Author Topic: Sheriff says third video shows student assaulting officer before desk-flipping takedown  (Read 1585 times)

rangerrebew

Sheriff says third video shows student assaulting officer before desk-flipping takedown
October 28, 2015 | BizPac Review

A South Carolina classroom has sparked the next wave of police criticism as a white male officer tried to remove a belligerent black female student from her desk on Monday.

Camera phone videos taken by other students show school resource officer Ben Fields using brute force to drag the teen from her chair after the desk toppled to the ground with her in it.

When initial videos hit the national news on Tuesday they sparked a fiery debate.

Richard County Sheriff Leon Lott released a statement on Facebook later in the day and he spoke with media outlets, including CNN’s Jake Tapper, about the investigation.

“His actions after he put his hands on her disturb me,” Lott said about the officer. But he added that there is a third video taken from a different angle that shows the girl “striking and punching at the officer.”

Read more: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/10/28/sheriff-says-third-video-shows-student-assaulting-officer-before-desk-flipping-takedown-268658#ixzz3pykHhNZP

Offline flowers

That is what I thought all along. She started it.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

Another "hands up - don't shoot" urban myth.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Wasn't the officer in question fired from his job after this incident?

Looks like he might have a good case for a lawsuit to clean up with some $$$$.

Offline sinkspur

Yeah.  A kid attacks an officer so that warrants a 240 pound cop slamming her down on the floor in her desk then dragging the desk out with her in it.

This cop should have been fired and should never be allowed in law enforcement again.  Like the cop in Plano who pinned a teenager to the ground who just mouthed off to him, hot heads have no place in police departments.  They make the rest of the force look bad.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Wasn't the officer in question fired from his job after this incident?

Looks like he might have a good case for a lawsuit to clean up with some $$$$.

LOL!!  Yeah.  And you think a jury will side with the cop looking at him dragging a minor out of a classroom still in her desk?

He's lucky.  He should find some line of work where he doesn't have to work with people or animals.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I witnessed something very similar years ago when I was in high school...it was a male math teacher who dragged out a girl and her desk into the hallway....this was a Catholic HS and he was a lay teacher...nothing happened to him and she was suspended for a few days........those were the days!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

I witnessed something very similar years ago when I was in high school...it was a male math teacher who dragged out a girl and her desk into the hallway....this was a Catholic HS and he was a lay teacher...nothing happened to him and she was suspended for a few days........those were the days!

In 1967, I witnessed a Roman Catholic brother punch--PUNCH, mind you--a sophomore in high school square in the mouth.  He knocked him out of the chair and bloodied both lips.  This was in a co-institutional high school, so just guys in the class. We were frozen.  Could not believe it.   The kid was out of school for a week (a suspension) and the brother was teaching that afternoon. 

The brother would have been in jail had he done that today and rightly so.

Offline aligncare

Nuns slapped me around pretty good. One day I came home with a hand print across my face. My mom said, "Good!"

Offline raml

Wow I went to a catholic school from first thru 12th grade and was never touched and I never saw anyone else ever touched by the nuns that taught us. I did see kids kicked out of the school if they misbehaved or caused to much trouble many times. I had a nephew kicked out in 9th grade due to not being respectful to teachers and the priests and he deserved it he was never physically touched though.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Odd, isn't it.

It's almost like Sisters and Brothers are, I dunno, human beings?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

Odd, isn't it.

It's almost like Sisters and Brothers are, I dunno, human beings?

Actually, abusive behavior by religious figures was widespread, but it was blessed by parents as "good" for the kids.

How many of those kids are still involved in the Catholic Church?  Few, if any.  And the numbers of clergy and religious has declined precipitously.

Don't have to beat on kids anymore to get respect.  Nobody is changed by punishment.  They're only changed by love.

Offline aligncare

My nuns never abused me. They simply got my attention, right quick.

Offline Paladin

Ah, yes, if only this officer had asked the girl, who is as innocent as a babe of course, to pretty please comply with her teacher's demand she leave; with the assistant principals three demands; and then his own.

Then he should have offered her a lollipop if she would only comply...please.

Lastly he could have sat down with her and tried to find out wherein her recalcitrance lay:lack of self esteem? test anxiety? his tone? the teacher's? the asst Surely the fault lies somewhere outside of her as she is a minority and therefore a victim, not the culprit. It is so obvious everything that went wrong was not her fault, not at all, and everyone else's misdeeds.

Lastly, of course, the ultimate solution would to be to bring in some armchair observer who wasn't there, had nothing to do with it, but could have shown the officer and everyone else how it should have been done. Which is?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline sinkspur

Ah, yes, if only this officer had asked the girl, who is as innocent as a babe of course, to pretty please comply with her teacher's demand she leave; with the assistant principals three demands; and then his own.

Then he should have offered her a lollipop if she would only comply...please.

Lastly he could have sat down with her and tried to find out wherein her recalcitrance lay:lack of self esteem? test anxiety? his tone? the teacher's? the asst Surely the fault lies somewhere outside of her as she is a minority and therefore a victim, not the culprit. It is so obvious everything that went wrong was not her fault, not at all, and everyone else's misdeeds.

Lastly, of course, the ultimate solution would to be to bring in some armchair observer who wasn't there, had nothing to do with it, but could have shown the officer and everyone else how it should have been done. Which is?

You think it's just fine for a 240 pound adult male, with 6 years in law enforcement, to slam a minor to the ground and drag out her desk with her in it.  Got it.

Boil it down, bub. You think the cop was right. His superiors thought otherwise and so do most sane people who watch the videos.

Offline Paladin

What should he have done?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline sinkspur

What should he have done?

I'm guessing anything short of what he did would have been appropriate.  When cops lose their tempers, they do things they regret.  Like this guy did.

Offline Paladin

Again: What should he have done?

Don't talk in generalities, please. Tell us specifically how you would have gotten her to comply.

Offline sinkspur

Again: What should he have done?

Don't talk in generalities, please. Tell us specifically how you would have gotten her to comply.

I wasn't there. Don't know.

That he was fired indicates his superiors thought he went beyond where he should have.  I agree.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
I would suggest a procedure such as this: First, clear the room entirely...everyone out except the belligerent student in question.  Second, since the student in question was female, get two female police officers in to accompany the male officer. The three would confront the student and remove her, if they needed to force her to leave three officers can do so in a less dramatically violent manner than one can. The optics have become very important these days.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I would suggest a procedure such as this: First, clear the room entirely...everyone out except the belligerent student in question.  Second, since the student in question was female, get two female police officers in to accompany the male officer. The three would confront the student and remove her, if they needed to force her to leave three officers can do so in a less dramatically violent manner than one can. The optics have become very important these days.
Very good.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Paladin

I wasn't there. Don't know.

Then why have you spoken so authoritatively on the incident?

"This cop should have been fired and should never be allowed in law enforcement again"

"LOL!!  Yeah.  And you think a jury will side with the cop looking at him dragging a minor out of a classroom still in her desk?

He's lucky.  He should find some line of work where he doesn't have to work with people or animals."

"That he was fired indicates his superiors thought he went beyond where he should have.".

Balderdash. All it shows is that they are terrified of being called racist, want to head off any negative community reaction, are willing to sacrifice their own officer to that end, truth be damned, and are especially concerned about the Obama DoJ getting them involved on some civil rights rap.

Offline Paladin

"Student walkout backs fired deputy at S.C. school"

"About 100 students at a South Carolina high school walked out of class briefly Friday to show support for a school resource officer fired after video showed him throwing an uncooperative black female student across the floor, according to local media and Twitter feeds.

The students walked out of classes at Spring Valley HIgh School in Columbia, S.C., around 10 a.m. and gathered in the atrium to express their views on the firing of Deputy Ben Fields.

Some in the crowd — which included both black and white students  — wore T-shirts reading "Free Fields" or  "#BringBackFields."

Some students had originally said their intent was to walk out of the building, but the students did not leave the campus, WLTX-TV reports."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/student-walkout-backs-fired-deputy-at-sc-school/ar-BBmD3GJ?ocid=spartandhp

Offline sinkspur

High school students don't get to vote or make important decisions for a reason.

They're kids.

Offline flowers

Students Protest: Bring Back Deputy Fired After Rough Classroom Arrest

http://www.newser.com/story/215323/students-protest-bring-back-deputy-fired-after-rough-classroom-arrest.html

(Newser) – A twist in the story of the South Carolina school resource officer fired after a classroom arrest turned violent—and went viral: About 100 Spring Valley High School students peacefully walked out of class Friday morning and gathered in the school's atrium to show support for former deputy Ben Fields and ask that he be given his job back. The school principal called the protest "an orderly student-led activity" and noted, "I addressed the students to let them know that we understood their need to make their voices heard. Then I reminded them that Spring Valley high is all about the business of teaching and learning, so it’s time to go back to class." Within less than 10 minutes, the students peacefully went back to class, he said, per The State.

Students used the hashtags #BringFieldsBack and #BringBackFields to show support on social media, though not everyone who used the hashtags was supportive: "This whole #BringBackFields thing makes me think of the battered woman who wants her abusive husband back," one Twitter user chimed in. But WREG reports that