Author Topic: Meet 7 Big Businesses Behind the Houston Ballot Measure  (Read 682 times)

Offline Paladin

Meet 7 Big Businesses Behind the Houston Ballot Measure
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:27:00 am »
This vote is tomorrow. How Houston reached this stage is beyond me though the handwriting was on the wall with the election of Kathryn Whitmire in 1982. It was about then I moved out of Houston to a more rural setting. Since then Houston, a great city, has slid lower and lower.

"On Tuesday, the people of Houston will head to the polls to vote on a controversial measure that would create legal protections related to sexual orientation and gender identity, among other categories.

The so-dubbed “bathroom bill” has gained national attention, pitting Houston at the center of the latest battle between LGBT and religious liberty advocates.

But residents aren’t the only ones having a say in the debate. According to groups supporting the measure, a number of big businesses have gotten behind the ballot initiative, urging voters to say “yes.” Seven of the biggest include:

1.Apple
2.BASF
3.Dell
4.Dow Co.
5.General Electric
6.Hewlett Packard
7.United Airlines

[snip]

These companies are joining more than 60 local businesses that have gotten behind the measure, along with more than 60 coalition members. Coalition members include the ACLU, the NAACP, and Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast.

The measure, called the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance (HERO), applies to city employment and city services, city contracts, public accommodations, private employment, and housing. Residents could be fined up to $5,000 for violating the measure."

http://dailysignal.com/2015/11/02/meet-7-big-businesses-behind-the-houston-ballot-measure/

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Paladin

Re: Meet 7 Big Businesses Behind the Houston Ballot Measure
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 04:54:06 am »
"Houston Equal Rights Ordinance fails by wide margin"

"Houston's controversial equal rights ordinance failed by a wide margin Tuesday, with voters opting to repeal the law that offered broad non-discrimination protections, according to incomplete and unofficial returns.

The hotly contested election has spurred national attention, drawing comment from the White House and the state's top officials.  Largely conservative opponents of the law allege that it would allow men dressed as women, including sexual predators, to enter women's restrooms.  Supporters of the law, including Mayor Annise Parker, argue that it extends an important local recourse for a range of protected classes to respond to discrimination.

Supporters released a written statement Tuesday night: "We are disappointed with today's outcome, but our work to secure nondiscrimination protections for all hard-working Houstonians will continue. No one should have to live with the specter of discrimination hanging over them. Everyone should have the freedom to work hard, earn a decent living and provide for themselves and their families."

The ordinance bans discrimination based not just on gender identity and sexual orientation, but also 13 classes already protected under federal law: sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy and genetic information, as well as family, marital or military status.

Businesses that serve the public, private employers, housing and city contracting are all subject to the law and face up to $5,000 in fines for violations. Religious institutions, however, are exempt. The ordinance was in effect for only three months between extensive legal challenges.

City Council passed the law 11-6 in May last year, but conservative foes launched an effort to force a repeal referendum that spanned more than one year of legal challenges. In July, the Texas Supreme Court ordered the city to either repeal the law or place in the ballot. By a 12-5 vote, City Council opted for the latter, officially unleashing two dueling campaigns."

http://www.chron.com/politics/election/local/article/HERO-results-6608562.php

Next task, Houstonians: turn out Parker and the council members who tried to impose this on you by fiat.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 04:54:57 am »
Sit on that Mayor Porker!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Paladin

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 04:58:59 am »
Doggone it, BugUn, was wondering why we hadn't heard from you on this subject.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 06:27:52 am »
This is one reason that I have no trust in the chamber of commerce lobby. Business is not conservative...it has become one of the most liberal classes of society.  I don't see enough difference between the Chamber and the ACLU, frankly.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

rangerrebew

New York Times Throws Massive Fit over Houston Voters Rejecting Transgender Bathroom Measure
By Curtis Houck | November 4, 2015 | 1:47 AM EST

In what was already a big night for conservatives on Tuesday with election wins in Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, and Virginia to name a few, voters in Houston, Texas overwhelmingly rejected a pro-transgender measure dubbed “the bathroom ordinance.” Not surprisingly, that did not sit well with The New York Times as it lamented the loss for the “equal rights ordinance.”

With the piece entitled “Houston Voters Reject Broad Anti-Discrimination Ordinance,” writers Manny Fernandez and Mitch Smith griped that the “yearlong battle over gay and transgender rights” had “turned into a costly, ugly war of words” came to a head when “voters repealed an anti-discrimination ordinance that had attracted attention from the White House, sports figures and Hollywood celebrities.”

The pair explained that the Democratically-controlled City Council had “passed the measure in May, but it was in limbo after opponents succeeded, following a lengthy court fight, in putting the matter to a referendum vote.”

In an earlier version, The Times whined that “[t]he rejection signaled that the country’s fourth-largest city and one that has been run by Democrats for decades was more conservative than its national reputation as a gay-friendly city might suggest.”

Predictably trying to make the supporters of the ordinance seem reasonable and opponents out of touch, the paper hyped:

Supporters said the ordinance was similar to those approved in 200 other cities and prohibited bias in housing, employment, city contracting and business services for 15 protected classes, including race, age, sexual orientation and gender identity. Opponents said the measure would allow men claiming to be women to enter women’s bathrooms and inflict harm, and that simple message — “No Men in Women’s Bathrooms” — was plastered on signs and emphasized in television and radio ads, turning the debate from one about equal rights to one about protecting women and girls from sexual predators.

Fernandez and Smith later invoked Democratic lesbian Mayor Annise Parker as having a variety of supporters who all “accused opponents of using fearmongering against gay people, and farfetched talk of bathroom attacks, to generate support for a repeal.” Speaking of Parker, the duo dubbed it a “a personal blow” to Parker.

Looking to belittle Christians and conservatives against the pro-LGBT measure, they continued (with the link inserted by this writer):

Opponents of the measure — including Mr. Patrick, pastors of conservative megachurches and the former Houston Astros baseball star Lance Berkman — said the ordinance had nothing to do with discrimination and was about the mayor’s gay agenda being forced on the city. They denied that they had any bias against gay people, and said the ordinance was so vague that it would make anyone who tried to keep any man from entering a women’s bathroom the subject of a city investigation and fine.

Also in the previous version, the article mourned:

Supporters failed to counter campaign signs and ads by opponents that cast the ordinance as a safety issue. Opponents deployed signs with the slogan “No Men in Women’s Bathrooms” and produced ads playing on fears that male sexual predators dressed as women would gain new freedom to enter women’s restrooms. The ordinance says nothing specifically about whether men can use women’s restrooms.

Turning to the broader impact of the rejection, Fernandez and Smith attempted to employ the same line of thinking the liberal media used against Indiana and the City of Indianapolis in March concerning religious freedom:

The immediate effect of the vote is unclear. Ms. Parker and her supporters said Houston would lose tourism and convention business if the city had to repeal the ordinance and became known for intolerance, just as a backlash in Indiana over a religious-objections law led to convention cancellations and boycotts before that law was changed. Supporters worried that a repeal of the Houston ordinance could also jeopardize its selection as host city for the Super Bowl in 2017.

Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/curtis-houck/2015/11/04/new-york-times-throws-massive-fit-over-houston-voters-rejecting

Offline aligncare

The New York Times has always been in favor of the inmates running the asylum.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The New York Times has always been in favor of the inmates running the asylum.

The NY Times is owned and run by a buch of outright Communists!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 02:30:22 pm »
This is one reason that I have no trust in the chamber of commerce lobby. Business is not conservative...it has become one of the most liberal classes of society.  I don't see enough difference between the Chamber and the ACLU, frankly.

Spot on Scotty! AGAIN!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 02:36:08 pm »

Need a new name for it: United States Chamber of Crony Capitalists. Big business in bed with Big government = Bad for you and me.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 02:42:09 pm »
Need a new name for it: United States Chamber of Crony Capitalists. Big business in bed with Big government = Bad for you and me.

Works for me!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien