Author Topic: Trump Falsely Credits Himself With Ford Moving Plant From Mexico To Ohio  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://www.redstate.com/2015/10/25/trump-falsely-credits-himself-ford-plant/

Saying Donald Trump has a big ego would be as revelatory as saying the sun rises in the east. That Donald Trump exaggerates his accomplishments and downplays his own failures would pretty much make him like the average politician. But there are times when a person’s hubris gets to the point where it reaches the level of the absurd. For Donald Trump, it’s taking credit for a business move made by Ford that he had absolutely nothing to do with.

It’s one thing for a person who actually holds office and who is implementing policy to believe their policies have an effect on business decisions that are made and often it is true. But Donald Trump has never sniffed public office and yet somehow, he and his loyal followers are convinced his rhetoric on issues such as trade are influencing decisions.

In this case, Trump and his fans are taking credit for the Ford Motor Company moving a production plant from Mexico to Ohio. From the site Right Wing News:

Ohio must be thrilled!! Under pressure, Ford is moving back their Mexican plant (worth 2 billion) back to the states… Youngstown, Ohio to be exact. There will be 1,000 new jobs for factory workers there. I’m sure I’m not alone with an urge to weep in relief over that one development. Ford must believe that Trump will be the next president. That’s all I can take away from this. Trump has said that if he’s elected, he will make it very expensive for manufacturers who have relocated outside the US and then sell their products back here. Ford must have done the math and figured that would cost them a great deal.

Trump wasted no time in attempting to take credit:

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

Word is that Ford Motor, because of my constant badgering at packed events, is going to cancel their deal to go to Mexico and stay in U.S.
3:36 PM - 25 Oct 2015 · Manhattan, NY, United States

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

Do you think I will get credit for keeping Ford in U.S. Who cares, my supporters know the truth. Think what can be done as president!
3:39 PM - 25 Oct 2015 · Manhattan, NY, United States

The reality however, is much different. Nick Mascari, at the Ohio-centric blog Third Base Politics calls BS on this:

Let’s be absolutely clear. Donald Trump had nothing to do with this. It happened in 2011.

This move was the result of a negotiations and deals between Ford, the Kasich administration, local officials and the UAW. Period.

This past summer, after millions of dollars of investment in the plant, the first heavy duty Ford truck rolled off the assembly line in the re-tooled Avon, Ohio plant. Mr. Voltova seems to have read this CNN Money article about it, and decided to inexplicably give Trump the credit.

Details from the story linked above:

Ford Motor Co. received a tax incentive that could retain 1,400 jobs and maintain operations at its Ohio Assembly Plant for the next 18 years, according to a deal with the Ohio Tax Credit Authority.

Gov. John R. Kasich will join Ford Vice President of North American Manufacturing Jim Tetreault and Ohio Assembly Plant Manager Alex Maciag at a press conference today at 9:30 a.m.

The announcement, which will take place at Ford Motor Co.’s Ohio Assembly Plant’s administrative Building in Sheffield Lake, will include information about Ford’s investment commitment and future product plans for the plant.

It appeared the tax credits would be part of Ford’s commitment to move its medium truck and frame assembly to Ohio from Mexico, an investment of $128 million.

Donald Trump is taking credit now for a move Ford decided on nearly four years ago. Not only that, it had zero to do with trade and immigration but instead, tax incentives.

Sadly, this will be yet another example of Trump running his mouth and the media failing to call him out over it. It is a story so easy to debunk it would take even the laziest of journalists hardly any effort to tell people what really went down. I won’t hold my breath.

I wonder if Trump will ever be able to take credit for moving his Mexico clothing plant to the US?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2015/08/17/trump-the-hypocrite-investing-overseas-fine-for-him/

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump Falsely Credits Himself With Ford Moving Plant From Mexico To Ohio
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 02:00:14 am »

The reality however, is much different. Nick Mascari, at the Ohio-centric blog Third Base Politics calls BS on this:

Donald Trump is taking credit now for a move Ford decided on nearly four years ago. Not only that, it had zero to do with trade and immigration but instead, tax incentives.

Sadly, this will be yet another example of Trump running his mouth and the media failing to call him out over it. It is a story so easy to debunk it would take even the laziest of journalists hardly any effort to tell people what really went down. I won’t hold my breath.

I wonder if Trump will ever be able to take credit for moving his Mexico clothing plant to the US?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2015/08/17/trump-the-hypocrite-investing-overseas-fine-for-him/

LOL!!! Aren't Trump's   ties made in  China?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:05:25 am »
Well I'm waiting for the excuse by the Trump supporters for this one..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 02:08:27 am »

That Forbes article deserves a little more detail:

Donald Trump’s appeal is said to be his straight talk. But when it comes to international trade, he sounds like a hypocrite, the classic “Do what I say, not what I do” politician.

While bashing companies for investing in foreign countries, Donald Trump’s own company has shown no inclination to invest and build only in America. In fact, a significant percentage of his company’s hotels and major real estate properties are located abroad.

“Mr. Trump is either inexcusably hypocritical or inexcusably ignorant of economics,” according to Donald J. Boudreaux, a professor of economics at George Mason University. “There is zero economic difference between, say, a U.S. car company’s investments abroad in factories and Mr. Trump’s own investments abroad in hotels: both are meant to improve the bottom line of companies headquartered in the U.S. by taking advantage of profitable economic opportunities outside of the U.S.”

Yet a staple of Trump the candidate’s speeches has been to bash Ford Motor for building a plant in Mexico. “Trump has repeatedly said that if elected, he would not allow Ford to open a new plant in Mexico,” reported the Detroit News. “At his campaign announcement speech in New York in June, Trump said he would call [Ford CEO Mark] Fields to explain the ‘bad news.’”

“Let me give you the bad news:  Every car, every truck and every part manufactured in this plant that comes across the border, we’re going to charge you a 35% tax,” Trump said. “They are going to take away thousands of jobs.”

The Detroit News noted, “It isn’t clear how Trump could legally single out one automaker for punitive taxes.”

Ford spokesman Karl Henkel said: “Mark [Fields] sent Mr. Trump an email with information about Ford, including the $6.2 billion we have invested in our U.S. plants since 2011 and our hiring of nearly 25,000 U.S. employees.”

“When it comes to political hypocrisy, Donald Trump deserves a gold medal,” said Mark J. Perry, a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan-Flint and creator of the economics blog Carpe Diem. “At the same time that the billionaire businessman criticizes Ford for producing some of its cars in Mexico, and threatens to stop any expansion there and impose a 35% tax on Ford imports from Mexico, he certainly has no trouble taking advantage of the global marketplace when it comes to his own businesses.”

Perry notes Trump has imported clothing from China and Mexico produced for his brand. “For Trump to operate, outsource and invest globally while criticizing companies like Ford for doing the same is the ultimate hypocrisy. To be fair to Ford, Trump should either agree to impose a 35% tax on Trump Collection clothing and agree to stop investing overseas, or he should stop his threats against Ford for operating as a global carmaker.”

As economists such as Don Boudreaux and Mark Perry point out, there is no real difference between a U.S. car company investing in a foreign country and a real estate company building a hotel or office building in a foreign country.

Under “Our Hotels” on the Trump Hotel Collection website, it lists six domestic hotels and six international hotels. Is the problem Ford is building something in Latin America? Well, there are Trump hotels in Panama and Rio de Janeiro. The other hotels abroad are in Toronto, Doonbeg, Ireland, Vancouver, and Baku, Azerbaijan. (Toronto and Vancouver also have a Trump Tower.)

On the website for the Trump Real Estate Collection, nine international properties are listed, including two Trump Towers in India and one in Istanbul, another in Uruguay and another in the Philippines, as well as a Trump World in South Korea, among others.

If one argued the way Donald Trump argues on the campaign trail, then one could say that Donald Trump is costing America jobs by building hotels and commercial real estate in foreign countries instead of in the United States. In theory, the same money used to build and staff more than a dozen properties abroad could have supported thousands of jobs in America.

Donald Trump and his executive team believed a better use of the company’s capital was to invest its money abroad rather in the United States and that those investments in foreign countries would be more profitable.

There is nothing wrong with the company Donald Trump leads investing in other countries. However, there is something wrong when he attacks the head of another company for doing the same.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 02:08:31 am »

LOL!!! Aren't Trump's   ties made in  China?
According to Trump yes.  http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/07/01/donald-trump-china-made-ties-sotu-intv.cnn But he said that all the way back in July of 2015.  He may have said 50 or more contradictory things since then.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:09:16 am by Once-Ler »

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 02:09:13 am »
According to Trump yes.  http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/07/01/donald-trump-china-made-ties-sotu-intv.cnn But he said that all the way back in July of 2015.  He may have said 50 or more contradictory thing since then.

:silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 04:05:22 am »
While bashing companies for investing in foreign countries, Donald Trump’s own company has shown no inclination to invest and build only in America. In fact, a significant percentage of his company’s hotels and major real estate properties are located abroad.

“Mr. Trump is either inexcusably hypocritical or inexcusably ignorant of economics,” according to Donald J. Boudreaux, a professor of economics at George Mason University. “There is zero economic difference between, say, a U.S. car company’s investments abroad in factories and Mr. Trump’s own investments abroad in hotels: both are meant to improve the bottom line of companies headquartered in the U.S. by taking advantage of profitable economic opportunities outside of the U.S.”

You can tell it's a Professor of Economics. Couldn't buy a clue with a full wallet.

To put it simply for him:

You can tighten bolts and weld steel anywhere. Hotels sort of, by definition, have to be in places people want to go.

The difference is glaring.

(Note- not addressing the clothing line thing, that IS hypocritical in my book, but Trump's main line of business - nuh-uh.)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 04:33:03 am »
You can tell it's a Professor of Economics. Couldn't buy a clue with a full wallet.

To put it simply for him:

You can tighten bolts and weld steel anywhere. Hotels sort of, by definition, have to be in places people want to go.

The difference is glaring.

Could you please stop pouring cold water on my burning Trump bashing...just because it is intellectually dishonest.  I'm trying to drink and be merry.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 04:44:22 am »
 :beer:

Carry on, Sir!   :whistle:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 06:44:08 am »
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/trump-kasich-ford-mexico/2015/10/25/id/698947/

GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump claimed credit Sunday for Ford Motor Company's plans to move a production plant from Mexico to Ohio.

Trump has been calling out Ford during his campaign, saying the automaker plans to move jobs from Michigan to Mexico, but Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who also is seeking the Republican presidential nomination, says the move from Mexico to Ohio had nothing to Trump's demands.
"The truth is that Ford began moving jobs back to Ohio four years ago under the leadership of Governor John Kasich," the governor's campaign said in a statement to the press on Sunday night.

"Our country needs real leadership and not empty, false rhetoric," Kasich said. "Working as a team, we brought Ford production jobs back from Mexico to Ohio years ago. That's how things really get done. Hard work and teamwork brings results for the people."

When Kasich announced Ford was bringing the jobs to Ohio in 2011 the vice president of Ford North America Manufacturing said it was "enabled by the Governor and his strong leadership," the campaign noted.

Gov. Kasich should be proud of the work Don Trump is taking credit for.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 06:44:43 am by Once-Ler »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 10:05:05 am »
The state of Ohio bought that plant....

The Avon Lake investment included a $15 million, 15-year tax credit deal by the Ohio Tax Credit Authority. The deal is contingent on at least 1,400 hourly workers being retained at the plant.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2014/01/16/ford-workers-blindsided-layoff-announcement/

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 03:11:15 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/trump-kasich-ford-mexico/2015/10/25/id/698947/

Gov. Kasich should be proud of the work Don Trump is taking credit for.

Kadich is not a blowhard like Trump is.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 03:41:51 pm »
And Al Gore created the Internet.

The Democrats know Al Gore never did any such thing. I've been around them laughing about it.  And still they back him and support him - they love the guy.

Republicans need to learn to fight like the Democrats do...
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 03:53:09 pm »
Republicans need to learn to fight like the Democrats do...

Not gonna happen in our lifetime.  Republicans want to be loved, be the "nice" guys, above the fray.  And so on.

And the press corps will beat them to a pulp every single time, no matter what they say/do.

I was sorry to hear Rick Perry's remarks early on.  I was fooled into thinking he was the man who could ball up his hand and make a fist.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 08:59:44 pm »
Not gonna happen in our lifetime.  Republicans want to be loved, be the "nice" guys, above the fray.  And so on.

And the press corps will beat them to a pulp every single time, no matter what they say/do.

I was sorry to hear Rick Perry's remarks early on.  I was fooled into thinking he was the man who could ball up his hand and make a fist.

Agree the RINOGOP whatever fight they had is gone years ago. The left overs like the TRUMP haters on here only BASH but never tell anyone whom they support and why and how will they make a difference. We have a lot of Granny's who just bash and bitch for the sake of bitching and they are all experts in business, foreign relations, immigration especially illegal and military . They get a fighter like TRUMP and they bitch, they want a plan both for illegals and the economy then they get one, then they want a TAX plan. He gives them one and the bitch BUT their person does nothing and they Bitch about TRUMP for RUBIO, BUSHIE, and any other RINO not doing anything. It is TRUMP fault they do nothing. TRUMP could have not stopped FORD going to Mexico but he sure made it not to comfortable for them and the PUBLIC knowing FORD was moving out of the country and the JOBS with them. Do you think they would have NOT gone if Bushie, RUBIO,CARSON or HILLARY would have said anything. Hell BUSH or HILLARY would have paid for the move. Only FORD made the decision to not go. Kasich does not even know where Mexico is let alone the BUSINESS end of it. Most enjoyable especially with the TRUMP haters on here whom just like to bitch and have no solutions for anything. Please keep it up. :silly:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:05:03 pm by Longiron »

Offline flowers

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 09:06:15 pm »
Well I'm waiting for the excuse by the Trump supporters for this one..
:laugh: 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 02:10:30 am »
Longiron wrote:
"Do you think they would have NOT gone if Bushie, RUBIO,CARSON or HILLARY would have said anything. Hell BUSH or HILLARY would have paid for the move. Only FORD made the decision to not go. Kasich does not even know where Mexico is let alone the BUSINESS end of it. Most enjoyable especially with the TRUMP haters on here whom just like to bitch and have no solutions for anything."

Great rant, Longiron.

And dead-on accurate, too!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 02:20:08 am »
Agree the RINOGOP whatever fight they had is gone years ago. The left overs like the TRUMP haters on here only BASH but never tell anyone whom they support and why and how will they make a difference. We have a lot of Granny's who just bash and bitch for the sake of bitching and they are all experts in business, foreign relations, immigration especially illegal and military . They get a fighter like TRUMP and they bitch, they want a plan both for illegals and the economy then they get one, then they want a TAX plan. He gives them one and the bitch BUT their person does nothing and they Bitch about TRUMP for RUBIO, BUSHIE, and any other RINO not doing anything. It is TRUMP fault they do nothing. TRUMP could have not stopped FORD going to Mexico but he sure made it not to comfortable for them and the PUBLIC knowing FORD was moving out of the country and the JOBS with them. Do you think they would have NOT gone if Bushie, RUBIO,CARSON or HILLARY would have said anything. Hell BUSH or HILLARY would have paid for the move. Only FORD made the decision to not go. Kasich does not even know where Mexico is let alone the BUSINESS end of it. Most enjoyable especially with the TRUMP haters on here whom just like to bitch and have no solutions for anything. Please keep it up. :silly:

IOW, you think Trump forced FORD to stay in America. 

He had nothing to do with it. Kasich and the state of Ohio changed their minds.

You Trumpies are veiling this septuagenarian with messianic qualities, just as Obama's boot-lickers did with him.

Nauseating.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.