Author Topic: Wedded 'throuples' coming to America. 'If marriage is not the union of a man and a woman, why limit it to 2 people?'  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Aha............ there's where you got confused, Dex.  I do nothing to hinder their 'lifestyle' as you suggested.  I just don't want government to sanction their 'lifestyle' by calling it marriage (it's not).

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize you don't actually support anything that would hinder the homosexual/polygamous lifestyle.

Though you'll never win the argument..........

I have to try.  ^-^
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

No fair drawing a line, Dex.  Stop imposing your will on people who just want to love who they love.

Bigot.

One is obviously victimization/rape and the other is not. Do you think the two are comparable?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:12:09 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

Another "I know you are but what am I" rounds of nonsensical circular discussion, folks. 11513

Musiclady and I are having a years long competition to determine who is the most stubborn poster on this forum.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:18:16 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

Musiclady and I are having a years long competition to determine who is the most stubborn poster on this forum.

And I win.

The difference between us is that I am right.   :smokin:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Dexter

And I win.

The difference between us is that I am right.   :smokin:

Funny, I was thinking something similar.  :laugh:
-Socrates

Offline Carling

Gay marriage is "legal" because SCOTUS decided that being gay is a protected civil right, and denying or refusing to legally accept gay marriage is unconstitutional under this SCOTUS decision in all US states.

Unless a similar SCOTUS decision is made regarding poly marriages, or marriages with dogs, or brother and sister, or etc. etc., this is a state issue, and under the "new" constitutional interpretation, other states don't legally have to acknowledge those marriages if a state decides to start allowing them.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:50:02 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Oceander

Lets go... :)
If we eliminate the advantages of marriage (taxes etc), I wonder how long all of this nonsense would last...

Very little time.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Scott observes above:
"The western world has become a very weird place."

That's why it's not going to remain "the western world" for very much longer...

Offline EdinVA

When do we vote?  :)

Offline Lando Lincoln

There are many aspects of this topic that trouble me and I will express myself anecdotally; that is, I won't be compelled to list recitations of studies, articles, examples, etc.  Read what I have to say.  Take it, or leave it.  Your choice. 

The first issue is that today's convention - or orthodoxy - is that if you speak out in defense of traditional marriage, or if you challenge so-called same sex marriage, it is because you are bigoted or filled with hatred.  And, Lord knows, you certainly can't cite God or religious beliefs as rationale for your beliefs.  THAT would make you a religious bigot - perhaps the lowest form of bigot to the enlightened (yes, there is a tinge of hypocritical judgment in that).  To think that someone could possibly question changes to one of the most fundamental societal institutions on the basis of serious concern simply does not register to those so otherwise invested.  In fact, this labeling is true for simply asking questions. 

So then, considering this premise or standard, I'm a bigot.  Moving on...

Those invested in the sweeping alteration to the institution of marriage ask such simple questions as, "What does it hurt?";  "Why shouldn't someone love who they want to?"; or, "Who cares what their love interests are?"  The answers to those questions are, of course, largely as shallow as the questions themselves.  Given that marriage is both a social and legal contract, it seems to me other questions are valid and worthy of being asked.  Do the married same sex partners have the same legal rights and privileges as heterosexual marriages?  If so, does that apply to children? Adoption? Let's take adoption.  If all else is equal between two qualified sets of parents - one same sex, one traditional - how is the matter settled?  How should it be settled?  Should the child be considered?  At all or in the least?  What about long-term effects to society.  Yes, yes, one only needs to listen to NPR to know that there are countless studies that say that the impact is or will be nil.  And, in fact (!!!), the child will be a better adjusted person on the whole compared to his/her/its traditional counterpart (more snarkiness).  But do we really know?  Me?  I suspect we won't know for generations.  I am mindful of the disintegration of the traditional, nuclear family in the inner cities and elsewhere while many of those erudite experts said it wouldn't matter.

There are many other questions involving property rights, costs to society, infringements on "rights" of others, religious beliefs and faith issues.  Where DOES this go from here.  Polygamy?  More?  Where is the line?  Blurred or distinct?  Who draws it?  Is the basis solely how people feel?  When does the tipping point happen and our unraveling is complete? 

To raise these questions seriously and in good faith is impossible for the most part.  We are seeing dramatic and irreversible changes to the traditional values which were the basis of our Nation; in its founding and development.  I take that seriously and I feel I have a right to ask questions.  As it is, the simple act of asking those questions labels me a bigot. 

So be it.

As I said, moving on...
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck