Author Topic: Carson In 1999: White People “Have No Grasp” On History Of Racial Violence In U.S  (Read 780 times)

Offline Carling

“Black Americans, on the other hand, find it almost impossible to think about ‘fairness’ or ‘justice’ in anything but racial terms — because of our nation’s historical record of unfairness and injustice to our race,” Carson wrote in the book The Big Picture.

In his 1999 book, Dr. Ben Carson wrote that our nation’s history on racial injustices made it impossible for the black community to think of the judicial system in anything but racial terms and that white Americans were only able to view racial violence in a modern context.

In his book, The Big Picture, released by Zondervan, Carson argued white Americans had “no grasp on the history of racial violence in this country.” Carson wrote of a time his mother was thrown in jail for a minor traffic violation as an example of personal history of the racial injustice in criminal justice system.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ben-carson-in-1999?utm_term=.yazL84q6k#.skN9gXZEd

I'm not sure I trust the guy.  He even admitted that he used to be "a pretty left-wing Democrat" in August.  Is he another Colin Powell who will cave in to racial pressures?

If Trump gets bashed for his comments in the past, along with donations to Democrats, shouldn't we apply the same standard to Dr. Carson?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:44:44 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline aligncare

Funny. I've said it many times in the past, that on matters of race, Obama has poisoned the well for future black presidential candidates. Yet here I am, I hadn't even considered that point when when it came to Ben Carson. Hadn't really thought of him in racial terms, I guess. But, that just makes me a typical conservative; we don't roll that way. We don't focus on skin color, just content of character.

Offline Carling

Funny. I've said it many times in the past, that on matters of race, Obama has poisoned the well for future black presidential candidates. Yet here I am, I hadn't even considered that point when when it came to Ben Carson. Hadn't really thought of him in racial terms, I guess. But, that just makes me a typical conservative; we don't roll that way. We don't focus on skin color, just content of character.

I'm the same way.  I'm disappointed that a fellow "conservative" such as Ben Carson would wave the racial victim flag, though.  It makes me leery of how sturdy he will be when he's called a traitor to his race by both Democrats and the media.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

Who knows what Carson might say tomorrow?  He had the most confusing interview with Chris Wallace on FOX this morning.  Wallace was trying to pin him down on whether or not he wanted to eliminate Medicare.  Like jello, Carson was all over the place,mostly accusing Wallace of mischaracterizing him when Wallace just wanted to know if that's what he still believed or had he changed.

I'm still not sure where Carson stands on Medicare.   They guy is all over the lot of many issues.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Quote from: aligncare link=topic=183994.msg727800#msg 727800 date=1445812737
If I may be candid, I'm pretty sure that his race is the only reason the general public ever considered him a contender in the first place. I only say that because the left puts so much emphasis on the whole "women and minorities" canard that there is a certain knee-jerk reaction on the right to favor women and minorities. It's not a bad thing—I'm not saying that only white men should run the country, and if a woman and/or minority is willing and able to fight for conservatism then by all means get them into office stat—but Carson's résumé is quite thin for a Presidential candidate: no history of governmental or political experience whatsoever, no major leadership positions in the private sector (and even corporations tend to get some respect in Republican primaries in this regard), and so on. Yes, he's a brain surgeon, a position that requires a lot of precision and knowledge, but in a very specific and narrow field that doesn't apply itself well to politics, unless somehow he's managed to uncover the secret to mind control, and at this point he hasn't shown that skill yet.

Had Ben Carson been white, the comments he made about Obamacare would not have stood out from the crowd the way they did when Carson said them. We take notice because it's such an aberration, with over 90% of the U.S. black voting population repeatedly voting straight-line Democrat and never considering anything else.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Who knows what Carson might say tomorrow?  He had the most confusing interview with Chris Wallace on FOX this morning.  Wallace was trying to pin him down on whether or not he wanted to eliminate Medicare.  Like jello, Carson was all over the place,mostly accusing Wallace of mischaracterizing him when Wallace just wanted to know if that's what he still believed or had he changed.

I'm still not sure where Carson stands on Medicare.   They guy is all over the lot of many issues.
When that happens, I tend to suspect the position he holds is a very unpopular one that would kill his electoral chances. It'd be easy to simply stand up there and say "your Medicare is safe," because nobody wants to be on record cutting entitlements, especially for the elderly, a key Republican constituency. (That's part of the problem with politics today; self-interest dominates over the fiscal health of a nation soon to be in serious distress.) If Carson believed that, he'd have said that because it's a popular thing to say and would win him support. So he probably wouldn't be opposed to cutting Medicare. The hospital insurance fund is running dangerously short on funds and may be out of money within a decade, so he has to be prepared for what happens after that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
aligncare wrote:
"But, that just makes me a typical conservative; we don't roll that way. We don't focus on skin color, just content of character."

And then Carling wrote:
"I'm the same way.  I'm disappointed that a fellow "conservative" such as Ben Carson would wave the racial victim flag, though.  It makes me leery of how sturdy he will be when he's called a traitor to his race by both Democrats and the media."

I used to at least try to think that way.

But after having been attacked by blacks without provocation -- not once, but TWICE (second time even made the papers here) -- I don't think that way no mo'.

I see all that talk about "the content of character" as little more than a polite facade.
I see reality for what it is.

I'm a white guy.
I'll vote for people who represent my interests -as- "a white guy".

Unfortunately I see few -- VERY few -- blacks who could fulfill that job qualification.

Sooner or later, they just about ALL "fall back to the color line".

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if this wasn't true?

Offline GourmetDan

Sooner or later, they just about ALL "fall back to the color line".

That's my problem w/ Carson... he clearly sees himself as black first... I'm real tired of that...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline libertybele

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ben-carson-in-1999?utm_term=.yazL84q6k#.skN9gXZEd

I'm not sure I trust the guy.  He even admitted that he used to be "a pretty left-wing Democrat" in August.  Is he another Colin Powell who will cave in to racial pressures?

If Trump gets bashed for his comments in the past, along with donations to Democrats, shouldn't we apply the same standard to Dr. Carson?

:beer:   Agreed.  I've said it several times; he has no voting record to check on.  He has no political experience whatsoever.  He his a neurosurgeon; hardly qualifications to be POTUS.  He talks a conservative talk, but what else do we really know about Carson?  With his demeanor I can't see him debating well.  This isn't his first comment regarding race and  I think that speaks volumes; he claims he wants to be rid of all the political correctness?  I'm not buying it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.