Author Topic: Trump HIT Carson for being Seventh Day Adventist!!  (Read 8906 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Trump HIT Carson for being Seventh Day Adventist!!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 08:15:21 pm »
With all due respect, one can call himself anything he likes. That's exactly what Trump is doing.

It's very true that one can call himself anything he likes. The proof is in the pudding isn't it?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 08:39:06 pm »
This might be the stupidest, most ridiculously overblown thread I've ever seen - including anything on TOS. Did anyone of the Trump Haters © actually bother to listen to what he said?  Did anyone here starting religious flaming even bother? He was not attacking SDA, he said he knew about his own denomination and he didn't know anything about SDA. So F***ing what?  I don't know anything at all about SDA either, I've never bothered because I've never been interested.  Saying you don't know about a denomination is not bashing them. I don't know about Episcopalians either.

And then we start in on Mormon bashing again?  WTF? 
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 08:46:01 pm »
This might be the stupidest, most ridiculously overblown thread I've ever seen - including anything on TOS. Did anyone of the Trump Haters © actually bother to listen to what he said?  Did anyone here starting religious flaming even bother? He was not attacking SDA, he said he knew about his own denomination and he didn't know anything about SDA. So F***ing what?  I don't know anything at all about SDA either, I've never bothered because I've never been interested.  Saying you don't know about a denomination is not bashing them. I don't know about Episcopalians either.

And then we start in on Mormon bashing again?  WTF?

I am thoroughly disgusted by the Trump haters we have on our forum.

To a person, they should be totally embarrassed.  They seem to make complete fools of themselves on virtually every Trump thread.

It's time to "man up" and admit it.  You can begin by apologizing to the rest of us.

Embarrassing....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 09:11:16 pm »
I went to the story link that was posted - that story was a snip from the original story in the Washington Post - which has a different headline.  The story from this thread's link was posted by "Soopermexican".

I didn't see any "bashing" - only him saying he didn't know about Seventh-day Adventists.  Apparently, Ben Carson had previously remarked about Trump's religion - but I guess that's OK.  I didn't see any of the religion defenders attacking Carson for opining on Trump's religion.   

The original story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/24/donald-trump-seeks-a-sharp-a-contrast-with-ben-carsons-seventh-day-adventist-faith/?postshare=6841445720090401

Donald Trump seeks a sharp contrast with Ben
Carson’s Seventh-day Adventist faith

By Sean Sullivan October 24 at 4:54 PM

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. ­­ Donald Trump on Saturday contrasted his Presbyterian faith with that of Seventh-­day Adventists, apparently attempting to draw attention to and raise doubts about Republican presidential rival Ben Carson's religious beliefs.

Speaking at a campaign rally here, Trump was in the midst of discussing his standing in the polls, including recent Iowa surveys that showed him falling behind Carson in the GOP race. Then, he brought up religion.

"I love Iowa. And, look, I don't have to say it, I'm Presbyterian," said Trump. "Can you believe it? Nobody believes I'm Presbyterian. I'm Presbyterian. I'm Presbyterian. I'm Presbyterian. Boy, that's down the middle of the road folks, in all fairness. I mean, Seventh­day Adventist, I don't know about. I just don't know about."

Politically, the matter could become an issue in the lead­up to the Iowa caucuses. As the Des Moines Register notes, "some conservatives have argued Seventh­day Adventists … aren't Christians."

Carson is a twice-­baptized Seventh-­day Adventist, which he describes in his book "Gifted Hands." Seventh-­day Adventists are Protestants who observe the  Sabbath on Saturday, unlike most Christians, including Presbyterians, who observe it on Sunday. The church also takes a very literal view of the Bible.

"We believe that the biblical events recorded in Genesis 1­11, including the special creation of human beings, are historical and recent, that the seven days of creation were literal 24 hour days forming a literal week, and that the Flood was global in nature," reads the church's official Web site.

Trump's remark came as he and Carson, two first­time candidates, have risen to the top of the GOP pack. Trump repeatedly criticized Carson during a two­day campaign swing in Florida, calling the soft­spoken retired neurosurgeon "super low­energy" on Friday night.

Asked whether Trump meant to single out Carson's religion with his Saturday comments, Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks said: "I think the remark speaks for itself."

It's not the first instance of religious tension between Trump and Carson. In September, Carson suggested that Trump doesn’t appear to live out his faith ­­ a comment he later said he regretted.

Carson's campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Sean Sullivan has covered national politics for The Washington Post since 2012.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online libertybele

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2015, 09:34:45 pm »
I think the sentence "In September, Carson suggested that Trump doesn’t appear to live out his faith ­­ a comment he later said he regretted." ... speaks volumes.  It appears that both candidates are out to tear each other down; "Christianity" should be one area in which IMHO they should refrain from. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2015, 09:35:17 pm »
I suspect a lot of them are Baptists (and I apologize to any Baptists on the board in advance who don't fit this description). It's a narrow mindset I find a lot in Baptist circles.

(As for me—and standard disclaimer, I was raised as a Methodist—I think that, in general, those denominations are Christian, since the same fundamental belief in salvation through Christ is the same in all of them. That isn't to say that everything they believe about it is accurate, but much of it, at least, isn't harmful, simply a matter of personal taste.)

As one who was raised Baptist (and became Presbyterian), I'd like to point out that there are a lot of different kind of  Baptists, some of whom are not those you describe, but some of whom are.  I'm not sure what percentage of the religious bigots on TOS are Baptist, but I'd bet some of them are.

I'd also like to point out that, relative to the SDA, most Presbyterians are liberal.  If one belongs to the PCUSA and espouses their neo-doctrine (no authority in Scripture, but priority to cultural whims, strongly oppose Israel, support gay marriage ferociously, etc.), then they are most certainly a political liberal.

Don't know what part of the Presbyterian church Trump belongs to, but it might be a concern.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 09:35:54 pm »
I think the sentence "In September, Carson suggested that Trump doesn’t appear to live out his faith ­­ a comment he later said he regretted." ... speaks volumes.  It appears that both candidates are out to tear each other down; "Christianity" should be one area in which IMHO they should refrain from.

Agree.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2015, 09:53:40 pm »
Just for the record I never said a word on this thread until the following showed up and still have not said a single word about either Trump or Carson on it.

Mormons are not Christians; they don't profess a belief in the Christian Trinity, which is the basic minimum belief that characterizes Christian faiths.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Paladin

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 10:06:18 pm »
Mormons are not Christians; they don't profess a belief in the Christian Trinity, which is the basic minimum belief that characterizes Christian faiths.

Dear heavens, must we start importing this ugliness here, too? It is one of the more unpleasant features of TOS and simply has no place in intelligent and courteous discussion.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782"
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2015, 10:09:52 pm »
Dear heavens, must we start importing this ugliness here, too? It is one of the more unpleasant features of TOS and simply has no place in intelligent and courteous discussion.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782"

:amen:
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2015, 10:18:30 pm »
I think it was last week when Trump was asked why he hasn't attacked Carson.  His answer was, "because he hasn't come after me."    Well these polls did it. Carson, the "OK doctor"  is now officially on his hit list.  The guy is a complete horses ass, and proves it more and more every time he opens his mouth.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2015, 10:36:17 pm »
Did anyone of the Trump Haters © actually bother to listen to what he said? 

Yes we did, and though it was not a direct attack on SDAs, how I interpreted what he said is, that he was sending  a message to many Christian conservatives who claim the Seventh Day Adventists are not Christian, making it known to all what faith Carson is.   I like and support Carson and knew he was a strong Christian, yet this is the first I heard he was SDA.  That's how strong and affective  Trump's little comment was. And frankly I don't care if he is SDA.

So if you and the Trump supporters don't like us calling him out on this one, you can just go ahead and throw your little tantrums, we don't care. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2015, 10:47:02 pm »
Yes we did, and though it was not a direct attack on SDAs, how I interpreted what he said is, that he was sending  a message to many Christian conservatives who claim the Seventh Day Adventists are not Christian, making it known to all what faith Carson is.   I like and support Carson and knew he was a strong Christian, yet this is the first I heard he was SDA.  That's how strong and affective  Trump's little comment was. And frankly I don't care if he is SDA.

So if you and the Trump supporters don't like us calling him out on this one, you can just go ahead and throw your little tantrums, we don't care.

Same here.. Also FWIW, at the TOS they are now attacking the Seventh Day Adventists for not being Christian.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline aligncare

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2015, 10:48:21 pm »

Can someone confirm for me whether Trump was speaking about Ben Carson when he made the Seventh-day Adventist comment? I didn't hear the connection.

In the video it sounded like Trump was saying he didn't know much about Seventh-day Adventists; not that he thought that they were weirdos or something.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »
Thanks navycando............didn't take long for this site to resemble FR.  Agree with the trumpsters or be gone.  Oh well,  I will oblige.
This is not an opus, it's just goodbye.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2015, 11:01:41 pm »
Thanks navycando............didn't take long for this site to resemble FR.  Agree with the trumpsters or be gone.  Oh well,  I will oblige.
This is not an opus, it's just goodbye.

Please don't!  One faction (small) cannot control the forum.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:02:47 pm by musiclady »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2015, 11:02:09 pm »
Can someone confirm for me whether Trump was speaking about Ben Carson when he made the Seventh-day Adventist comment? I didn't hear the connection.

In the video it sounded like Trump was saying he didn't know much about Seventh-day Adventists; not that he thought that they were weirdos or something.

Of course, AC.....it's par for the course around here lately.

If you can't beat him....make shit up!    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2015, 11:06:52 pm »

Anyone who doesn't understand what Trump was doing when he said, over and over, that "I'm Presbyterian," when nobody asked him what denomination he belonged to, and then brought up that Carson is SDA (which most people didn't know), hasn't listened to Trump.  He damns with faint praise.  "I don't know anything about them" is tantamount to saying "They're way outside the mainstream" because WE KNOW there's very little that Trump knows nothihg about, or that he's willing to admit.

So, aligncare, he didn't HAVE to say they were weirdos.  Anybody with a lick of sense knows that's exactly what he wants people to think.  He's trashed Bush in every way he can think of, but he never picks on his Catholicism.  He wouldn't dare.

But the SDA?  Hell, they're fair game.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2015, 11:09:38 pm »

The video at the story starts with Trump practically in mid-sentence, there definitely wasn't any context to what he was saying right before that - so it's hard to say.  I certainly did not hear any bashing of SDA - just that he didn't know about them & that could be taken different ways. 

Of course, it's OK with a lot of people here that Carson had previously expressed doubt about Trump's faith.  It only matters when Trump says something and headlines are twisted into innuendo.  It seems a lot of people are just happy to jump on it without checking it out first, because it fits their agenda.

I'm not knocking any denomination, I don't attend any church now - was raised a Southern Baptist and then switched to the Episcopal church later on.  But I know I have seen certain people here mock those evangelicals that believe the earth was created in six days in relative recent history.  From the SDA website, this is one of their beliefs.  I don't condemn it, but I've seen plenty others that do.  I could see this becoming an issue with Carson.

Just sayin'.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2015, 11:43:59 pm »
The video at the story starts with Trump practically in mid-sentence, there definitely wasn't any context to what he was saying right before that - so it's hard to say.  I certainly did not hear any bashing of SDA - just that he didn't know about them & that could be taken different ways. 

Of course, it's OK with a lot of people here that Carson had previously expressed doubt about Trump's faith.  It only matters when Trump says something and headlines are twisted into innuendo.  It seems a lot of people are just happy to jump on it without checking it out first, because it fits their agenda.

I'm not knocking any denomination, I don't attend any church now - was raised a Southern Baptist and then switched to the Episcopal church later on.  But I know I have seen certain people here mock those evangelicals that believe the earth was created in six days in relative recent history.  From the SDA website, this is one of their beliefs.  I don't condemn it, but I've seen plenty others that do.  I could see this becoming an issue with Carson.

Just sayin'.

Carson apologized almost immediately for what he said, and said he should never said it.

And I didn't see anyone here defending it.  I certainly didn't, and appreciated how quickly he apologized and said it was inappropriate.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2015, 12:03:57 am »
Carson apologized almost immediately for what he said, and said he should never said it.

And I didn't see anyone here defending it.  I certainly didn't, and appreciated how quickly he apologized and said it was inappropriate.

I didn't know Carson had said anything about Trump's faith. Honestly, it's hard to keep track of all the goings on surrounding this election - he said, she said, they said...Oy.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2015, 12:07:18 am »
Donald Trump has never apologized for anything.  Ever.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2015, 12:14:17 am »
Let's please try not to emulate TOS.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2015, 12:56:09 am »
Anyone who doesn't understand what Trump was doing when he said, over and over, that "I'm Presbyterian," when nobody asked him what denomination he belonged to, and then brought up that Carson is SDA (which most people didn't know), hasn't listened to Trump.  He damns with faint praise.  "I don't know anything about them" is tantamount to saying "They're way outside the mainstream" because WE KNOW there's very little that Trump knows nothihg about, or that he's willing to admit.

Spot on Sinkspur.

Trump can't name his favorite Bible verse because it is too personal, but another candidates faith is OK to question.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 12:59:25 am »
Let's please try not to emulate TOS.

Very well said, Mountaineer. Could not agree more.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.