Author Topic: Racist Fruit Basket Has High School Band Members in Hot Water  (Read 600 times)

rangerrebew

Racist Fruit Basket Has High School Band Members in Hot Water
« on: October 21, 2015, 05:26:39 pm »
High School Band Students Called “Racist” For This Incredibly STUPID Reason
Posted By: Miss CJon: October 20, 2015In: Racism
Print Email
High School Band Students Called

“Racist” is one of those terms that gets thrown around for no good reason. It’s almost lost its entire meaning and it’s pretty worthless as a commentary on someone’s character.

So when I hear that members of a high school marching band in Texas is being accused of racism, I know the reason for it is going to be pretty stupid. And, surprise surprise, I was not disappointed (sadly).

According to this,  students from Atascocita High School were suspended or kicked out of marching band because of a gift they gave to students from Summer Creek High School during a football game on Friday. The article says it’s a tradition for the two schools to exchange gifts during varsity games to show good sportsmanship. The Atascocita students gave the Summer Creek students a Halloween bucket filled with fruit and candy, including a watermelon, coconut, pineapple, and watermelon-flavored gum. Apparently, because the student population of Summer Creek is 40% black, people took that to mean that the Atascocita students were being racist. Because only black people eat watermelon and pineapple and coconut, don’t ya know? No white person in the history of the world has EVER enjoyed eating those fruits. Clearly.

The Atascocita students, being kids with common sense and simply thinking they were giving their rivals a gift in keeping with their sportsmanship tradition, didn’t think anything of what they’d given the Summer Creek students. Of course, this being 2015 and racial tensions are at an all-time high thanks to the Cult of Social Justice and the Perpetually Offended Brigade, somebody complained about the inherent microaggressions and acted like the Atascocita kids tried to lynch the Summer Creek kids and barely missed (I don’t think a Halloween bucket of candy and fruit would constitute the same level of outrage). So, the Atascocita marching band is out a handful of members for someone taking offense to something that any sane, rational human being that doesn’t have a social justice grievance chip on their shoulder wouldn’t have ever thought of.

Here’s what some of the Atascocita kids said about the controversy –

Carolina Andaverde, who plays the flute at Atascocita, said she and her classmates didn’t mean anything by it.

“We weren’t being racist towards them. If they took it that way, we’re sorry. We didn’t mean any harm,” Andaverde said. “Our parents raised us better.”

Another Atascocita student, Alyssa Taylor, said that as someone who is “mixed” race, she didn’t see what was wrong with the gift.

“I don’t take offense to that. How can someone else take offense?” Taylor said.

No kidding, Alyssa. How can someone else take offense?

Offline Millee

Re: Racist Fruit Basket Has High School Band Members in Hot Water
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 05:31:41 pm »
people took that to mean that the Atascocita students were being racist.

What "people" I wonder??   :chairbang:

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:33:55 pm »
people took that to mean that the Atascocita students were being racist.

What "people" I wonder??   :chairbang:

It sounds more like a parent or social worker than the kids.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:20:11 am »
How ridiculous we become. Now even a gift of fruit is racist.

"HOUSTON -- Seven members of a Texas high school marching band are being accused of racism. And two of the band members say the trouble started over a fruit basket.

By halftime Friday night, the Atascocita High School band was focused on their performance.
Nearly 140 members strong, roughly 30 of them seniors, these seven now in trouble.

"We didn't do anything wrong," Carolina Andaverde said.

Andaverde and her bandmate are heartbroken over what they face because of this gift.

As a tradition, students exchange gifts with competing schools at varsity football games to encourage good sportsmanship.

Last Friday, it was Summer Creek. Included in this basket was a small watermelon, coconut, pineapple and watermelon gum.

The district said it was racist.

"I'm mixed. I don't take offense to that,” said Alyssa Taylor, a band member facing discipline. “How can someone else take offense to that?"

They've been told they'll be disciplined, which might include no more band.

In a statement tonight, Humble ISD said, “School administrators conducted an investigation and, after considering the totality of the circumstances, determined that the gift was inappropriate and lacked good sportsmanship. Atascocita High School will not tolerate racial insensitivity.”

These girls say they never dreamed it would have been taken that way, but still, they offer this ...

"We apologize.  We never intended for us to make it seem like a racist joke to them," Carolina Andaverde said.

Summer Creek High School has not commented on the fruit basket controversy. A parent of one of the band members in trouble says his daughter was suspended from all band activities for the remainder of the school year."

http://www.abc22now.com/news/top-stories/stories/Racist-Fruit-Basket-Has-High-School-Band-Members-in-Hot-Water-221571.shtml

The article doesn't mention the racial makeup of the recipient high school but one can surmise it's black and the watermelon is the culprit. When I lived in Houston area Humble was mostly comprised of whites who moved there for the fine homes and large living spaces. Don't know about now, nor what area Humble ISD covers. I do know, however, these are weird times in this country.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 11:11:07 pm »
Would love to see the idiots behind this given a good trashing and a coat of tar and feathers to go with it  :chairbang:
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton