Author Topic: US Postal Service Announces $5-Billion Loss  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Paladin

US Postal Service Announces $5-Billion Loss
« on: November 18, 2015, 07:21:51 am »
5 billion $s. Not a bad piece of change.

"For most businesses, losing over $5 billion would be a shock. Share prices would plummet, and management would fear for their jobs. But over at the U.S. Postal Service, which on Friday morning announced a $5.1-billion loss for its just completed fiscal year, it’s nothing new.

Losing money has become a bit of a tradition at USPS, which now has strung together nine losing years in a row, surpassing even the Redskins for Washingtonian haplessness.

Of course, postal managers put the best face they could on the red ink, pointing out that most of the deficit was due to uncontrollable expenses, such as congressionally required pre-funding of retiree health benefits, which they have long maintained is unnecessary. They also point to the fact that revenue went up. But these assurances are hardly reassuring. The health care funding addresses real costs that otherwise could fall to taxpayers to cover. And the rising revenue was eaten up by rising expenses.

But the worst news for the Postal Service may not be the continuing losses. The problem goes to the postal business itself, which continued to shrink over the past year.

First class mail alone—once the mainstay of the business—dropped about 2.2 percent during fiscal 2015 to about 62 million pieces—a whopping 40 percent below the 2001 level. It has not been a good millennium for the USPS. And as the Internet economy grows, the postal business will continue to shrink.

(The only bright spot is package delivery, which actually benefits from the growth of e-commerce and grew over 11 percent last year.)

Something must be done to avoid a collapse of USPS that would almost certainly lead to a costly taxpayer bailout. USPS has long asked Congress for greater flexibility to downsize and rationalize its facilities (including post offices) and service levels. At the same time, postal monopoly laws should be eliminated, allowing innovative private-sector enterprises to challenge the Postal Service."

http://dailysignal.com/2015/11/16/u-s-postal-service-announces-5-billion-dollar-loss/

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: US Postal Service Announces $5-Billion Loss
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 04:03:23 am »
I find it an eye-opener that only 62 million pieces of first-class mail will be delivered in 2015. That works out to only one first-class envelope for every 5 people in the USA -- for the entire year.

Eventually, there are going to have to be service cutbacks, such as no deliveries on Saturdays, or perhaps even Mon/Wed/Fri delivery only.

Fearless prediction:
Like Amtrak (whose trains I ran on and off for 32 years), the Post Office by the nature of its business will never be able to "turn a profit". It's just too labor-intensive for the amount of revenue it can reasonably accrue from its services.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:32:04 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 05:47:24 pm »
I find it an eye-opener that only 62 million pieces of first-class mail will be delivered in 2015. That works out to only one first-class envelope for every 5 people in the USA -- for the entire year.

Eventually, there are going to have to be service cutbacks, such as no deliveries on Saturdays, or perhaps even Mon/Wed/Fri delivery only.

Fearless prediction:
Like Amtrak (whose trains I ran on and off for 32 years), the Post Office by the nature of its business will never be able to "turn a profit". It's just too labor-intensive for the amount of revenue it can reasonably accrue from its services.
We only get mail 3 times a week. When I first moved up here didn't like that idea. Now I have no problem with it.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 07:13:52 pm »
The USPS will fold sooner than later, and has been displaced by digital correspondence.

The government can easily outsource the bulk mail sorting to Mexico.  Bulk advertising mail comprises over 90% of all mail.  I guarantee you they will.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 07:15:04 pm by HAPPY2BME »