Author Topic: Time Magazine Contributor Suggests Tipping at Restaurant is Racially Discriminatory  (Read 628 times)

rangerrebew

Time Magazine Contributor Suggests Tipping at Restaurant is Racially Discriminatory
By Melissa Mullins | October 20, 2015 | 5:41 PM EDT

After restaurateur Danny Meyer decided to stop tipping at his restaurants last week, the question of whether or not tipping should be banned has been pushed to the forefront in the mainstream media. So, should restaurants ban tipping?  Apparently economics journalist Stephen J. Dubner thinks so, citing everything from economics to racism as to why tipping should be done away with all together.

Time magazine published his commentary under the headline, "Tipping Was Always a Bad Idea."

Dubner argued that people view tipping in three ways: a reward for particularly good service, a restaurant’s way of getting customers to pay the restaurants employees, or a virtually inescapable tax on dining. Dubner complained that restaurant tipping is something that makes employers, employees and customers awkwardly co-dependent, potentially discriminatory on several dimensions, and it’s a bad idea in general.

Recalling an interview with Cornell researcher Michael Lynn on Freakonomics Radio, Dubner wrote:

Blondes get better tips than brunettes. Slender women get better tips than heavier women. Large-breasted women get better tips than smaller-breasted women. Surprisingly, at least in the studies I’ve done, women in their thirties get better tips than either younger or older women.” Lynn also found, “women and men earn roughly the same in tips. But white servers earn substantially more than blacks (even with black customers).

Dubner believes this discrimination should be argument enough to stop tipping because, as he writes, “…as a society we profess to require equal pay for equal work. Isn’t it patently unfair for one employee to earn less than another because of the color of her skin (or even her hair)?”

Citing Meyer’s approach as an example of what can take the place of tipping, Dubner says the key to setting a fixed salary for a server and getting rid of all those pesky dining taxes would be to increase menu prices.

Dubner asked if it’s unfair for one employee to earn less than another because of their skin color, yet he mentioned no study or research about the tipping behaviors of customers, such as the difference between white and black customers’ tipping behavior.

In January of this year, The Washington Post ran an article that tried to answer the question, “Why do black patrons tip less, on average, than whites?” As it turns out, racism couldn’t be the sole reason as to why blacks tipped differently than whites:

This widespread negative perception of black peoples’ tipping practices cannot be attributed solely to racism because it is consistent with a substantial body of empirical evidence. A number of different studies using different methodologies and different geographic samples have found that, on average, black people do indeed tip less than whites in U.S. restaurants.

Some may feel that the economic status of that of a black patron versus that of a white patron may be to blame.  Not so.  According to The Washington Post:

…studies have consistently observed a reliable black-white tipping difference even after controlling for consumers’ socioeconomic status, including income and education, and after controlling for perceptions of service quality. This race difference in tipping is also observed regardless of whether the server is white or black.

If Dubner wants to use racism as a reason to end tipping, he may want to find another reason.
Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/melissa-mullins/2015/10/20/time-magazine-contributor-suggests-tipping-restaurant-racially

Offline andy58-in-nh

I would like to offer an observation, based on many years worth of experience:

People who complain the most loudly and persistently about the unfairness of every aspect of life tend to be miserable bastards who tend to make other people's lives insufferable. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

People who complain the most loudly and persistently about the unfairness of every aspect of life tend to be miserable bastards who tend to make other people's lives insufferable.

Excellent observation. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm going to make a wild guess that people who feel entitled and have excessive "self-esteem" tend to tip less than those who don't have those traits.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:31:09 pm by Sanguine »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

:beer:

Offline Millee

Shared misery for all!  :cheerlead:

rangerrebew

Does that mean people like Barack Obama, J$ss$ J$cks$n, Al Shartongue, Charlie Rangel, etc. don't tip servers?  Hmmmm :pondering:  I have to believe, though, people like Sheila Jackson Lee don't tip - they are just too nasty to give someone else a show of appreciation. :#@$%:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:44:30 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Too bad they didn't measure whether conservatives tip better than liberals because I'd be betting they do.  In fact, when I went to GWB's inauguration in 2000 I remember talking to a hotel maid who told me she was really glad GWB got elected because the tips were way better than they were for Clinton's inaugurations.  Sample size of one, but still....

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Another ramification of participation trophies, IMO.

As an aside, it's fascinating to witness the rapid change in our society.  The depths to which our fellow Americans have sunk.

1930's Germany and how they evolved into Hitler groupies...the birth of the Third Reich?

It's no longer a mystery/surprise to me.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Too bad they didn't measure whether conservatives tip better than liberals because I'd be betting they do.  In fact, when I went to GWB's inauguration in 2000 I remember talking to a hotel maid who told me she was really glad GWB got elected because the tips were way better than they were for Clinton's inaugurations.  Sample size of one, but still....

Someone at the NYT thinks so: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/opinion/21kristof.html?hp

Also a decent meta-analysis here: http://www.science20.com/adaptive_complexity/blog/whos_more_charitable_liberals_or_conservatives
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:31:15 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I've heard that too.   :beer: