Author Topic: Reid offers surprise support for Ryan as speaker  (Read 923 times)

rangerrebew

Reid offers surprise support for Ryan as speaker
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:03:08 pm »
Reid offers surprise support for Ryan as speaker

By Burgess Everett

10/20/15 03:09 PM EDT

Harry Reid just gave Paul Ryan an unwelcome endorsement for speaker.

The Democratic leader offered his surprise backing for Ryan (R-Wis.) to assume the House speakership, saying he hopes Ryan runs and wins the job because he's a "Paul Ryan fan."

"He appears to me to be one of the people over there that would be reasonable. I mean look at some of the other people," Reid said. "I don't agree with him on much of what he does. I think what he's done with Medicare and Medicaid, what he's wanted to do I disagree with. But generally speaking we've been able to work with him."

Indeed, Ryan's work with Reid lieutenant Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) on a two-year budget deal in 2013 remains a bipartisan highlight for a Congress otherwise beset by gridlock. But did Reid hurt Ryan by praising him?

The Nevada Democrat shrugged when asked if he was giving Ryan a kiss of death as the Wisconsin lawmaker weighs a speakers bid amid ever-growing criticism from the right for his policy positions.

"I just speak the truth," Reid said. "If it helps him fine, if it doesn't that's too bad."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/the-gavel/2015/10/harry-reid-endorse-paul-ryan-house-speaker-214970
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:04:06 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Longiron

Re: Reid offers surprise support for Ryan as speaker
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 01:22:19 am »
Just proves their is no difference between the RinoGOP and the Lib Party.  :nono:

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 01:39:49 am »
Just proves their is no difference between the RinoGOP and the Lib Party.  :nono:

Proves nothing of the sort.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 02:39:36 am »
Proves nothing of the sort.
'

How do you figure?  Harry Reid supporting the next Speaker of the House indicates that the DEMS are still in control of the GOPe/aka/RINO's/aka/OBREP
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 02:41:07 am »
I wouldn't be inclined to support ANYONE that Mr. Reid "supports" ...

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 02:41:15 am »
'

How do you figure?  Harry Reid supporting the next Speaker of the House indicates that the DEMS are still in control of the GOPe/aka/RINO's/aka/OBREP

No.  It demonstrates that Reid wants people to think that.  It could just as easily be something like "please don't throw me in the briar patch" - i.e., Reid wants conservatives & republicans to turn against Ryan by making them think that he likes Ryan, because Reid is really afraid of Ryan.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 02:48:07 am »
No.  It demonstrates that Reid wants people to think that.  It could just as easily be something like "please don't throw me in the briar patch" - i.e., Reid wants conservatives & republicans to turn against Ryan by making them think that he likes Ryan, because Reid is really afraid of Ryan.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion; but Ryan is a OBREP anyway you cut it.  Reid afraid of Ryan?  Really?  Why?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 02:49:35 am »

Reid is retiring.  He has zero influence at this point in terms of swaying anybody in the House with a brain.  He endorses Ryan because Ryan will work with Democrats.  Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is what remains to be seen in terms of Ryan's leadership.  I happen to like Paul Ryan, and think he may be a decent Speaker, depending what he says prior to any vote.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:50:23 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 02:51:16 am »
Reid is retiring.  He has zero influence at this point in terms of swaying anybody in the House with a brain.  He endorses Ryan because Ryan will work with Democrats.  Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is what remains to be seen in terms of Ryan's leadership.  I happen to like Paul Ryan, and think he may be a decent Speaker.

It is one thing to work with the DEMS but quite another to side with them and make deals and sell the GOP down the river.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 02:51:43 am »
What does OBREP stand for?
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 03:27:06 am »
What does OBREP stand for?

Obama Republican /aka/ GOPe /aka/ RINO, etc.   Apparently it's not "nice" or acceptable to some to use the word "RINO".

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 06:37:44 pm »
Reid is retiring.  He has zero influence at this point in terms of swaying anybody in the House with a brain.   

How is it, then, McConnell can't get anything passed?  If Reid has no influence, someone in the party must be pulling some mighty strong strings but no one is talking about.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 06:42:05 pm »
Reid is retiring.  He has zero influence at this point in terms of swaying anybody in the House with a brain.  He endorses Ryan because Ryan will work with Democrats.  Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is what remains to be seen in terms of Ryan's leadership.  I happen to like Paul Ryan, and think he may be a decent Speaker, depending what he says prior to any vote.

Or.....it could be as simple as being able to dust off the TV spot of Ryan rolling granny off the cliff in her wheelchair.      :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 06:42:19 pm »
Well, you are entitled to your opinion; but Ryan is a OBREP anyway you cut it.  Reid afraid of Ryan?  Really?  Why?

Does that mean that if Reid supports Her Heinous for president... that he's pulling the ol' bait 'n switcheroo and is really in the bag for Trump?   :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 08:38:47 pm »
With Dingy Harry, nothing would surprise me. Guy's got a mind like a Klein bottle.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 09:02:24 pm »
With Dingy Harry, nothing would surprise me. Guy's got a mind like a Klein bottle.

Had to look that one up - but you're right! 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 11:48:25 pm »
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20151021/us--house-republicans-c91e8f7745.html

Fractious House conservatives resist Ryan's call to unify

Oct 21, 4:58 PM (ET)

By ERICA WERNER

WASHINGTON (AP) — Fractious conservatives resisted Paul Ryan's appeals to rally around him for House speaker Wednesday, suggesting fresh trouble ahead in the Republican-on-Republican struggle between pragmatists and purists. The fight has rendered Congress almost dysfunctional and shaken the party's presidential campaign.

The conservatives' reactions cast doubt on whether Ryan, the GOP's 2012 vice presidential nominee, can get the buy-in from all factions of the House he says he needs to run for speaker.

The Wisconsin congressman, a reluctant candidate for the post, has been asked to run by mainstream party leaders seeking to resolve a crisis set in motion when compromise-averse conservatives pushed Speaker John Boehner to resign and then pressured his likely successor into withdrawing.

The same intraparty divide is roiling the Republicans' presidential campaign, with outsiders led by Donald Trump dominating the field for months.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 12:27:15 am »
Does that mean that if Reid supports Her Heinous for president... that he's pulling the ol' bait 'n switcheroo and is really in the bag for Trump?   :silly: 

Now that's funny, and I don't care who you are!   :laugh:

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 02:49:01 am »

And you're entitled to yours, no matter how wrong.