Author Topic: Advertisers admit it: ‘We messed up’ the Web  (Read 510 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Advertisers admit it: ‘We messed up’ the Web
« on: October 16, 2015, 03:21:39 pm »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/10/15/amid-the-adblockalypse-advertisers-apologize-for-messing-up-the-web/

As countless iPhone users have flocked to ad-blocking technology to try to escape from slow-loading, insecure online advertisements, a top trade group for advertisers is apologizing for having "messed up" the Web. The systems that allowed marketers to track and target advertisements "have slowed down the public internet and drained more than a few batteries," Scott Cunningham, senior vice president of technology at the Interactive Advertising Bureau, wrote in a blog post. "We were so clever and so good at it that we over-engineered the capabilities of the plumbing laid down by, well, ourselves."

As a result, companies such as Apple, Facebook and Google have developed their own coping mechanisms. Apple offers consumers news content in its Apple News app, bypassing the public Web. Facebook's Instant Articles, which allow publishers to partner with Facebook so their content loads more quickly, follows the same logic. And Google's Accelerated Mobile Pages project tries to strip Web sites of all but their most essential code, enhancing efficiency. Many of these efforts have frightened publishers and other content companies that rely on advertising for revenue. And now that anxiety appears to be infecting advertisers themselves.

In response, IAB says it's launching a LEAN ads program — for Light, Encrypted, Ad-choice supported and Non-invasive. Essentially, what IAB is promising are guidelines for friendlier, more secure advertisements. For beleaguered consumers who are looking for a respite from the barrage of low-quality ads online, this could be a promising first step.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Advertisers admit it: ‘We messed up’ the Web
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:39:19 pm »
They pooped in their nest.

:nono:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:23:25 pm »
The internet and its technological capabilities have created an ongoing tug-of-war between commercial interests and common folk interests.  As time goes on, the commercial interests seem to be winning as more and more people come to accept the barrage of advertising, and join Netflix and iTunes rather than downloading content illegally.  Every step backwards in favor of users, such as Facebook's abandoning its profiling system many years back, seems to be followed by two steps "forward" against users, such as everything Facebook has done since then.  Slowly but surely the frogs are being boiled. 

At least that is what this marketing professor sees.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:26:22 pm by massadvj »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 05:53:14 pm »
There are a few sites now that straight up won't let you see content if adblock is enabled. Liberal Logic is one, so I don't go there any more.

If I like a site, I whitelist it, because yes, they deserve the revenue. Want to force me? No way.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink