Author Topic: No cost-of-living increase for Social Security in 2016  (Read 794 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
No cost-of-living increase for Social Security in 2016
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:46:11 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/257006-no-cost-of-living-increase-for-social-security-in-2016

By Sarah Ferris - 10/15/15 10:39 AM EDT

For the first time since 2011, Social Security recipients won’t see an annual cost-of-living increase next year, the Obama administration announced on Thursday.

It’s the third time in 10 years the administration has rejected a cost-of-living increase, citing a downward trend in consumer prices that has kept inflation nearly flat.

The announcement makes official what had already been widely predicted.

It also makes nearly certain that millions of people enrolled in Medicare Part B will see an increase in their premiums next year.

While the Department of Health and Human Services hasn’t yet announced its premium change, the widely expected outcome is already generating outcry on Capitol Hill by top lawmakers like House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.

It would affect about 30 percent of Medicare Part B recipients — the rest are protected from paying a higher premium under the program’s “hold harmless” provision.

Cost-of-living increases are determined by a decades-old formula that has driven up average benefits by 4.1 percent since it was enacted in the 1970s.

A total of 56 million people receive Social Security benefits.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: No cost-of-living increase for Social Security in 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 07:47:49 pm »
citing a downward trend in consumer prices that has kept inflation nearly flat.

When was the last time this assh@le went to the grocery store....I am betting the military doesn't get one either..they usually go hand and hand..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 07:54:43 pm »
When was the last time this assh@le went to the grocery store....I am betting the military doesn't get one either..they usually go hand and hand..
**nononono* 

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 08:24:46 pm »

You can bet feral employees will get their raise tho...

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 08:27:28 pm »
To be expected. Have a lot of isis refugees to look after

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:45:15 pm »
I heard on the radio this morning that this is due to the low price of gasoline.  How convenient.  They sure as hell didn't figure in the high cost of food!  It goes up every time I go to the grocery store!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 09:40:08 pm »
I heard on the radio this morning that this is due to the low price of gasoline.  How convenient.  They sure as hell didn't figure in the high cost of food!  It goes up every time I go to the grocery store!

Does that mean the government is assuring those of us on SS the price of gas won't go up in the next year?  I sincerely doubt it. :bullie smokin:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:58 pm »
Does that mean the government is assuring those of us on SS the price of gas won't go up in the next year?  I sincerely doubt it. :bullie smokin:

OPEC's made it pretty clear that they're going to keep oil prices low as they continue to squeeze shale producers. They don't want any competition.

The idiot Obama administration won't allow oil exports from the US so he wants to squeeze oil producers as well.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 11:15:38 am »
It also makes nearly certain that millions of people enrolled in Medicare Part B will see an increase in their premiums next year.

While the Department of Health and Human Services hasn’t yet announced its premium change, the widely expected outcome is already generating outcry on Capitol Hill by top lawmakers like House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.

It would affect about 30 percent of Medicare Part B recipients — the rest are protected from paying a higher premium under the program’s “hold harmless” provision.
Just like everything else: no relation to reality. If costs have risen, then premiums should rise - but for everyone, or at least for those who use the services the most.

Just more of the "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" mentality in D.C.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 07:13:10 pm »
Just like everything else: no relation to reality. If costs have risen, then premiums should rise - but for everyone, or at least for those who use the services the most.

Just more of the "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" mentality in D.C.

Until the government runs out of money in the "from" part of it. :thud:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:14:41 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 07:21:52 pm »
"It’s the third time in 10 years the administration has rejected a cost-of-living increase, citing a downward trend in consumer prices that has kept inflation nearly flat."

This thread needs to be merged with the thread about Lenin's quotes - A lie told often enough becomes the truth.

Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 07:23:46 pm »
When was the last time this assh@le went to the grocery store....

The establishment oligarchy has minions for that.  Likely undocumented - you know, they work harder for less.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan