Author Topic: More Americans support Bernie Sanders than Donald Trump  (Read 4628 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
More Americans support Bernie Sanders than Donald Trump
« on: October 13, 2015, 04:22:15 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/10/13/more-americans-support-bernie-sanders-than-donald-trump/

By Philip Bump October 13 at 11:48 AM

For all of the attention paid to the Republican primary -- thanks in large part to the classy marquee name of Donald Trump -- it's worth pointing something out: More Americans currently support Hillary Clinton than Trump, which you probably already knew. But it's safe to assume that more Americans also support Bernie Sanders.

snip

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

Re: More Americans support Bernie Sanders than Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:31:06 pm »
This article is worth a read because it puts the daily discussions in perspective. Greater numbers of voters are showing preferences for BOTH Hillary and Sanders in primary polls, than do for the dominant Trump.

Almost every day on "conservative" forums, discussion continues as if there is nobody else that matters. Overlooked is the FACT we are in a distinct minority to start, and only by making an extremely good case, do we stand much chance of winning.

While Trump is not my preference, I concede that he MIGHT hold that something special necessary to attract new voters, independent and democrat voters.

From the chart in this article, it shows that Hillary is in 1st place, Sanders in 2nd place, and Biden in 5th place. Three of the top five places.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 04:32:55 pm »
Can anybody imagine Hollywood...or all of the professional athletes ever supporting Bernie Sanders?

How about Beyonce? 

LeBron James may earn $300 million.   Uh...LeBron...baby, we'll take a check for $270 million.  Keep $30 Million and have a nice day.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 05:26:48 pm »
Meet the genius who typed this "story":  The full-blown leftist, Philip Bump

Philip Bump joins The Fix
By WashPostPR April 21, 2014

Announcement from National Editor Cameron Barr, Deputy Editor Anne Kornblut and Politics Editor Steven Ginsberg:

We’re excited to announce that Philip Bump ​will be joining The Fix team. Bump currently writes about politics at The Wire, the news blog of The Atlantic magazine. For The Fix, he will roam across the political landscape telling stories in whatever way makes sense, whether through text, charts and any other means he dreams up.

Bump has written about politics and the environment at Grist and has contributed to The Daily Beast, The Atlantic, The Daily and Huffington Post. In 2010, he was a finalist for an S.I. Newhouse School of Journalism Mirror Award for writing about the media.

Bump also brings unique talents and insights to the job. He has served as a senior designer at Adobe Systems and spent several years running political campaigns in Silicon Valley. He also participated in Americorps, running an afterschool program for middle school students.

Philip will remain in New York and his first day will be May 12. Please join us in welcoming him.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:27:19 pm by famousdayandyear »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 05:28:27 pm »
Good grab, famous!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 05:31:09 pm »
Thank you, famous!  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 05:35:18 pm »
Thanks guys.  Nothing really.  Just a little critical thinking.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 05:42:30 pm »
Thanks guys.  Nothing really.  Just a little critical thinking.

Never think to check out the author.  To me, it's just one of a few dozen opinions on the topic.  If it feeds my preconceived bias, I'm in. If not, I'll fight to get through it. 

But for you to show us the admitted purpose of his position.....?  Priceless!    :beer:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:42:52 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 05:51:51 pm »
For the umpteenth year straight more Americans self identify as conservative than as liberal.

I doubt regular people really like the grumpy old communist, and the unlikable liar who sold the state department for donations to her phony charity, more than they like Trump; who, by the way was watched by TV viewers every week on prime time television on The Apprentice, making the reality series the winner of nearly every television industry award for 10 years.

Right, we believe you. Now, pull the other one.

Boy, this post was in desperate need of editing.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:14:12 pm by aligncare »

Offline Longiron

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 02:46:27 pm »
More Americans self identify as conservative than as liberal, for the umpteenth year straight.

Yeah, I'm sure Americans really and truly like the grumpy old communist, and the unlikable liar who sold the state department for donations to her phony charity, more than they like a patriot like Trump; who, by he way, they, the viewers, watched every week on prime time television on The Apprentice and helped make the reality series the winner of nearly every television industry award for 10 years.

I am sure Bernie closed the voters last night when asked" What is the single most security threat to the US"? His answer was "Climate Change". Thank God for TRUMP, CRUZ and CARSON? :silly:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 03:02:50 pm »
Let's face it.  The Democrats are going to vote for whoever ends up being their nominee.  Being that there are more Democrats than Republicans is a bit of a problem.  Every Republican needs to vote for their nominee, whoever that will be - AND - that nominee had better be someone that has crossover value.  Someone that can pull some voters that traditionally wouldn't vote GOP - like Reagan did.  I don't know of any of the establishment candidates that can do that, it's going to have to be one of the "outsiders".

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 03:18:16 pm »
Let's face it.  The Democrats are going to vote for whoever ends up being their nominee.  Being that there are more Democrats than Republicans is a bit of a problem.  Every Republican needs to vote for their nominee, whoever that will be - AND - that nominee had better be someone that has crossover value.  Someone that can pull some voters that traditionally wouldn't vote GOP - like Reagan did.  I don't know of any of the establishment candidates that can do that, it's going to have to be one of the "outsiders".

If the reports are true that Trump is pulling 25% support from blacks, that helps a little with cross over vote. But, if in addition he's losing the illegal immigrant vote, it could be a wash.  :whistle:

Offline Longiron

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 05:15:55 pm »
If the reports are true that Trump is pulling 25% support from blacks, that helps a little with cross over vote. But, if in addition he's losing the illegal immigrant vote, it could be a wash.  :whistle:

This morning has TRUMP way adhead of BUSHIE and RUBIO in FL. Considering RUBIO is Hispanic that is very positive for TRUMP. If TRUMP can get 20 % of the Black American vote and continues his lead with the LEGAL immigrant HISPANIC then race is OVER for President TRUMP  :patriot: It is early and much can happen?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 05:38:55 pm »
For the umpteenth year straight more Americans self identify as conservative than as liberal.

And since the democrats have won the national popular vote for 5 of the last 6 elections, either those "conservatives" are voting for democrats, or the "conservatives" are not voting.

We know the first is partly the case, because we have people HERE who say it is true.

Consequently the term "conservative" is essentially worthless, devalued, misleading.

ACU ratings are Pelosi just 4, McCarthy 76, Duncan Hunter is 88, Rohrabacher is 96, and McClintock is 100 (and he endorsed McCarthy and he resigned from the Freedom Caucus). I selected examples in my state, including my own congressman.

Somebody who tells you McCarthy is the same as Pelosi, and tells you he will vote for Hillary is NOT somebody to be listened to, when they call themselves conservative.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 06:13:37 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/10/13/more-americans-support-bernie-sanders-than-donald-trump/

For all of the attention paid to the Republican primary -- thanks in large part to the classy marquee name of Donald Trump -- it's worth pointing something out: More Americans currently support Hillary Clinton than Trump, which you probably already knew. But it's safe to assume that more Americans also support Bernie Sanders.

Well they had to torture the numbers to the point of death to reach the conclusion they wanted. Too bad for them that tortured logic is nonsense for the simple reason the Reps have more candidates to choose from then the Dems.

How about some real measurements of enthusiasm in voters? About 15 million more people watched the GOP debates then watched the Democrats last night.

snip

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 06:16:19 pm »
As everyone knows I am not a Trump supporter. I don't even like the guy.   But this poll unless taken from NPR or MSNBC listeners, is total BS.     FOX News poll show the GOP top 5 candidates beating or matching Bernie and Hillary.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 06:52:07 pm »
And since the democrats have won the national popular vote for 5 of the last 6 elections, either those "conservatives" are voting for democrats, or the "conservatives" are not voting.

We know the first is partly the case, because we have people HERE who say it is true.

Consequently the term "conservative" is essentially worthless, devalued, misleading.

ACU ratings are Pelosi just 4, McCarthy 76, Duncan Hunter is 88, Rohrabacher is 96, and McClintock is 100 (and he endorsed McCarthy and he resigned from the Freedom Caucus). I selected examples in my state, including my own congressman.

Somebody who tells you McCarthy is the same as Pelosi, and tells you he will vote for Hillary is NOT somebody to be listened to, when they call themselves conservative.

I guess we can "ping-pong" the RINO argument (sigh once again) back and forth in here all day long.  The point and the truth of the matter is; when we have "Republicans" and "Republican" leadership who vote to the left or who refuse cloture; then really what is the difference between them and the DEMS???  Why have two parties?  If Boehner has already cut deals with the DEMS and McConnell has out and out lied to other Republicans in order to side with the DEMS or sway a vote to DEM, then what good are they doing the Republican Party?  None that I can see.  So...we should continue to vote for those people who sell are party down the road? That is absolutely to me absolutely ludicrous and why the name "RINO" is used.  Certainly no disrespect is intended (good grief) and secondly, the Republican party, Republican voting base and the country would be better served by those Republicans who truly have the best interest of their constituents and their party in mind. Corruption is rampant and the days of the Washington Cartel needs to end.  With that being said, I cannot fault anyone for not voting for someone who they know will continue us in the same direction. Some see Trump as a liberal -- so be it -- yes he's a risk and taking a chance, but he's not a career politician and so chance are much better with him as I know Bush will be an absolute disaster.  Firoina and Carson votes is taking a huge chance --- Rubio has issues.  I'd vote for the others in a heartbeat.  Quite frankly, IMHO, this country isn't going to make it another 4 years if we continue on the same path.

I have never not voted in a general election and have rarely missed a local election. I will always vote my conscious and will vote for who I think is the best candidate for the job...even IF that means having to write in a candidate then so be it. I will NOT vote for Hillary, Colonel Sanders, Chafe and whoever else may enter the DEM field, nor will I vote for Bush.  If you consider that I am not a conservative than...hallelujah...good for you!

Ted Cruz 2016.  Reigniting the Promise of America!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 02:31:59 am »
DCPatriot asks above:
[[ Can anybody imagine Hollywood...or all of the professional athletes ever supporting Bernie Sanders? ]]

Sure.
I can.

Look at whom most of them "support" now...

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 03:27:27 am »
I guess we can "ping-pong" the RINO argument (sigh once again) back and forth in here all day long.  The point and the truth of the matter is; when we have "Republicans" and "Republican" leadership who vote to the left or who refuse cloture; then really what is the difference between them and the DEMS???  Why have two parties?  If Boehner has already cut deals with the DEMS and McConnell has out and out lied to other Republicans in order to side with the DEMS or sway a vote to DEM, then what good are they doing the Republican Party?  None that I can see.  So...we should continue to vote for those people who sell are party down the road? That is absolutely to me absolutely ludicrous and why the name "RINO" is used.  Certainly no disrespect is intended (good grief) and secondly, the Republican party, Republican voting base and the country would be better served by those Republicans who truly have the best interest of their constituents and their party in mind. Corruption is rampant and the days of the Washington Cartel needs to end.  With that being said, I cannot fault anyone for not voting for someone who they know will continue us in the same direction. Some see Trump as a liberal -- so be it -- yes he's a risk and taking a chance, but he's not a career politician and so chance are much better with him as I know Bush will be an absolute disaster.  Firoina and Carson votes is taking a huge chance --- Rubio has issues.  I'd vote for the others in a heartbeat.  Quite frankly, IMHO, this country isn't going to make it another 4 years if we continue on the same path.

I have never not voted in a general election and have rarely missed a local election. I will always vote my conscious and will vote for who I think is the best candidate for the job...even IF that means having to write in a candidate then so be it. I will NOT vote for Hillary, Colonel Sanders, Chafe and whoever else may enter the DEM field, nor will I vote for Bush.  If you consider that I am not a conservative than...hallelujah...good for you!

Ted Cruz 2016.  Reigniting the Promise of America!

The numbers above, 4 vs. 76, 88, 98 and 100 are widely different. When anybody tells me they are essentially the same, it is further proof of my thesis; namely SOME contemporary conservatives are both logic and math challenged.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 11:53:30 am »

Re: More Americans LOSERS support Bernie Sanders than Donald Trump

There. Fixed it. And don't you'all feel better now!

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 11:59:38 am »
Re: More Americans LOSERS support Bernie Sanders than Donald Trump

There. Fixed it. And don't you'all feel better now!

:beer:  Absolutely and thank you! 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 12:12:00 pm »
Excuse me?  Fox News Poll October 12, 2015.  Trump versus Clinton.  Trump wins 45-40.  Let's not get caught up in media spin here, people.  Of course more people CURRENTLY support Sanders.  It's a de facto two-person race in the other party. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2015/10/13/fox-news-poll-biden-more-electable-than-clinton/

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 12:13:52 pm »
:beer:  Absolutely and thank you!

And you! TBRs own lady liberty, for your tireless work defending Liberty in perilous times  :patriot:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 12:28:46 pm »
Excuse me?  Fox News Poll October 12, 2015.  Trump versus Clinton.  Trump wins 45-40.  Let's not get caught up in media spin here, people.  Of course more people CURRENTLY support Sanders.  It's a de facto two-person race in the other party. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2015/10/13/fox-news-poll-biden-more-electable-than-clinton/

If statistics are damnable lies, what does that make headlines.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 01:11:17 pm »

I doubt regular people really like the grumpy old communist, and the unlikable liar who sold the state department for donations to her phony charity, more than they like Trump; who, by the way was watched by TV viewers every week on prime time television on The Apprentice, making the reality series the winner of nearly every television industry award for 10 years.

Boy, this post was in desperate need of editing.

What the GOP is missing is the third group, Millennials who don't identify with either. They are about to be one of the largest voting blocks in the country.
Millennials have never known a world without Google, without Twitter, without Facebook or some other social media.  They came of age during the era of the status update and selfie. More important to politics, they grew up expecting more for free. File sharing, streaming, now living off college debt that people are promising they should not have to pay back. Millennials who will vote for the first time in the next election never had a job where signing up for the ACA wasn't an option. Their entire life has been dominated by the  words 'free', 'open', 'fair', and 'neutral', all provided of course, by the government.  In the media, via PSAs, their world is divided into two groups, bullies and victims, and they sure don't want to be a bully so by default, they must be a victim of something.

Of course this massive voting block is going to gravitate to Santa Claus promising free everything versus the guy whose catch phrase is 'You're Fired'.

The GOP has been failing at really reaching out to this group. They are ripe for the picking too as they don't trust the democrats either.  It doesn't mean we need to pander, but we sure can frame a message better for them.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2014/mar/17/rock-vote/half-millennials-dont-associate-democrat-or-republ/