Author Topic: 9 cities abolish Columbus Day in favor Indigenous Peoples’ Day  (Read 1558 times)

Offline flowers

https://www.rt.com/usa/318178-cities-abolish-columbus-day/

Nine cities in states across the US have pressed for resolutions to recognize October 12 as Indigenous Peoples’ Day rather than Columbus Day. Eight of those cities passed resolutions in the last two months and three adopted a resolution just this week.

The City Council of Albuquerque, New Mexico voted six to three on Thursday to recognize October 12 as Indigenous Peoples’ Day in a new proclamation:

“Albuquerque recognizes the occupation of New Mexico’s homelands for the building of our City and knows indigenous nations have lived upon this land since time immemorial and values the process of our society accomplished through and by American Indian thought, culture, technology.”

The proclamation noted 500 years of Indian resistance since the arrival of Christopher Columbus and marked the day “in an effort to reveal a more accurate historical record of the ‘discovery’ of the United States of America,” and to “recognize the contributions of Indigenous peoples despite enormous efforts against native nations.”

Victory—Albuquerque Declares Indigenous People’s Day http://t.co/VzcUO0lGg2 via @popresistancepic.twitter.com/HurM9eR6Ee
    — Civil Rights News (@StruggleNewsBot) October 9, 2015

On October 7, the City Council of Lawrence, Kansas supported efforts from students from Haskell University to have the city honor their ancestors by declaring October 12 Indigenous Peoples’ Day.

Mayor proclaims Oct.12 Indigenous People's day in Lawrence,KS!
    — Rhonda LeValdo (@rhondalevaldo) October 6, 2015

On Tuesday, Portland’s City Council also declared Indigenous Peoples’ Day, something tribal leaders have been seeking since 1954, as did the City Council of Bexas County, Texas, according to US Uncut. Local San Antonio activists are pressing for the same.

Monday is 'Indigenous Peoples Day' in Portland http://t.co/g1H2Gs1iqA
    — Jacqueline Keeler (@jfkeeler) October 10, 2015

In August, lawmakers in St. Paul, Minnesota declared that October 12 was to be Indigenous Peoples’ Day rather than Columbus Day. The city of Minneapolis passed their resolution a year ago.

Indigenous Peoples Day sweeps St. Paul city council vote http://t.co/ERMJ1UzT68pic.twitter.com/myq02GAHuF
    — Minneapolis MN (@MinneapolisRR) September 10, 2015

Minneapolis City Councilwoman Alondra Cano, who represents the diverse 9th Ward, told RT that tribal councils and indigenous peoples have been raising awareness about the myths of Christopher Columbus and his legacy since the civil rights movement. Through that work, they were able to connect to young people who, during a mayoral forum in 2013, asked candidates if they would support Indigenous Peoples’ Day instead of Columbus Day. Current Mayor Betsy Hodges pledged she would.

“It is important to recognize there is a strategy on the ground. There is organizing tha

I knew they where going to go after Columbus Day, just didn't think it would be in my lifetime. I guess they will go after Thanksgiving Day next :shrug:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: 9 cities abolish Columbus Day in favor Indigenous Peoples’ Day
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 05:39:40 pm »
Disrespect of native Americans is not a conservative value, in any rational sense.

In many places across the planet, various ethnic and indigenous groups have asked for and received recognition.

An example is the Laplanders (Sámi) of Sweden, Norway, Finland and Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people

Another example are the First Nations people of Canada, where they got better treatment than in America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Nations

Native Americans have served bravely for our country, but only ask that their history and traditions get recognition and respect.

That I can do. I want to learn about their versions of history. I have a pretty strong belief that the "white mans' " version is not the only legitimate one.

As a nation we are changing. The exhibits for the "Battle of Little Big Horn" in Montana have been modified to include the Indians' stories and versions about it.

Father Junipero Serra just became a Saint, but he might not be regarded so highly, by Natives that tell how the local people were effectively made into slaves for the Spanish missions.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 05:45:06 pm »
Disrespect of native Americans is not a conservative value, in any rational sense.

In many places across the planet, various ethnic and indigenous groups have asked for and received recognition.

Another example are the First Nations people of Canada, where they got better treatment than in America.

Native Americans have served bravely for our country, but only ask that their history and traditions get recognition and respect.

That I can do. I want to learn about their versions of history. I have a pretty strong belief that the "white mans' " version is not the only legitimate one.

As a nation we are changing. The exhibits for the "Battle of Little Big Horn" in Montana have been modified to include the Indians' stories and versions about it.

Father Junipero Serra just became a Saint, but he might not be regarded so highly, by Natives that tell how the local people were effectively made into slaves for the Spanish missions.

What does respecting America's native people have to do with objecting to the silliness of taking away Columbus day.

I have a great deal of respect for the Indians, and some rage at the (past) Americans who destroyed their lives and culture, and I have been to Little Big Horn and respect the changes made to the previously pro-Custer (who was a creep) battlefield.

And I still think this meaningless gesture and demonization of Columbus is revisionist history and stupid.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 07:16:52 pm »
What does respecting America's native people have to do with objecting to the silliness of taking away Columbus day.

I have a great deal of respect for the Indians, and some rage at the (past) Americans who destroyed their lives and culture, and I have been to Little Big Horn and respect the changes made to the previously pro-Custer (who was a creep) battlefield.

And I still think this meaningless gesture and demonization of Columbus is revisionist history and stupid.
What you call "revisionist" the Native Americans call the truth. For now I can empathize with their rage against what they consider false history.

I say tell both versions, and likely a more accurate version will emerge that is closer to the truth.

That is what they did at Little Big Horn. I say do it everywhere.

In my own local area, there is the history of workers in the citrus orchards (called ranches). First they came (were brought) for seasonal work. Then they stayed year round, in housing built by the ranch owners for them, rented or sold to them.

I personally know some of their descendants, because I grew up with them, lived on opposite sides of town. One woman from my childhood church is considered an expert historian regarding those people, their lives and neighborhoods.

But the people themselves, some still living, tell different versions. I want to hear their side.

Those people, sons and daughters and grandchildren of WWII soldiers, are gaining their voices, after decades of underclass status.

And politically, when the political right tolerates nativism in their ranks, brands these people as "wetbacks" and worse like Trump does, they will surely never be friends of the GOP, even though they hold conservative values.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline raml

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 08:11:43 pm »
Personally I think it is bullshit to take away from our fore father to give respect to Indians. Whey can't they have their own day and leave our history and respect for a fore father the hell alone

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 08:21:32 pm »
Personally I think it is bullshit to take away from our fore father to give respect to Indians. Whey can't they have their own day and leave our history and respect for a fore father the hell alone
you would think that would be nice. no that is the plan.....take away all from the fore fathers, destroy our history.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:45:46 pm »
What you call "revisionist" the Native Americans call the truth. For now I can empathize with their rage against what they consider false history.

I say tell both versions, and likely a more accurate version will emerge that is closer to the truth.

That is what they did at Little Big Horn. I say do it everywhere.

In my own local area, there is the history of workers in the citrus orchards (called ranches). First they came (were brought) for seasonal work. Then they stayed year round, in housing built by the ranch owners for them, rented or sold to them.

I personally know some of their descendants, because I grew up with them, lived on opposite sides of town. One woman from my childhood church is considered an expert historian regarding those people, their lives and neighborhoods.

But the people themselves, some still living, tell different versions. I want to hear their side.

Those people, sons and daughters and grandchildren of WWII soldiers, are gaining their voices, after decades of underclass status.

And politically, when the political right tolerates nativism in their ranks, brands these people as "wetbacks" and worse like Trump does, they will surely never be friends of the GOP, even though they hold conservative values.

I agree that we need to be more cognizant of the other side of the story.  I believe I am, and have read a lot in order to be so.

That doesn't mean that this attempt to denigrate Columbus and what he accomplished is right.

There are certainly racists among us (for heaven's sake, I spent 10 years on FR and saw their garbage every day), but it is not the overall conservative position to be a 'nativist.'

Maybe instead of attacking your own fellow conservatives, you should correct those who will 'never be friends of the GOP' with the truth about us.....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Paladin

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 09:03:58 pm »

That seems to be precisely the idea. Depict the white European impact on history as irredeemably racist and destructive. Inculcate guilt. Impugn all they did and all that resulted from it.

Meanwhile the Native Americans (a stupid, stupid appellation) must be shown as innocent of any shortcomings, their purity destroyed by the white man.

Give them their own day, but be honest about it; and don't deny or distort history in order to do it.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 11:43:45 pm »
Recognizing Columbus does not constitute disrespect for native Americans, in any rational sense.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 12:48:30 am »
Recognizing Columbus does not constitute disrespect for native Americans, in any rational sense.

Absolutely true.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 12:55:06 am »
Tough luck for the Indians (I will NEVER refer to them as "native Americans", because at some point in the far past, they migrated into North America, as well).

Columbus was who he was, and if we intend to remain a European/Christian/traditionally-based culture, Columbus should receive his due.

What this story indicates to me is yet one more brick falling out as the edifice of Western Culture grows weaker and weaker and soon will come a-tumblin' down.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 01:00:55 am »

I have to disagree with you here.

Fine, have an Indigenous people day.  But don't suppress Columbus and his discovery  with it.  Does it always have to be an "either/or" thing with these minorities?  Why can't it be a "both and" sort of thing, honoring both.

PC is killing us and this is just another example.  And, Fr. Serra did more to minister to those natives than their own chiefs.  But that's not the story line the left, and the media, tells.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.