Author Topic: ‘RPG magnet’: US gives Kurdish allies vehicles with no side armor  (Read 531 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Dozens of MRAPs provided by the U.S. government to its Kurdish allies in Iraq have arrived without protective side armor, Fox News has learned, with one security contractor who works with the Kurds saying the missing armor makes riding in them tantamount to "committing suicide."

The U.S. government promised 250 Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles (MRAPs) for Iraqi allies to help in the fight against the Islamic State.

But Phil Hudicourt, former Army Special Forces member who has spent more than a decade in Iraq, told Fox News the vehicles are "dangerous" without the armor plates.

"The military calls it an 'RPG magnet'," he said. "I don't know what level it was made, if it was made at a low level, high level, but it's a pretty stupid decision. Because riding in those MRAPs with all the amount of RPG 29s in the country is committing suicide."

Fox News reviewed photos of about 30 MRAPs that arrived in Erbil, northern Iraq, last month. The photos appear to show empty side racks when compared with fully equipped models.

The large armor plates in question were added to MRAPs during the second Iraq war, when U.S. commanders on the ground realized that -- while the vehicles could protect against IEDs and land mines because of their reinforced base -- they were vulnerable to rocket-propelled grenade attacks from the side.

Video at link: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/30/rpg-magnet-us-gives-iraqi-allies-vehicles-with-no-side-armor/

Still better than what they got now. But yeah, thanks Obama. I'm sure the armor is more urgently needed on the MRAPS you give to local police forces.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

Re: ‘RPG magnet’: US gives Kurdish allies vehicles with no side armor
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 07:00:40 pm »
It's hard to pick in which aspect of the president's responsibilities Obama is most derelict.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:19:31 pm by aligncare »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 07:12:33 pm »
Well that's just not fair. We should equip them at least as well as we did ISIS.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:13:12 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 07:21:39 pm »
Justifying this by saying that the equipment is 'surplus'.
There is no end to the evil perpetrated by this O cabal.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:29:23 pm »
I am becoming so disgusted by Obama's constant failures, I wonder if this wasn't on purpose. No one could be this incompetent.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 06:55:39 pm »
O's deliberate failures cost lives.  He doesn't care a bit.  How tragic.  Hope all those folks are happy with their free phones.

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 07:08:53 pm »
I am becoming so disgusted by Obama's constant failures, I wonder if this wasn't on purpose. No one could be this incompetent.
Of course on purpose. Name one time the Christian obama has ever helped a Christian?