Author Topic: McCain warns GOP against personal attacks  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
McCain warns GOP against personal attacks
« on: October 05, 2015, 03:22:50 am »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/john-mccain-2016-republicans-reagan-214410

Arizona Sen. John McCain warned Republican presidential candidates on Sunday the GOP will “pay a price" at the polls if they continue personal attacks on “character and integrity.” “I think we are hurting ourselves and our chances in general election if we disparage each other and impugn character,” McCain said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “I wish we would think about Ronald Reagan, and the way he conducted his campaigns.”
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:23:08 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: McCain warns GOP against personal attacks
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 03:31:59 am »
That's rich coming from the guy that called Rand Paul and Ted Cruz "wacko birds".

**nononono*

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 03:38:42 am »
Attacking each other, yes; attacking those "paragons" of character and integrity in the DNC?  no.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 03:44:10 am »
"I think Barack Obama would make a fine President"......John McCain.

Senile, crazy bastard.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:51:43 am »
And there's his "hobbit" name-calling on Senate floor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kINn80kpTEE

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 02:13:56 pm »
That's rich coming from the guy that called Rand Paul and Ted Cruz "wacko birds".

**nononono*

McInsane, lord of the hypocrites.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 08:07:14 pm »

Senile, crazy bastard.

Yup.   :thumbsup2:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 08:09:03 pm »

**nononono*

THIS.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 08:13:39 pm »

Senile, crazy bastard.

Phony and senile crazy bastard!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 04:48:59 am »
Yeah!  McCain's a (insert personal attack).

I'm not that fond of McCain either but it is interesting to see no one dispute the substance of his argument.
Will Rogers said 'Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you can find a rock.'  Few conservatives understand that idea or care.  I think that is why they fail to capture a national audience.  People get turned off by their sanctimony.

Maybe this election is different with the rise of Trump, but I doubt it. 

Offline Paladin

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 04:57:17 am »
"I'm not that fond of McCain either but it is interesting to see no one dispute the substance of his argument."

What "substance" do you think can be disputed? Dandy sentiments but as pointed out by several McCain has failed to abide by his own proclaimed standard. Is that your "substance"?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 05:12:09 am »
"I'm not that fond of McCain either but it is interesting to see no one dispute the substance of his argument."

What "substance" do you think can be disputed? Dandy sentiments but as pointed out by several McCain has failed to abide by his own proclaimed standard. Is that your "substance"?
We are all human and prone to fits of anger at times.  Yet, there is a Yuge difference between the demeanor of Trump and McCain.  It is true that McCain has made some inflammatory statements, but for the most part he acts a calm statesman.  Others have pointed out the hypocrisy in McCain's comments.  Would anybody like to entertain the substance of his call for a less insulting, but more Reaganesque campaign?   

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 05:19:50 am »

People get turned off by their sanctimony.

Adultery this, abortion that, homo this, teen pregnancy that . Then along come Gingrich, Livingstone, Craig and of course Josh Duggar, Palin's daughter.

And on the dais running for President from the GOP are Pastor Huckabee, Father Santorum, etc.

The GOP writes the skits for Saturday Night Live, with their own characters and plots.

A really, really great skit would show Republicans turning on their own. Turning on GW Bush, McCain, Romney, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan, Newt Gingrich, to name just a few.

Always spouting off about high principle; then in a heartbeat rushing to crowd at the feet of former democrat, pragmatic Donald Trump; who specializes in alienating minority voters.

But I fully expect them to turn on Trump when they learn he doesn't hate homosexuals to their desired degree.

My take as of today. I will vote for the GOP nominee.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 06:34:14 am »
Adultery this, abortion that, homo this, teen pregnancy that . Then along come Gingrich, Livingstone, Craig and of course Josh Duggar, Palin's daughter.
“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro" - Cliven Bundy.

I hear what you're saying ts.  In many ways, I think I might feel more at home in the Libertarian party...the only problem is the other Libertarians.

You take the good with the bad.  Huckabee and Santorum don't bother me as much as they do you, however I prefer the great Republicans you list better (GW Bush, McCain, Romney, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan, Newt Gingrich)

I'm pro-life and pro-family values, but I'm not going to stand in judgement of the pregnant teen who sees her world shattering, or the guy who says he was born attracted to men.  The Jesus who speaks to me tells me they are all God's creations, and they are loved by Him.

Where I am having trouble forgiving my GOP is the pandering to racists and isolationist.  But we all have our crosses to bare. 

It is a pleasure to read your posts, my friend.  You bring a defiant perspective to this forum (You Fight!) and I am grateful for the time you share with us.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 01:06:05 pm »

I'm not that fond of McCain either but it is interesting to see no one dispute the substance of his argument.
Will Rogers said 'Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you can find a rock.'  Few conservatives understand that idea or care.  I think that is why they fail to capture a national audience.  People get turned off by their sanctimony.

Maybe this election is different with the rise of Trump, but I doubt it.

What substance?  I haven't heard any real "substance" from McCain in a VERY long time!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 01:10:47 pm »

And on the dais running for President from the GOP are Pastor Huckabee, Father Santorum, etc.

The GOP writes the skits for Saturday Night Live, with their own characters and plots.

A really, really great skit would show Republicans turning on their own. Turning on GW Bush, McCain, Romney, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan, Newt Gingrich, to name just a few.

Always spouting off about high principle; then in a heartbeat rushing to crowd at the feet of former democrat, pragmatic Donald Trump; who specializes in alienating minority voters.

But I fully expect them to turn on Trump when they learn he doesn't hate homosexuals to their desired degree.

My take as of today. I will vote for the GOP nominee.

There are, in my view, two basic groups of people in the fight for the soul of the GOP. First we have the group that genuinely wants their country back and are willing to fight to make that happen and then we have a bunch of sanctimonious bastards that think everything is just fine as it is!  Which of those groups you fall into is of you own choosing.

- J. R. R. Tolkien