Author Topic: Memory loss breakthrough: New implant can reverse Alzheimer's damage  (Read 520 times)

Offline Paladin

This is most promising if it can be brought to full fruition. It certainly is a step in the right direction. Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease.

"Scientists have developed an electronic implant to help brains damaged by Alzheimer’s retain memories.

They hope it will be used to take over certain areas of diseased brains to help “translate” a short-term memory into a permanent one.

The implant has been developed at the University of Southern California and Wake Forest Baptist Medical Centre over a decade.

The project is funded by the US military as a way of helping injured soldiers overcome memory loss.

But researchers say the astonishing technology could also help to treat brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s.

Project head Ted Berger said the device is already being tried out on humans.

Speaking at the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society conference in Milan, he said: “It’s like being able to translate from Spanish to French without being able to understand either language.”

News of the research prompted excitement among campaigners.

Dr Clare Walton, of the Alzheimer’s Society, said: “A prosthetic memory device is a very exciting prospect, but it has taken decades of research to get this far and there are still many unknowns that need to be worked out by the scientists."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/609875/new-implant-reverse-Alzheimers-memory-loss-high-tech-device-treatment
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Memory loss breakthrough: New implant can reverse Alzheimer's damage
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:21:19 am »
I can't imagine how such a thing would work.  What a huge breakthrough!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!