Author Topic: Mecca belongs to all Muslims, and Saudi Arabia shouldn’t be allowed to run it  (Read 316 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Petroleum and the pilgrimage. The two combined give Saudi Arabia the chance to punch well above its weight, affording one of the world’s most regressive regimes the chance to exercise an outrageous influence on Islam. It’s time to think of alternative arrangements.

It might seem obvious to you why Saudi Arabia is bad for Islam. Because the House of Saud controls Mecca, the direction of Muslim prayer and location of the hajj pilgrimage, and Medina, where the Prophet Mohammed built the first Muslim society, died and is buried, the Kingdom is linked to Islam. And vice versa. Though there is only one Muslim-majority country in the world where women can’t drive, because it is the country that rules over Islam’s holy land, it is assumed that Islam does not want women to drive. Because it is one of the few Muslim-majority countries that suffers an absolute monarchy, it is presumed Islam prefers unaccountable government too.

In so many ways, Saudi Arabia stains the reputation of Islam. But Saudi Arabia has another kind of influence on Islam. Every year, millions of pilgrims descend on Mecca to circumambulate the Ka’ba, the cubical shrine we believe was built by Abraham to honor God, and restored by Mohammed to His worship. Many are from poor countries, and are visibly bedazzled by Saudi conspicuous consumption, the magnificence of the wealth on display, the awesomeness and indescribable hugeness of the great mosques that have been constructed to accommodate their numbers.

God has given the Saudis money beyond measure, and power over His holy land; this must mean God approves of their Islam. I know how many feel. God has given the Saudis money beyond measure, and power over His holy land; this must mean God approves of their Islam.

And what an Islam it is. The official Saudi interpretation of Islam, Wahhabism, was born in violent revolt not only against Shi’a Islam, and the strong traditions of spirituality embedded in Shi’a and Sunni Islam, but even against the Sunni Ottoman caliph. Far from being the world’s leading Sunni power, Saudi Arabia has usurped the mantle of Sunni Islam, helped in its power projection by its small population, great wealth, and the collapse of its erstwhile rivals. (The Ottomans, after all, are long gone.) Saudi Arabia uses oil money to push its Wahhabism onto the Muslim world, and to change Mecca and Medina too.

In recent decades, the Saudis have rebuilt much of Mecca and Medina. Some of this has been necessary. Some of this has been very good. But some of it has come at a great cost to Islam’s dearest relics, monuments and oldest mosques, which have been bulldozed without the least concern.

Read more: http://qz.com/511115/its-time-to-take-mecca-out-of-saudi-hands/#

I would recommend people read all of it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Godzilla

Heh heh heh heh...

888bravo

Offline aligncare

Well, that's one man's opinion.

But as an outsider looking in, nearly my entire life has been witness to Islamic internecine warfare, intifada, rise of Isamic State and holy jihad against non-Muslims.

As a resident of New York City who wept in rage and disbelief the morning of September 11, 2001, and spent the months following in fear of crossing bridges or entering a high rise, pardon me if I seem skeptical. But, I've yet to get the sense of Islam as "a very egalitarian religion," having "rich traditions of pluralism, spirituality and cosmopolitanism."

To me Islam seem the source of problem for a generally peaceful world outside of Islam.