Author Topic: Chaffetz makes play for Speakership  (Read 647 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Chaffetz makes play for Speakership
« on: October 02, 2015, 07:59:44 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/255795-chaffetz-makes-play-for-speakership

By Bradford Richardson - 10/02/15 02:58 PM EDT

House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) is launching a bid for the Speakership, challenging Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), unnamed sources told Politico.
Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.), a member of Chaffetz's Oversight Committee, told The Hill he was almost certain Chaffetz was jumping in the race.

"I have every reason to believe Chaffetz is running for Speaker because many members have told me that," Mulvaney said in a phone interview. The congressman said he had not yet decided whom to support.

Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) said in a statement obtained by The Hill that Chaffetz has been invited to a House forum on Tuesday to audition for the speakership.

"The forum invitation was extended to the two individuals currently announced as running for Speaker," Huelskamp said in the statement. "And given the recent reports, we have also invited Chairman Chaffetz - should he decide to announce his candidacy - to join the forum as well."

McCarthy’s only competition for the post so far is Rep. Daniel Webster (R-Fla.), who is seen as the underdog.

Chaffetz, 48, a four-term lawmaker well respected in the conference, would be a more serious challenger, but would be entering the race very late.

Chaffetz had criticized remarks by McCarthy this week that linked the work of the House Select Committee on Benghazi to Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s falling poll numbers, saying he should apologize.

McCarthy’s comments undercut GOP arguments that the panel was not set up for political reasons — and led some to question whether he was ready for the House’s top job.

“I’m very supportive of Kevin McCarthy, but those statements are just absolutely inappropriate. They should be withdrawn; McCarthy should apologize. I think it was absolutely wrong,” Chaffetz said on Thursday.

During his chairmanship of the Oversight Committee, Chaffetz has investigated allegations that Planned Parenthood traffics in fetal body parts, taken Secret Service to task for security lapses, and probed the IRS over allegations that the agency targets Tea Party groups.

The House GOP Conference will hold elections on Oct. 8.

The elections were triggered by Speaker John Boehner’s (R-Ohio) decision to resign, effective at the end of October.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Chaffetz makes play for Speakership
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 08:56:39 pm »
Well, I have never heard of the guy, but it appears that he would be a much better alternative to McCarthy.  Only drawback is during his college years, Chaffetz was a Democrat. His father had previously been married to Democratic Governor Michael Dukakis's wife, Katherine.

https://www.conservativereview.com/Search?keywords=chaffetz&daterange=&zip=

https://www.conservativereview.com/Search?keywords=chaffetz&daterange=&zip=

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Chaffetz

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

bkepley

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 10:30:01 pm »
McCarthy is done for, my prediction FWIW. What a dumb @ss.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 10:40:36 pm »
McCarthy mangles the English language on a regular basis.  "Untrustable"?
Really?  My choice would be Jim Jordan, but at least Chaffetz seems to be a patriot.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 12:51:53 am »
McCarthy mangles the English language on a regular basis.  "Untrustable"?
Really?  My choice would be Jim Jordan, but at least Chaffetz seems to be a patriot.

Jim Jordan would be great ... there was rumor floating around in the beginning of the year that even though he had no interest in running for Speaker that "they" were thinking of drafting him. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.