Author Topic: Adblock extension with 40 million users sells to mystery buyer, refuses to name new owner  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
If you'd like a new ad blocker I suggest Ublock Origin. It's very good.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=search

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/10/02/trust-us-we-block-ads/

Adblock, a popular extension for blocking advertising in Chrome and Safari with more than 40 million users, was quietly sold today. The extension displayed a popup on October 1 saying that it is now allowing EyeO’s acceptable advertising — which allows advertisers to buy their way onto the whitelist — through the filter.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Great.... **nononono*

Thanks for the alternative suggestion.   I'll go look at that program.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The reviews are saying there are problems with it, fyi......

That said, the pop-ups are driving me crazy.   I won't even click on anything from BLAZE (Beck's site)...or Breitbart.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Dexter

The reviews are saying there are problems with it, fyi......

It's not perfect but it is still extremely useful. Most of the reviews are 4 or 5 stars.

That said, the pop-ups are driving me crazy.   I won't even click on anything from BLAZE (Beck's site)...or Breitbart.

I don't know how people can stand navigating the internet without an ad blocker. If you haven't used one before I think you should definitely try it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:51:53 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline flowers

I have ghostery. It helps with many sites. Daily Caller site won't go there. It freezes my browser. Breitbart no problem Blaze used to be a problem, hasn't been of late.

Offline DCPatriot

It's not perfect but it is still extremely useful. Most of the reviews are 4 or 5 stars.

I don't know how people can stand navigating the internet without an ad blocker. If you haven't used one before I think you should definitely try it.

...because I'm fearful of screwing up my system??   :laugh:

If I install it, and I have issues....if I buy you a plane ticket, would you come and fix it for me?   :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Dexter

...because I'm fearful of screwing up my system??   :laugh:

If I install it, and I have issues....if I buy you a plane ticket, would you come and fix it for me?   :patriot:

It's a small browser extension and it's incredibly easy to use. All you have to do is go to the download for your browser, install it and then open the file. The default settings will more than likely be exactly what you wanted. Your pages will also load a lot quicker because they won't be processing those obnoxious ads. It makes browsing the internet so much better.  If you somehow had an issue with it you could easily uninstall it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:24:22 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline DCPatriot

I did it, Dex.   Thank you.

Had been having problems with some sites whereby Mozilla would suddenly stop responding, and I'd have to kill the session and go back in.   

Hate change......   :laugh:

Offline Dexter

I have palemoon, which one should I try? I have ghostery too.

Pale Moon is a Firefox based browser so you'd want to use the Firefox download. Ghostery does its job and can replace an ad blocker but it sells your browsing stats to advertisers, so it just comes down to whether or not that bothers you.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:12:24 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline famousdayandyear

If you'd like a new ad blocker I suggest Ublock Origin. It's very good.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=search

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/10/02/trust-us-we-block-ads/

Hey, Dexter.  Thanks!  Just downloaded on Firefox and disabled AdBlock.
Wow.  What an improvement in speed!  Thank you.  You da best!
 :beer: :beer:

Offline DCPatriot

Pale Moon is a Firefox based browser so you'd want to use the Firefox download. Ghostery does its job and can replace an ad blocker but it sells your browsing stats to advertisers, so it just comes down to whether or not that bothers you.

Okay....I did it and.....IT'S MAAAAAVELOUS!    :beer:

Feel like I'm behind the wheel of my M5 Beemer again!   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:36:35 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline Dexter

Hey, Dexter.  Thanks!  Just downloaded on Firefox and disabled AdBlock.
Wow.  What an improvement in speed!  Thank you.  You da best!
 :beer: :beer:

Okay....I did it and.....IT'S MAAAAAVELOUS!    :beer:

Feel like I'm behind the wheel of my M5 Beemer again!

I'm glad you like it. :beer:

-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
This is brilliant! Thank you dex.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink