Author Topic: Phone directory printers set to close  (Read 354 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Phone directory printers set to close
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:27:34 am »
A factory that prints telephone directories is set to close, with the loss of 200 jobs.

Printing business RR Donnelley, in Flaxby, North Yorkshire, has produced books including the Yellow Pages for the United Kingdom and abroad.

The firm said production at the site could cease by the end of the year. Union officers are due to meet with management at the plant next week.

The company, started in Chicago, US, has sites across the UK and Ireland.

It said the proposals had been announced "with regret", with a consultation process now starting.

Read more: http://report24uk.info/article/322746/phone-directory-printers-set-to-close

This basically caught my attention because our new Yellow Pages was delivered yesterday.

It's under half an inch thick. I live in London, one of the biggest cities in the world. In the course of 25 years at this address, the yellow pages have gone from a two volume set, each volume 2" thick, to this - something that is smaller than some magazines.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Re: Phone directory printers set to close
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:28:16 am »
I didn't realize any of them still existed.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 12:35:27 am »

The downfall of print magazines happened fast, too. Time, Newsweek, U.S. News & World Report. Does anybody go down to the corner for a paper anymore? And, surely no one waits for the latest copy of Playboy do they?

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 12:37:06 am »
The downfall of print magazines happened fast, too. Time, Newsweek, U.S. News & World Report. Does anybody go down to the corner for a paper anymore? And, surely no one waits for the latest copy of Playboy anymore?

I still have the Wall Street Journal delivered at home so I can read it on the train.  It's one of the few papers left that's worth investing in the paper copy.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:37:26 am by Oceander »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 12:46:13 am »
I get a couple of gardening magazines delivered - no one has worked out how to send seed packets through the internet yet! - and I get Private Eye delivered since they refuse to go digital (thank God!).

Other than that, the Sunday Times every week and picking up the occasional Evening Standard or Metro on the tube is about the only hard copy we get.

It just really brought home to me how much and how fast information delivery has changed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 01:20:42 am »
I get a couple of gardening magazines delivered - no one has worked out how to send seed packets through the internet yet! - and I get Private Eye delivered since they refuse to go digital (thank God!).

Other than that, the Sunday Times every week and picking up the occasional Evening Standard or Metro on the tube is about the only hard copy we get.

It just really brought home to me how much and how fast information delivery has changed.

I love reading books on iPad. Mostly the classics. Never read for fun before (just technical and nonfiction). But the classics are public domain and downloadable and free!