Author Topic: Rand Paul: Ted Cruz ‘Pretty Much Done For’ in Senate  (Read 2896 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rand Paul: Ted Cruz ‘Pretty Much Done For’ in Senate
« on: September 30, 2015, 11:55:28 am »
http://www3.blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/rand-paul-ted-cruz-pretty-much-done-for-in-senate/

By Niels Lesniewski   Posted at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 29, 2015

Sen. Rand Paul on Tuesday said fellow Republican presidential candidate Ted. Cruz is “done for” in the Senate.

“Ted has chosen to make this really personal and chosen to call people dishonest in leadership and call them names, which really goes against the decorum and also against the rules of the Senate, and as a consequence, he can’t get anything done legislatively,” Paul told Fox News Radio. “He is pretty much done for and stifled and it’s really because of personal relationships, or lack of personal relationships, and it is a problem.”

Paul, a Kentucky Republican who has had the backing of his home-state senior senator, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, despite some tough policy differences, had been asked about Cruz’s inability to even muster the support of 11 senators to secure a roll call vote on a procedural motion designed to amend the continuing resolution to keep the government running.

The Senate’s set to vote on passage of that measure at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, the last day of the federal government’s 2015 fiscal year.

“I approach things a little different, I am still just as hardcore in saying what we are doing, I just chose not to call people liars on the Senate floor and it’s just a matter of different perspectives on how best to get to the end result,” Paul said in the interview.

Paul backed McConnell’s 2014 re-election bid. Cruz had accused McConnell of lying to him about the way forward for the revival of the Export-Import Bank in the Senate.

Like Cruz, Paul opposes the CR advanced by McConnell to avoid a shutdown later in the week. But Paul has focused his criticism on the use of the stopgap spending vehicles. Paul would have rather seen more pressure put on Democrats to advance the dozen individual appropriation bills.

“I would defund not only Planned Parenthood but hundreds and hundreds of regulations, hundreds and hundreds of wasteful programs. I would take them all out, put them on the table and say ‘You know what Democrats, it doesn’t take 60 votes to defund something, it’s actually going to take 60 votes to fund any of these programs,’ vote on them one at a time and we will see how many of these crazy programs get 60 votes. My guess would be very few, but that would take the courage to let the spending expire and start anew and let new programs all require 60 votes to pass,” Paul said.

McConnell signaled Tuesday he intends to call additional votes on the regular fiscal 2016 spending bills, though there was no evidence Democrats accede to that proposal without a big budget agreement between the two parties.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Rand Paul: Ted Cruz ‘Pretty Much Done For’ in Senate
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:25:04 pm »
Sounds like Rand is going against Cruz because of his lack of popularity in the polls. Rand has chosen to stay quiet whereas Cruz has been very vocal with the truth as to what is going on. The "people" need transparency; the people need to know what's going on.  Cruz has displayed backbone and integrity; something that is really going to be needed by the next president.  BTW Rand's foreign policy of isolationism scares the heck out of me; especially right now with Putin building up his military in Syria.  In addition Rand is a flip-flopper.  For years he stated that Iran was not a threat to the U.S. nor to Israel and then since he decided to run for president has changed his mind.  Even at that his stance on Iran still differs from both Cruz and Rubio.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/rand-paul-challenges-marco-rubio-and-ted-cruz-on-iran/?_r=0
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:37:26 pm »
BTW Rand's foreign policy of isolationism scares the heck out of me; especially right now with Putin building up his military in Syria.

It's a crazy world. This may be the first time in history a former head of Soviet KGB shows more moral leadership than an American president. Wonder what Irkutsk is like this time of year?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:00:16 am by aligncare »

bkepley

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 12:44:28 pm »
Sounds like Rand is going against Cruz because of his lack of popularity in the polls. Rand has chosen to stay quiet whereas Cruz has been very vocal with the truth as to what is going on. The "people" need transparency; the people need to know what's going on.  Cruz has displayed backbone and integrity; something that is really going to be needed by the next president.  BTW Rand's foreign policy of isolationism scares the heck out of me; especially right now with Putin building up his military in Syria.  In addition Rand is a flip-flopper.  For years he stated that Iran was not a threat to the U.S. nor to Israel and then since he decided to run for president has changed his mind.  Even at that his stance on Iran still differs from both Cruz and Rubio.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/rand-paul-challenges-marco-rubio-and-ted-cruz-on-iran/?_r=0

Rand Paul is not the only isolationist in this bunch, only the most famous.  Also economic warfare is dangerous too even if it does not lead to actual warfare which it sometimes does.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:50:52 pm »
BTW Rand's foreign policy of isolationism scares the heck out of me; especially right now with Putin building up his military in Syria.

It's a crazy world. This may be the first time in history the former head of Soviet KGB shows more moral leadership then the American president. Wonder what Irkutsk is like this time of year?

Exactly.  I'm sure you've read the headlines; Putin has begun airstrikes in Syria and has demanded that the U.S. stays out!  IMHO with a Cruz presidency he would have never given Putin this latitude. With a Paul presidency; it's anybody's guess.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/09/30/boots-on-ground-russian-lawmakers-back-putin-sending-troops-to-syria/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 02:53:25 pm »
I met the guy last year when he came here in support of our GOP congressional nominee for our district. My take is he is a fairly pompous, self-absorbed banty rooster. Not that he doesn't have some good things to say, but he's not Presidential material.

Cruz is eating his lunch and he knows it, so what else can he do?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 02:54:18 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

bkepley

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 02:58:32 pm »
I met the guy last year when he came here in support of our GOP congressional nominee for our district. My take is he is a fairly pompous, self-absorbed banty rooster. Not that he doesn't have some good things to say, but he's not Presidential material.

Cruz is eating his lunch and he knows it, so what else can he do?

It seems that Cruz is not presidential material either.  Nationally the more people know of him the less they like him and he is now underwater in popularity.  Cruz would be a good choice for VP.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 03:26:53 pm »
Cruz has decided to expose the Senate GOP and tell the truth and the GOP politicians therefore despise him.  I still anticipate a strong Cruz rise in the polls as the field narrows.  He will shine in a debate with few participants and distractions.

Rand has jumped the shark.  I thought he would be doing far better than he has.    He looks petty and self absorbed and worse...........irrelevant.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 03:54:36 pm »
It seems that Cruz is not presidential material either.  Nationally the more people know of him the less they like him and he is now underwater in popularity.  Cruz would be a good choice for VP.

Nice try buddy, but I follow the polls too close to buy that crap spin. Cruz has polled where he has always polled - upper single digits. He has neither risen or fallen in popularity. He has though gained what he has at great expense to Rand, especially here in Iowa.
The Republic is lost.

bkepley

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 04:05:12 pm »
Nice try buddy, but I follow the polls too close to buy that crap spin. Cruz has polled where he has always polled - upper single digits. He has neither risen or fallen in popularity. He has though gained what he has at great expense to Rand, especially here in Iowa.

I just looked this up today and Cruz's poularity nationally meaning among all voters is declining and is underwater.  I wasn't referring to GOP voters.  The GOP alone can't elect Cruz.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 04:07:31 pm »
Exactly.  I'm sure you've read the headlines; Putin has begun airstrikes in Syria and has demanded that the U.S. stays out!  IMHO with a Cruz presidency he would have never given Putin this latitude. With a Paul presidency; it's anybody's guess. 

Putin's protecting his interests and fighting against ISIS.  He asked us to join forces, we declined.  Now he's telling us to get the hell out of the way.

What would President Cruz have done differently?  Just curious.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 04:09:32 pm »

The RINOGOP hates CRUZ as much as TRUMP. Cruz polls numbers are skewed and artificially low. The RINOGOP have all they can handle with TRUMP running away and their choices BUSHIE, RUBIO and now CARLY not going anywhere. They cannot have Ted Cruz up their also and they know it. Carson is also a thorn in the side and to have 3 outsiders and CARLY is NOT an OUTSIDER is way to much and they know the RINOGOP is going down. :patriot:

Offline Longiron

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 04:11:59 pm »
Putin's protecting his interests and fighting against ISIS.  He asked us to join forces, we declined.  Now he's telling us to get the hell out of the way.

What would President Cruz have done differently?  Just curious.

Think CRUZ would have helped with Special Forces, Intelligence and supply support to see what happens. One thing if PUTIN is going after ISIS he will have it complete in 6 months at least in Syria. They play to WIN.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 04:17:15 pm »
I just looked this up today and Cruz's poularity nationally meaning among all voters is declining and is underwater.  I wasn't referring to GOP voters.  The GOP alone can't elect Cruz.

Which right now is pretty much a meaningless number.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 10:01:10 pm »

Good grief!  Not "presidential material"?  Please enlighten me as to you think is "presidential material"?

bkepley

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 10:07:54 pm »
Good grief!  Not "presidential material"?  Please enlighten me as to you think is "presidential material"?

To start with it would be nice if you could actually win...that was my point.

Godzilla

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 10:20:14 pm »
The RINOGOP hates CRUZ as much as TRUMP. Cruz polls numbers are skewed and artificially low. The RINOGOP have all they can handle with TRUMP running away and their choices BUSHIE, RUBIO and now CARLY not going anywhere. They cannot have Ted Cruz up their also and they know it. Carson is also a thorn in the side and to have 3 outsiders and CARLY is NOT an OUTSIDER is way to much and they know the RINOGOP is going down. :patriot:

Everything is not a plot or conspiracy.  Please get a grip.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 04:25:41 am »
When you quote longiron it defeats my ignore.

I don't hate Cruz.  I'll vote for Cruz without hesitation because I think he is a genuine conservative, I know where he stands, and his principles don't change from interview to interview or month to month.  I will have a hard time voting for Trump.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 08:55:59 am »
The ONLY one in the field I would not only never vote for (aside from the obvious reason!) but would actively work against should they get the nomination is Jeb.

Not because of his politics - he's your average squish Repub, no worse and possibly slightly better than the congresscritters under the same banner.

No political dynasties. It's as simple as that. Elected positions should NOT be a family business.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 08:29:15 pm »
Paul is trying to stay afloat; he may NOT be included in the next prime time debate.  He started out very strong and the MSM even had him pegged as a formidable threat to Hillary because of his appeal to the Independents.  However, it appears he has pretty much sunk his own ship and  has slipped in the polls even below Kasich and Christie.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/30/rand-paul-might-not-make-the-next-prime-time-debate/

http://national.suntimes.com/national-world-news/7/72/1912228/rand-paul-might-debate-next-gop-debate

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 08:34:25 pm »

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan