Author Topic: Highly efficient and ultra-broadband graphene oxide ultrathin lenses with three-dimensional subwavelength focusing  (Read 402 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150922/ncomms9433/full/ncomms9433.html

Nanometric flat lenses with three-dimensional subwavelength focusing are indispensable in miniaturized optical systems. However, they are fundamentally challenging to achieve because of the difficulties in accurately controlling the optical wavefront by a film with nanometric thickness. Based on the unique and giant refractive index and absorption modulations of the sprayable graphene oxide thin film during its laser reduction process, we demonstrate a graphene oxide ultrathin (~200 nm) flat lens that shows far-field three-dimensional subwavelength focusing (λ3/5) with an absolute focusing efficiency of >32% for a broad wavelength range from 400 to 1,500 nm. Our flexible graphene oxide lenses are mechanically robust and maintain excellent focusing properties under high stress. The simple and scalable fabrication approach enables wide potential applications in on-chip nanophotonics. The wavefront shaping concept opens up new avenues for easily accessible, highly precise and efficient optical beam manipulations with a flexible and integratable planar graphene oxide ultrathin film.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

Some of you may be old enough. Do you remember Professor Erwin Corey? American comic billed as the world's foremost authority?

His shtick was talking like the above. And I got just about as much from his prattle as I did this article.