Author Topic: To Replace Boehner, Why Not Newt for Speaker?.... By Jonah Goldberg  (Read 208 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/424812/print

To Replace Boehner, Why Not Newt for Speaker?
By Jonah Goldberg — September 30, 2015

Almost exactly seven years ago, House Speaker John Boehner said of the Wall Street bailout bill, “I think this thing is a crap sandwich” — but he’d vote for it anyway. I remarked at the time, “It’s crap sandwiches for as far as the eye can see” — and I was right.

Boehner finally had his fill of the meal, opting to push away from the table, as it were. On Friday, he announced he’ll be resigning the speakership and his seat.

Boehner has become a lightning rod for a large segment of the base that is simply fed up with GOP failures, both real and imagined, in the age of Obama.

Some say he quit because he was going to be fired. People on the Hill tell me that’s not necessarily so. But what’s clear is that going through with a no-confidence vote would have put many House Republicans in a terrible spot. Boehner might have even needed Democratic votes to help him keep his job. A speaker who cannot earn the support of a majority of his own caucus would be a political eunuch.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: To Replace Boehner, Why Not Newt for Speaker?.... By Jonah Goldberg
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:27:44 pm »

Not a terrible idea. In fact, has great upside potential.

I fought against Gingrich's candidacy for president but have great admiration for his knowledge, skills and political philosophy.