Author Topic: Smoking in cars with children will be illegal from tomorrow (UK)  (Read 608 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Smoking in cars with children will be illegal from tomorrow (UK)
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:17:47 am »
A new law which prohibits smokers lighting up in a car with children inside is to come into force, but police say they will be taking a softly-softly approach.

From Thursday onwards officers will be able to pull over motorists smoking while driving with children and issue an on-the-spot £50 fine, which could increase to £2,500 if the motorist is taken to court.

However police chiefs say they will not be heavily enforcing the ban, meaning officers will often let motorists off with a warning, exercising ‘education not prosecution’.

A spokesperson for the National Police Chief’s Council said: ‘Forces will be following guidance from the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health by taking an educational, advisory and non-confrontational approach.’

The relaxed attitude to the new legislation continues on from the debate between ministers on the law, with many calling the new rules unenforceable and unnecessary.

However a Department of Health source told MailOnline that officials were not expecting police to hunt for offenders.

The new law also stipulates that if a passenger is smoking in a car with a child present, both the adult passenger and the driver are committing an offence.

Smoking is also prohibited in a motorhome if a child is inside (but only if it is moving) under the new law.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/30/smoking-in-cars-with-children-will-be-illegal-from-tomorrow-but-the-police-wont-prioritise-it-5413808/

Welp - that's the grand kids pissed off. No more me driving them places, I guess.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

Re: Smoking in cars with children will be illegal from tomorrow (UK)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:13:01 am »

Yeah, my dad was multiple offender. No seatbelt, drove intoxicated, smoked Camels, gave us kids occasional smack down, and had an accomplice. Yeah, he and mom left us --gasp-- unattended in car while they shopped. It's a wonder I'm alive.

Offline raml

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 11:56:46 am »
We didn't have seat belts when I was growing up they didn't come around till my first child was around 6 or older. My dad smoked and my parents lived to be 94 and all of us kids are alive at 65,70,74and 77. We all smoked but quit like my dad did around 60. My dad smoked in the car in the house and everywhere as all dads I knew did. My dad never drank with us kids in the car nor did they ever leave us in the car when shopping. My parents paid for passes for all of us kids to swim at the park pool every day. We rode out  bikes everywhere and walked around town from the time we were 6 and because we were not quite a mile from school walked there and came home at lunch too. We were healthy and had a great childhood. Today makes me sick they everyone has to worry about everything it seems and kids are brattier than they have ever been because parents work and just don't parent anymore they are to tired.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 06:35:32 pm »
I lived as well.