Author Topic: Cruz sternly rebuked by GOP  (Read 7200 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Cruz sternly rebuked by GOP
« on: September 29, 2015, 07:29:58 am »
Ted Cruz can’t even get a protest vote in the Senate anymore.

On Monday night, Cruz’s colleagues ignored his attempt to disrupt Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s efforts to fund the government without attacking Planned Parenthood. In an unusual rebuke, even fellow Republicans denied him a “sufficient second” that would have allowed him a roll call vote.

Then, his Republican colleagues loudly bellowed “no” when Cruz sought a voice vote, a second repudiation that showed how little support Cruz has: Just one other GOP senator — Utah’s Mike Lee — joined with Cruz as he was overruled by McConnell and his deputies.

It was the second time that Cruz had been denied a procedural courtesy that’s routinely granted to senators in both parties. The first came after he called McConnell a liar this summer.

Cruz was incredulous on Monday, calling it an “unprecedented procedural trick."

“What does denying a second mean? Denying a recorded vote. Why is that important?” Cruz said. “When you are breaking the commitment you’ve made to the men and women who elected you, the most painful thing in the world is accountability.”

Indeed, denying Cruz a vote prevents the Texas senator from dredging up the roll call in the future and using it to attack his colleagues.
150928_mcconnell_coryn_brasso_ap_1160.jpg

Senate easily advances bill to avoid shutdown

By Seung Min Kim

Cruz said he would again try to force a vote on Tuesday when the Senate votes to pass a spending bill that does not defund Planned Parenthood. In an unusual request meant to draw attention to his ongoing battle with Republican leadership, the Texas senator implored voters to tune in and see where their senators stand on Tuesday when he again requests a "sufficient second."

“One of the ways you avoid accountability is you somehow are somewhere else doing something really, really important instead of actually showing up to the battle,” Cruz said, accusing Republicans of joining with Democrats to “roll over any parliamentary trick you might use.”

Cruz’s speech was filled with familiar accusations that Republican leaders were capitulating, even as he praised Democrats for being more resolute than the GOP. But Cruz also personally lambasted McConnell and his deputies for denying a roll call vote that would have failed anyway, arguing that results are rigged in the Senate and that conservatives have no influence anymore.

“There are no mystical powers that allow you to roll over that. But in the House we still got 30, 40, 50 strong conservatives,” Cruz said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/ted-cruz-senate-rebuke-planned-parenthood-214183
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

Re: Cruz sternly rebuked by GOP
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:59:02 am »
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and bask in the brilliance of Ted Cruz on the senate floor yesterday, in a short imbedded YouTube vid:

http://www.marklevinshow.com

The more I see him the more I love him.

Edit: Sorry folks that vid is gone from the page this morning. Probably searchable at YouTube.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:25:09 pm by aligncare »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:27:46 am »
I watched. He's impressive.

He's passionate, VERY conservative, keeps his word (almost unheard of), understands the need to keep pushing constantly. I'll support him whole-heartedly should he get the nomination.

I just wish (personally) that he was more, I dunno, likeable? It's in no way important, I know - it'd make the "just folks" segments of the campaigning a little more tolerable to watch though!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:08:25 am »
I watched. He's impressive.

He's passionate, VERY conservative, keeps his word (almost unheard of), understands the need to keep pushing constantly. I'll support him whole-heartedly should he get the nomination.

I just wish (personally) that he was more, I dunno, likeable? It's in no way important, I know - it'd make the "just folks" segments of the campaigning a little more tolerable to watch though!

Yes, I understand completely what you're saying. He does come across as slightly smarmy. But, listening to him is a delight. He's a solidly principled man.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 10:52:23 am »
Yes, I understand completely what you're saying. He does come across as slightly smarmy. But, listening to him is a delight. He's a solidly principled man.
I'll tell you this much: with Walker out, Cruz is now my favorite.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 10:56:42 am »

I pray he gains more traction.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 11:21:29 am »
I am grateful to Ted Cruz for all the things he has managed to bring to the attention of the American electorate.  He can wear these "rebukes" from the GOP as badges of honor as far as I am concerned. 

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 01:01:03 pm »
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and bask in the brilliance of Ted Cruz on the senate floor yesterday, in a short imbedded YouTube vid:

http://www.marklevinshow.com

The more I see him the more I love him.

Thanks for the link.  I have been a huge supporter of Ted Cruz for awhile.  He never disappoints, and I feel he is really our last shot at restoring this country.  He is a true conservative, well educated and  brings with him Supreme Court law experience. Above all else he has integrity.

Ted Cruz 2016.    Reigniting the Promise of America!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 01:12:39 pm »

Ditto!

If I had to vote tomorrow it would be for Ted Cruz.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 01:35:07 pm »
Thanks for the link.  I have been a huge supporter of Ted Cruz for awhile.  He never disappoints, and I feel he is really our last shot at restoring this country.  He is a true conservative, well educated and  brings with him Supreme Court law experience. Above all else he has integrity.

I agree Ted Cruz appears to be the real deal!

I pray he gains traction. But if he can't, I think we all sense a tacit deal brewing between the front runner and Ted Cruz.

Cruz is young, perhaps as Vice president of the United States his time may come in four or eight years from 1.20.17? Whatever avenue Ted Cruz takes, I hope eventually he arrives at the Oval Office. I can't think of a better man for the job.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 02:04:08 pm »

I pray he gains traction. But if he can't, I think we all sense a tacit deal brewing between the front runner and Ted Cruz.

Cruz is young, perhaps as Vice president of the United States his time may come in four or eight years from 1.20.17? Whatever avenue Ted Cruz takes, I hope eventually he arrives at the Oval Office. I can't think of a better man for the job.

Completely agree!  I love Ted Cruz, he is my first pick - but, as you say, if he can't gain traction - a VP slot is where he needs to be.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 02:35:00 pm »
He can wear these "rebukes" from the GOP as badges of honor as far as I am concerned.

Great point.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 02:36:27 pm »

I feel a very real sense of urgency.  If we don't elect a strong conservative this time around, the doo doo will only get deeper.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:36:59 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Longiron

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 03:03:01 pm »

Agree Curz is a great man and would make a great POTUS. One point to remember is that the RINOGOP hates Cruz as much as TRUMP. If TRUMP not in the race they WOULD have been attacking CRUZ as much as TRUMP. We would all be looking and bitching about BUSHIE being the candidate by now? TRUMP being self funded is the main difference and as good as man as CRUZ is he needs the donors. Cruz fans and being one, need to support TRUMP to keep CRUZ alive in this race. TC is young and can be a VP, Attorney GEN and run again for the POTUS when he gets more exposure to the nation. MOST all on here are NOT Lo info voters but the masses of the US are lo info, sorry to say and TC needs to be known a little more. That is not to say he is not qualified but NAME recognition and likeability are the way most people vote. :patriot:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:04:25 pm by Longiron »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 03:09:54 pm »
Agree Curz is a great man and would make a great POTUS. One point to remember is that the RINOGOP hates Cruz as much as TRUMP. If TRUMP not in the race they WOULD have been attacking CRUZ as much as TRUMP. We would all be looking and bitching about BUSHIE being the candidate by now? TRUMP being self funded is the main difference and as good as man as CRUZ is he needs the donors. Cruz fans and being one, need to support TRUMP to keep CRUZ alive in this race. TC is young and can be a VP, Attorney GEN and run again for the POTUS when he gets more exposure to the nation. MOST all on here are NOT Lo info voters but the masses of the US are lo info, sorry to say and TC needs to be known a little more. That is not to say he is not qualified but NAME recognition and likeability are the way most people vote. :patriot:

Yep. Good points all.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 05:42:53 pm »
Once again Cruz has unified almost all the GOP Senators.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 06:32:57 pm »

Once again, Cruz has stood for the truth and the voice of the American conservative voter!  We could use an entire Senate full of senators like him.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 07:19:48 pm »
His "track record" of congressional accomplishments, is certainly consistent.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 08:52:33 pm »

And, that says a lot about the feckless no-accounts in the Senate.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 08:54:20 pm »
His "track record" of congressional accomplishments, is certainly consistent.

Well...he hasn't been there very long, he is fighting an entrenched and corrupted system, so I wouldn't expect him to have many "go along to get along" accomplishments.  Would you?

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 08:59:07 pm »
Once again, Cruz has stood for the truth and the voice of the American conservative voter!  We could use an entire Senate full of senators like him.
Only 6% of American conservative voters support him for President.  Looks like Cruz is unifying voters against him too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 09:02:22 pm »
Only 6% of American conservative voters support him for President.  Looks like Cruz is unifying voters against him too.

Just curious - who do you support?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 09:03:23 pm »

you betcha... :whistle:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 09:08:06 pm »
And, that says a lot about the feckless no-accounts in the Senate.
That is one way to look at it.  Since every GOP Senator who ran for re-election in 2014 won, perhaps most voters disagree.

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 09:10:34 pm »
Just curious - who do you support?
I'll pull the lever for the GOP nominee, Cruz included, but my first pick is Rubio now that Walker and Perry have dropped out.