Author Topic: Obama uses United Nations speech to pressure Putin  (Read 1016 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama uses United Nations speech to pressure Putin
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:47:40 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/international/255140-obama-uses-un-speech-to-pressure-putin

By Jordan Fabian - 09/28/15 11:18 AM EDT

President Obama condemned Russia for its support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad during a speech to the United Nations General Assembly on Monday that was meant to push nations to use diplomacy to solve the world’s conflicts.

Obama criticized nations that “assert themselves in a way that contravene international law" in a thinly veiled shot at Russian President Vladimir Putin, a chief ally of Assad.

"We're told that such retrenchment is required to beat back disorder, that it's the only way to stamp out terrorism,” he said. “In accordance with this logic we should support tyrants like Bashar al-Assad, who drops barrel bombs to massacre innocent children because the alternative is surely worse.”

Obama’s comments came just hours before he was scheduled to meet with Putin for the first time in nearly two years. The two leaders are expected to discuss Russian intervention in conflicts in Ukraine and Syria.

The president pointed to his nuclear deal with Iran and détente with Cuba as examples of how diplomacy can be used to resolve disputes with adversaries while avoiding war and suffering.

But the rise of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria has challenged Obama’s foreign policy, as the extremist group has fueled a humanitarian crisis in Syria.

--This developing story will be updated.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Obama uses United Nations speech to pressure Putin
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 03:51:44 pm »

CSPAN cuts away from Obama's so far dull UN speech just in time to see John Kerry yawning
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:52:38 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 06:12:48 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/255152-putin-swipes-at-us-in-combative-un-speech

Putin swipes at US in combative UN speech

By Julian Hattem - 09/28/15 12:42 PM EDT

Russian President Vladimir Putin doubled down on his support for embattled Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad in a combative speech before the United Nations on Monday.

The Russian leader’s remarks countered remarks by President Obama, who chided Moscow’s growing assertiveness in Syria from the same lectern just two hours earlier. The two men are to speak later on Monday in what is sure to be a tense bilateral meeting.

“We think it is an enormous mistake to refuse to cooperate with the Syrian government and its armed forces,” Putin said at the annual gathering of world leaders in New York. “We should finally acknowledge that no one but President Assad and the Kurdish militias are truly fighting the Islamic State and other Islamic terrorist organizations in Syria.”

Putin’s comments shortly after noon on Monday did little to quell skepticism about the odds for progress between the U.S. and Russia.

The two countries are becoming increasingly bound to each other in Syria, after Russia’s recent efforts to play a greater role in the conflict, though their policies are clearly in conflict. Putin has come to the defense of Assad, a Russian ally, even as the U.S. has insisted that he needs to leave power.

The power vacuum created by the four-year-old violence has created room for the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), which has grown in strength and only complicated the political dynamic.

The Obama administration has attempted to support moderate elements of the Syrian opposition, though that effort has been undercut by its embarrassingly lackluster results. This weekend, the Pentagon confirmed that weapons that had been given to those rebels had been passed along to affiliates of al Qaeda.

“The situation is more than dangerous,” Putin said on Monday, in one of multiple veiled swipes at the White House.

“It is highly critical and irresponsible to make threats about the threat of international terrorism while turning a blind eye to the challenges of financing and supporting terrorists,” he said, in an apparent reference to the U.S.’s support for some Syrian rebels.

Putin and Obama are scheduled to meet face-to-face for the first time in more than a year later in the afternoon.

Putin blamed the rise of ISIS — which grew out of al Qaeda’s affiliate in Iraq — on the U.S.-based invasion of Iraq in 2003, as well as on the White House’s support for revel groups during the so-called “Arab Spring” of 2010 and 2011.

“Policies based on self-conceit and belief in one’s exceptionalism and impunity have never been abandoned,” Putin said. “It is now obvious that the power vacuum in the Middle East and North Africa led to the emergency of anarchy areas which immediately started to be filled with extremists and terrorists.”

In addition to Syria, the U.S. and Russia have also repeatedly clashed on Ukraine, where Moscow has supported separatist rebels to break away from Kiev.

Here, too, Putin dug in on Monday, making clear that he has no intention of backing off his support for the rebels.

“Ukraine’s territorial cannot be ensured by threat of force of arms,” he said. What is needed is a genuine consideration of the interests and rights of the people the Donbass region and respect for their choice,” he said, referring to one self-proclaimed breakaway state. 
Support the USO

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 06:17:13 pm »
How could Putin stop laughing at the squeakings of Barry Obama long enough to respond at all?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 07:26:50 pm »
I wonder what kind of deals obama is giving Putin behind the scenes?  He hasn't yet that we know of cut our nukes down. You know that is on his list before he leaves office.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 07:36:15 pm »
I doubt the Worm will touch the nukes. He doesn't need to - maintenance has been sparse and shoddy for decades, that's not even a secret. Let time deal with it rather than an overt maneuver. Still gets what he wants, right?

I'm thinking more along the lines of ceding the Arctic, perhaps? Canada will grumble but probably go along, and Norway/Denmark really don't have the capability to do anything major up there.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 07:47:56 pm »
I doubt the Worm will touch the nukes. He doesn't need to - maintenance has been sparse and shoddy for decades, that's not even a secret. Let time deal with it rather than an overt maneuver. Still gets what he wants, right?

I'm thinking more along the lines of ceding the Arctic, perhaps? Canada will grumble but probably go along, and Norway/Denmark really don't have the capability to do anything major up there.
Yes, just like he is doing with the military. Not maintaining it. Arctic. YES I agree. Just today read a article that Shell is leaving the Arctic, said there wasn't enough to drill for. Wasn't cost effective.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 08:39:40 pm »
Obama's "pressure" probably consisted of him begging Putin not to make him look bad. "Please, please, please..."
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 08:41:20 pm »
I wonder what kind of deals obama is giving Putin behind the scenes?  He hasn't yet that we know of cut our nukes down. You know that is on his list before he leaves office.

Alright, I have to chime in here. Why do we need as many nukes as we have? We have enough to end humanity multiple times over. Is having enough nukes to end humanity once not enough?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 09:06:56 pm »
Alright, I have to chime in here. Why do we need as many nukes as we have? We have enough to end humanity multiple times over. Is having enough nukes to end humanity once not enough?
Why cut them back?  There was a time when this country was feared. Militarily and backed up with our nukes. By the time obama leaves office we will have neither.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 09:11:12 pm »
Why do you have them in the first place? A dick measuring contest got a bit out of hand.

Why keep them? It's cheaper and safer than dismantling them.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 09:13:42 pm »
Why cut them back?  There was a time when this country was feared. Militarily and backed up with our nukes. By the time obama leaves office we will have neither.

From what I understand they are rather costly to maintain. It just seems incredibly redundant to have enough nukes to end humanity multiple times. I highly doubt any country on Earth will stop respecting the power of our military any time soon. Everybody knows we're the biggest and baddest.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 09:14:59 pm »

Is it? I don't know a lot about the costs of dismantling nukes. I thought we were wasting a lot of money to maintain them.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:15:34 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Godzilla

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 09:15:05 pm »
Yes, just like he is doing with the military. Not maintaining it. Arctic. YES I agree. Just today read a article that Shell is leaving the Arctic, said there wasn't enough to drill for. Wasn't cost effective.

Having a military costs money.  Sequestration has been lopping 5% off the baseline budget each and every year it's around.  That's 5% off last year's budget for this year... and 5% off this year's budget for next.

Of course maintainence is going to suffer.  If you want better, you'd better tell your Congress critter to fix that.

Godzilla

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 09:15:59 pm »
Why do you have them in the first place? A dick measuring contest got a bit out of hand.

Nukes are cheaper to maintain than a conventional force capable of wrecking the same level of damage.

Offline flowers

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 09:26:34 pm »
I highly doubt any country on Earth will stop respecting the power of our military any time soon
I think you are wrong on this.  He will make sure the world knows how much and what he has destroyed here. Right now the military can only fight one war zone. Lowest since ww2 I believe. World powers know obama won't fight back and when he is gone and we might have to, we won't be able to. Remember...he is cutting us down to size for all the wrongs we have done for 200 years. On the nukes....I just don't have a answer for you. I have no problem having way to many.