Author Topic: SAS in race to destroy ISIS poison gas plant that could slaughter THOUSANDS  (Read 393 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Look, I'm straight up embarrassed to post this - it reads like it was written by a 5 year old (and published in one of our bigger tabloids.....)

SAS raced against time to destroy ISIS poison gas plant

The order was given after intelligence reports revealed that the Islamic State terror group was planning a chemical attack on Kurds in the east of the country.

Last night a team of 60 SAS soldiers were accompanying a US chemical warfare team in the hunt for the chlorine warehouse, said to be situated in a heavily fortified ISIS stronghold 50 miles from the Iraq border.
Related articles

Outgunned and outnumbered: SAS hero storms ISIS hideout and kills...
    Britain needs to destroy ISIS NOW by joining forces with PUTIN and...

According to Kurdish sources, the weapons may have been placed in an underground bunker to protect them from Nato air strikes.

However, air strikes would not have been used against this target for fear of releasing the gas.

sas soldiersNILS JORGENSEN/REX
SAS have trained for chemical missions for decades

It would not be the first time ISIS has used chemical weapons.

In June spores of chlorine gas were identified by chemical warfare teams after missile attacks in north-eastern Syria, which left dozens of Peshmerga fighters suffering nausea, dizziness and weakness.

Last night a senior military source said: “This operation has been based on good intelligence from the Kurds and it is important that we remove it.

ISIS bombing syriaGETTY
ISIS have destroyed the homes of thousands in Syria

“Chlorine is a horrible gas. If used in a concentrated form it kills, leaving the victim to face a terrible choking death. Used in bulk it could kill hundreds in one attack, sending a message of fear and anxiety among civilians in the region.

We believe ISIS have other chemical weapons which they stole from Assad’s forces when they captured military bases across Syria

A military source

“We believe ISIS have other chemical weapons which they stole from Assad’s forces when they captured military bases across Syria.

“These will be much harder to destroy because you cannot bomb them. Explosives simply spread the chemical spores.

“The only way to kill chemical agents is to burn them, ideally with napalm. We are dealing with the chlorine first.”

http://report24uk.info/article/317919/sas-in-race-to-destroy-isis-poison-gas-plant-that-could-slaughter-thousands
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Godzilla

Re: SAS in race to destroy ISIS poison gas plant that could slaughter THOUSANDS
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 03:15:15 pm »
Chlorine gas is a standard industrial chemical.  ISIS probably captured an industrial chemical production facility with it's stockpile intact.

I'd highly doubt that this is a brand spankin' new facility dedicated to making poison gas.

(More like looting the remains of industrial society.)

It's still needs to be destroyed to stop ISIS from looting it for use.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 03:32:10 pm »
It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that it is a home grown production facility - chlorine, mustard gas and sarin are all simple enough to make and warheads to hold them are not much more difficult. All you need are people with industrial chemistry and engineering experience - both plentiful in an oil producing country!

Godzilla

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 03:36:40 pm »
It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that it is a home grown production facility - chlorine, mustard gas and sarin are all simple enough to make and warheads to hold them are not much more difficult. All you need are people with industrial chemistry and engineering experience - both plentiful in an oil producing country!

True, but those chemicals are highly corrosive.  The seals on the equipment making it will blow very quickly.  And ISIS doesn't make the production equipment.  Hence the need to destroy this facility so ISIS can't scavenge from it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 03:43:20 pm »
Oh - I totally agree! The facility must go, regardless.

I was just thinking, if it's something they cobbled together themselves, destroying the facility is of secondary importance to locating and removing the ones who built it. The suggestion that it is located underground - even if it's built with looted plant, SOMEONE knows how to put the stuff together.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 03:56:43 pm »
Oh - I totally agree! The facility must go, regardless.

I was just thinking, if it's something they cobbled together themselves, destroying the facility is of secondary importance to locating and removing the ones who built it. The suggestion that it is located underground - even if it's built with looted plant, SOMEONE knows how to put the stuff together.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of people in the middle east that know how refineries and chemical plants operate, including underground storage - destroying those responsible will be an ongoing challenge if ISIS is intent on advancing chemical warfare. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 04:28:08 pm »
I'd like to see brutal, unrelenting, destructive firepower rain down on regional ISIS positions. Otherwise, I don't see this fly swatting changing the trajectory of ISIS's advance. Continuing on this pinprick track is useless.

The West has not shown the will to do what is needed to be done.

But then again look who's leading the West. Barack Hussein Obama? David Cameron? Angela Merkel? Stephen Harper? Francois Hollande? Mariano Rajoy Brey?

I'd trade them all in for one Harry S Truman.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:50:52 pm by aligncare »

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 04:43:48 pm »
Me too, would like to see major firepower rain down on anything isis.