Author Topic: Feds Developed App That Predicts ‘Psychological Status’ of Americans  (Read 533 times)

Offline flowers

http://freebeacon.com/issues/feds-developed-app-that-predicts-psychological-status-of-americans/

Researchers at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) have developed a system that can predict the “psychological status” of users with smartphones and hope to private companies to bring the invention to the market.

The technology appeared on a list of NIH inventions published in the Federal Register that are now available to be licensed by private companies. The government allows companies to license inventions resulting from federal research in order to expedite their arrival on the marketplace.

The system uses smartphones to ask people how they are doing mentally during the day and based on the results can “deliver an automated intervention” if necessary.

“The NIH inventors have developed a mobile health technology to monitor and predict a user’s psychological status and to deliver an automated intervention when needed,” according to the notice published Wednesday. “The technology uses smartphones to monitor the user’s location and ask questions about psychological status throughout the day.”

thought police, one more thing I never thought I would live to see the day, yet here it is.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Feds Developed App That Predicts ‘Psychological Status’ of Americans
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 09:08:05 pm »
http://freebeacon.com/issues/feds-developed-app-that-predicts-psychological-status-of-americans/

thought police, one more thing I never thought I would live to see the day, yet here it is.
From reading the entire article, I learned the app was developed (in part) with drug users in mind, and of hoping to intervene and prevent relapse usage.

The individual would by definition be acting voluntarily, keying in or speaking entries into his/her smartphone.

If such voluntary behavior on the part of the user, could save lives, perhaps prevent suicides, it would be a good thing.

In my 21 years, seven months and 21 days of sobriety, I have lost a few friends to suicide. If there had been other ways to intervene, to prevent their suicides, it would have been a good thing.

I see nothing at all, of invasion of privacy, but that is just me. I heard interesting remarks yesterday by Gov. Christie about drug rehabilitation, and the idea that being "pro-life" entails all of the life after birth.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Feds Developed App That Predicts ‘Psychological Status’ of Americans
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 01:14:12 am »
Problem is voluntary use becomes "on by default" with all tech designed to monitor people.

Ever tried turning off location data on a smart phone now? You can't, not without cracking the case and physically disconnecting the chip. It will tell you it's off, but it isn't.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink