Author Topic: Homeless youths given tickets for night buses by charity [UK]  (Read 208 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Homeless youths given tickets for night buses by charity [UK]
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:16:07 am »
Young homeless people are being given tickets for night buses by a charity because there is nowhere else for them to sleep.

The New Horizon Youth Centre, based in central London, told The Guardian that its staff often gave young people bus tickets and information about the best routes to take so they had somewhere reasonably safe, warm and dry to spend the night.

Shelagh O’Connor, director of the New Horizon Youth Centre, said they were only able to find emergency beds for about half the people who came to them for help.

Most of the others would sleep in a squat, on the floor of someone else’s bedroom, share a hostel room or pitch a tent in a park. Staff have sleeping bags to give to homeless people.

Bus tickets are given out when there is no other option with Ms O’Connor saying “they are safer riding buses than on the streets ”.

“We tell them which routes to choose, so that they will be travelling around all night. They come back in the morning and have some cereal and a shower,” she said.

Ms O’Connor said that in 2010 the centre had been able to find emergency accommodation for everyone who asked for help.

“It is a dire situation. It has never been as bad as this; I am extremely worried. It is so difficult at the moment and I can’t see any new strategies being put in place that might improve the situation,” she said.

Read more: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/homeless-youths-given-tickets-for-night-buses-by-charity-10516207.html

**nononono*
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink