Author Topic: New York City Closes Public Schools In Observance Of Muslim Holiday  (Read 1197 times)

rangerrebew

New York City Closes Public Schools In Observance Of Muslim Holiday

Posted By Kerry Picket On 6:55 PM 09/24/2015 In | No Comments

Tweet

New York City public schools were closed Thursday in observance of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha. According to New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office, this was the first time the New York City School system closed schools for a Muslim holiday. The schools were also closed on Wednesday for the Jewish Yom Kippur holiday.

De Blasio and Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña previously announced that New York City would become the largest school district in the nation to recognize two Muslim holidays, Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, on the official school calendar.

The mayor and the Schools Chancellor made this announcement at PS/IS 30 in Brooklyn, where 36 percent of students were absent the last time Eid al-Adha fell on an instructional day.

The New York City schools serve 1.1 million students and join other school districts in states like Vermont, Massachusetts and New Jersey that close their public schools in observance of Muslim holidays.

Muslim students represent nearly 10 percent of the overall public school enrollment, the mayor’s office says.

“We made a pledge to families that we would change our school calendar to reflect the strength and diversity of our city. Hundreds of thousands of Muslim families will no longer have to choose between honoring the most sacred days on their calendar or attending school. This is a common sense change, and one that recognizes our growing Muslim community and honors its contributions to our City,” said de Blasio.

“We are committed to having a school calendar that reflects and honors the extraordinary diversity of our students,” Fariña said. “Muslim students and their families who observe Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha shouldn’t have to choose between an instructional day and their religious obligations. This new addition will also enable a teachable moment in the classroom for our students to learn about religious tolerance and the societal contributions of various cultures.”

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/24/new-york-city-closes-public-schools-in-observance-of-muslim-holiday/

Posted By Kerry Picket On 6:55 PM 09/24/2015 In | No Comments

New York City public schools were closed Thursday in observance of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha. According to New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office, this was the first time the New York City School system closed schools for a Muslim holiday. The schools were also closed on Wednesday for the Jewish Yom Kippur holiday.

De Blasio and Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña previously announced that New York City would become the largest school district in the nation to recognize two Muslim holidays, Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, on the official school calendar.

The mayor and the Schools Chancellor made this announcement at PS/IS 30 in Brooklyn, where 36 percent of students were absent the last time Eid al-Adha fell on an instructional day.

The New York City schools serve 1.1 million students and join other school districts in states like Vermont, Massachusetts and New Jersey that close their public schools in observance of Muslim holidays.

Muslim students represent nearly 10 percent of the overall public school enrollment, the mayor’s office says.

“We made a pledge to families that we would change our school calendar to reflect the strength and diversity of our city. Hundreds of thousands of Muslim families will no longer have to choose between honoring the most sacred days on their calendar or attending school. This is a common sense change, and one that recognizes our growing Muslim community and honors its contributions to our City,” said de Blasio.

“We are committed to having a school calendar that reflects and honors the extraordinary diversity of our students,” Fariña said. “Muslim students and their families who observe Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha shouldn’t have to choose between an instructional day and their religious obligations. This new addition will also enable a teachable moment in the classroom for our students to learn about religious tolerance and the societal contributions of various cultures.”

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/24/new-york-city-closes-public-schools-in-observance-of-muslim-holiday/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:28:40 am by rangerrebew »

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: New York City Closes Public Schools In Observance Of Muslim Holiday
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 12:53:58 pm »
NYC schools should be closed each year on September 11th instead.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 03:21:47 pm »
Who's winning?

Who won?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 03:30:09 pm »
God forbid though we'd shut down for or even mention the word Christmas. We have to call it Winter Solstice Holiday Break or something. Do they shut down for Hanukah?
The Republic is lost.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 04:24:02 pm »
What do the taxpayers of New York think.

Because their opinion is the only one that counts in this case.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 04:36:10 pm »
Who's winning?

Who won?

It only took one big attack for NY to surrender.  Well, that and a terminal case of political correctness
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 04:42:25 pm »

There are many wonderful regular Muslims, good people, no question. I treat them in my practice.

The problem however is that Islam is the only religious group --Hindus notwithstanding-- with significant numbers sworn by their faith to destroy infidels. Millions upon millions of them.

How can we tell the difference? How can we trust them under these conditions?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 04:56:27 pm »
There are many wonderful regular Muslims, good people, no question. I treat them in my practice.

The problem however is that Islam is the only religious group --Hindus notwithstanding-- with significant numbers sworn by their faith to destroy infidels. Millions upon millions of them.

How can we tell the difference? How can we trust them under these conditions?

Same way you always do. One person at a time.

The alternative is living in constant fear - and that is completely unacceptable.

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 04:59:44 pm »
Caliphate.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 05:10:05 pm »
Same way you always do. One person at a time.

The alternative is living in constant fear - and that is completely unacceptable.

EC, I stood on that position my entire adult life. Until Barack Hussein Obama came to power. And then, "coincidentally," as Barack "Hussein" Obama looked the other way, and without so much as the slightest serious response from American military, ISIS began their reign of terror in the Middle East.

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?
Ronald Reagan

Don't be afraid to see what you see.
Ronald Reagan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 05:20:22 pm »
A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?
Ronald Reagan

All of them, because each and every one of them is unique.

Don't be afraid to see what you see.
Ronald Reagan

So you look at the people you know. The ones you treat. What do you see?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 05:40:18 pm »
All of them, because each and every one of them is unique.

So you look at the people you know. The ones you treat. What do you see?

Wonderful people, fine Americans.

But since 9-11 -- 14-years, I still see beefed-up police presence surrounding synagogues during Jewish holy days in the mixed, though predominantly Jewish, neighborhood in Forest Hills, Queens, where my office is located. And here we have Jews entering their house of worship still passing through metal detectors and being wanded. Imagine Christians, going to church under those conditions for the last 14 years.

New York City's anti-terrorism task force is the best in the world and it is credited with stopping many terrorist threats. Maybe it's just an over-abundance of caution, but maybe they know something. I opt for the latter.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:48:53 pm by aligncare »

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 09:01:54 pm »

Democrats/liberals don't seem to have any problem with it. :thud:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 11:01:39 pm »
Democrats/liberals don't seem to have any problem with it. :thud:

That's why we are not they.  :laugh:

Godzilla

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 11:20:07 pm »

Yep.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 11:36:00 pm »

New York City is a Democrat machine town. There is no conservative opposition possible in New York City.

Taxpayers have virtually 0 influence on Randi Weingarten's UFT (United Federation of Teachers) control over the school system. Don't forget we have a communist mayor who wouldn't stand up to the UFT if his life depended on it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 11:53:28 pm »

I have to clarify here. Randi Weingarten founded the UFT but no longer heads it. She us currently president of the AFT (American Federation of Teachers).

Comrade Mayor DiBlasio green lighted the addition of said Muslim holidays. Tax payers had no say whatsoever.

Godzilla

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 11:56:00 pm »
I have to clarify here. Randi Weingarten founded the UFT but no longer heads it. She us currently president of the AFT (American Federation of Teachers).

Comrade Mayor DiBlasio green lighted the addition of said Muslim holidays. Tax payers had no say whatsoever.

New York voters voted for DiBlasio.  That is their say.  He represents them.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 04:11:58 am »
EC wrote (responding to aligncare's question about how to tell the "good" muslims from the bad ones):
[[ Same way you always do. One person at a time.
The alternative is living in constant fear - and that is completely unacceptable. ]]

No.

That can't work because, whether we "live in fear" or not, the muslim threat will continue to grow as their numbers among us increase.

The ONLY possible solution to protect The West against islam is to remove all muslims from dar al-harb, and return them to dar al-islam.

EC, I'm addressing this specifically to YOU. Do you understand those two terms?
Do you know what they mean, what they imply?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 08:36:41 am »
I am well aware of the meaning of the terms, considering that for the last 14 years their dar al Islam has been my particular dar al Harb to weed. I've lived there for very extended periods - and I'm not talking Green zone, in secured accommodation with guides and interpreters. That's all I may say on that particular matter.

You know what - they are people. Stubborn, fatalistic (that's not just an Islam thing, it's a Levant thing - all of them are no matter what religion) and mostly wanting to be left alone. Friendly when they get to know you, hospitable, a little bit conservative (well, OK, a lot. "It is not custom" is one of the most infuriating phrases in ANY language!), quick to laugh, quick tempered, and quick to forget their anger -  I like these people.

I am no more afraid of them than I am of you. I am, however, furious FOR them. That makes removing the scum that prey on them slightly more satisfying.