Author Topic: Pope claims he isn't 'leftish'  (Read 853 times)

rangerrebew

Pope claims he isn't 'leftish'
« on: September 23, 2015, 03:27:28 pm »
September 23, 2015
Pope claims he isn't 'leftish'
By Rick Moran

Pope Francis told journalists before he landed in America on Monday that people are mistaken if they think he's a liberal.

The Hill:

Some people might say some things sounded slightly more left-ish, but that would be a mistake of interpretation,” Francis said aboard his flight from Cuba to Joint Base Andrews in Maryland.

“It is I who follows the church ... my doctrine on all this ... on economic imperialism, is that of the social doctrine of the church," Francis added,according to Time.

Francis arrived to cheers and chants welcoming him to the U.S. when he landed outside Washington, D.C., where he will address a joint meeting of Congress on Thursday, with speculation running rampant about what he might discuss.

The pope shook hands with President Obama, the first lady and their daughters, as well as the vice president and his wife after he landed.

The first pope from Latin America has publicly supported issues including preventing climate change, income inequality and ending the U.S. embargo with Cuba, a goal of the Obama administration.

But conservatives are also looking forward to what he may say on social issues such as abortion during his visit to the U.S., at a time when the topic has risen to the fore in a debate over public funding for Planned Parenthood.

Francis said aboard the flight Tuesday that he plans to speak in general terms about "bilateral relations and multinational relations as a sign of progress."

The pope is correct – up to a point. Every modern pope has condemned the "excesses" of capitalism to varying degrees.  But this has nothing to do with ideology.  Rather, the pope's vision is informed by Church doctrine and traditional Catholic beliefs.  Each man in turn who has worn the shoes of the fisherman advocates for the poorest, the most helpless among us.  In the case of Francis, his views are also shaped by his own experiences.  The crony capitalism practiced in most of Latin America is obscene when it comes to a few powerful families controlling the entire economy.  The pope knows no other economic system, and seeing the poor of Argentina being forced to live in cardboard boxes on garbage dumps has informed his views on what he thinks is capitalism.

John Paul II also railed against what he called capitalism's "inhumanity."  He issued an encyclical in 1991 condemning both capitalism and communism and called for reform of both.  Francis has used his critique of capitalism to focus attention on the plight of the poor – which is well within his mandate as the spiritual leader of a billion Catholics.

Liberals who believe the pope is too conservative because he opposes abortion and gay marriage also miss the point.  The pope stands up for the dignity of humans and the sanctity of life not because he's a right-winger, but because that has been doctrine for 2,000 years.

Both right and left would do well to listen to what Francis has to say without seeing him through an ideological prism.  Better to connect his words to the teachings of his church, which is in keeping with the ancient traditions going back to St. Peter.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/09/pope_claims_he_isnt_leftish.html#ixzz3mZlezDwT
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

rangerrebew

Re: Pope claims he isn't 'leftish'
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:29:52 pm »

“It is I who follows the church ... my doctrine on all this ... on economic imperialism, is that of the social doctrine of the church,"

I'm certainly no expert on the Bible but I don't believe ECONOMIC IMPERIALISM can be found there.  Perhaps in the writing of Marx, Lenin, or Mao but not the Bible. :nono:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 03:54:26 pm »
Walk like - quack like - look like - yep, it's a duck.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 03:59:18 pm »

I slept on the ground overnight to see Pope John Paul II back in the Fall of 1979.

We thought we could stake out the size of our blanket(s) and get a good place by sleeping over.  HA!!  We ended up being squeezed shoulder to shoulder. 

My soon to be wife and her sister.  They  were raised in the Church of Christ.  And they held negative views on Catholicism. But, when I said I wanted to see Pope John Paul, they offered to 'sleep' with me on the Washington Mall.   :laugh:

I wouldn't walk across the street to see Pope Francis.  Not for a hundred bucks.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 05:49:06 pm »
I thought you would have went being so close...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 07:17:17 pm »
I thought you would have went being so close...

Nope.  Respect and love the Church.  My Sicilian grandmother is responsible.  Grew up with a picture of Pope Pius XII in my bedroom.

Even today, thinking of John Paul II brings tears to my eyes.

This one is doing to the Holy Church what Obama has done to the USA.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 07:43:02 pm »
Nope.  Respect and love the Church.  My Sicilian grandmother is responsible.  Grew up with a picture of Pope Pius XII in my bedroom.

Even today, thinking of John Paul II brings tears to my eyes.

This one is doing to the Holy Church what Obama has done to the USA.

Yep..cannot argue with any of that....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline raml

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 07:48:42 pm »
I agree with DCPatriot. There was a time I had respect for Popes but will not ever for this one he is so wrong and even blasphemes when he says you don't need to know God to get to heaven we need to not only know God but his son Jesus Christ in order to receive salvation and that runs throughout the bible. This man is not a Christian leader although in the past some popes have been and had my respect. I went to a Catholic school for 12 yrs and was Catholic till getting a divorce. I even volunteered for the priests office at our church and really respected my priests till they left due to the church not allowing priests to marry they were thrown out of the church when they both married after resigning the priesthood. Then when I was going through a terrible divorce where my husband physically and emotionally abused me I found out the priest had told my husband that he shouldn't join the church yet( he was thinking about becoming a catholic he was a Lutheran) but after we were divorced if he joined his marriage would be like it never happened. We has been married for 22 years and had 4 kids the abuse hadn't started till after 20 yrs had gone by. This made me really angry and I never went back and have since joined a non denominational church and am much happier as a Christian because of it. Anyone who believes a thing this pope says is in serious trouble.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 08:22:54 pm »
The contrast between John Paul II and Francis is stunning, isn't it?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 01:59:36 am »
[/quote

The Roman Catholic religion has lost it's way much that same way that the GOPe has lost it's conservatism..IMHO, all in the name of political correctness.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 02:49:26 am »
"Stupid is as stupid does"
(Forrest Gump's mother said that)

"Leftish is as leftish does."
(Fishrrman said that)

Both statements apply equally well to the current Vicar of Christ...

Offline evadR

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 04:39:57 am »
[/quote

The Roman Catholic religion has lost it's way much that same way that the GOPe has lost it's conservatism..IMHO, all in the name of political correctness.
The only question is how many lemmings will he take over the cliff with him?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.