Author Topic: GOP Looks to Pope for Help on Abortion Agenda  (Read 731 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Looks to Pope for Help on Abortion Agenda
« on: September 21, 2015, 05:33:10 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/GOP-Pope-Pope-Francis-ban/2015/09/21/id/692546/

Monday, 21 Sep 2015 10:53 AM

Republicans are hoping to use Pope Francis' historic visit to the United States to help bolster their push to ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, Politico reports.

Lawmakers want the pontiff — who will address them on Capitol Hill this week — to lay down the law on the strict Catholic ideology against abortion.

"The message to the Pope is … there are only seven countries in the world that allow abortion this late, at five months. And I'd like us to not be one of them." Sen. James Lankford, an Oklahoma Republican, told Politico.

Sen. Thom Tillis, a North Carolina Republican, added: "It will at least increase awareness/ I think the one thing you find with this particular policy, it tends to be more broadly supported than any other issues around the pro-life agenda that I support."

Despite GOP support for the 20-week law, the House has struggled, so far unsuccessfully to get the bill over to the Senate. Lawmakers hope a word or two about abortion will help get the legislation moving.

Politico says the GOP hopes a vote on the 2-week limit, "as well as standalone measures on defunding Planned Parenthood and targeted investigations into the group, will relieve the escalating pressure from conservatives to use must-pass government funding to strip federal money from the women's health group."

The Vatican is not previewing what the pontiff will say to Congress, but he is expected to address abortion, climate change, income inequality, U.S. relations with Cuba and the Iran deal, The Hill reports.

At least one lawmaker, Rep. Paul Gosar, an Arizona Republican, is boycotting the pontiff's speech, saying Francis acts and talks "like a leftist politician" on issues like climate change.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: GOP Looks to Pope for Help on Abortion Agenda
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 05:44:44 pm »
The Pope, indeed, is a political leftist, but if he can convince any of his political allies here in the US that we shouldn't be murdering babies, dissecting them while they are still alive and selling their organs and brains, then good for him.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 05:50:05 pm »
The Pope, indeed, is a political leftist, but if he can convince any of his political allies here in the US that we shouldn't be murdering babies, dissecting them while they are still alive and selling their organs and brains, then good for him.

I doubt he'll spend much time talking about abortion. He will most likely concentrate on climate change and what he believes is wrong with capitalism.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 06:11:09 pm »
LOL!  The Pope is much more of a Marxist than a Christian.   He will spend few if any words on abortion and instead give a lecture (or diatribe) on liberation theology while practically embracing homosexuality.  He is a Jesuit, after all.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 06:17:23 pm »
If Planned Parenthood effects Climate Change, they might get mentioned.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 07:21:24 pm »
Nor gonna happen. The fix is in. He will speak about climate change and anti-capitalism.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »
I just wish I had the stuff to do Franny in shades, a la Lando!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Godzilla

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 12:04:00 am »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 12:06:05 am »
Good luck with that, considering:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,180936.0.html

What's Brian Kilmeade got to do with anything?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 01:36:23 am »

Amen, sister, though I fear he will be more devoted to turning us into an economic powerhouse like Argentina or even Venezuela.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.