Author Topic: Muslim boy's 'cool clock' is a fraud, says expert. 'If you thought this kid made an invention, you've been fooled'  (Read 1455 times)

rangerrebew

Muslim boy's 'cool clock' is a fraud, says expert
'If you thought this kid made an invention, you've been fooled'
Published: 17 hours ago

image: http://www.wnd.com/files/2015/09/CLOCK.png
CLOCK

The most famous clock in America is a “fraud,” according to an electronics expert who says 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed did not invent anything and simply took a commercial clock out of its manufactured case.

In recent days, the story went viral of Mohamed being handcuffed and arrested after his clock was mistaken for a possible bomb. Police defended their actions, and school officials upheld Mohamed’s suspension.

Critics of those actions suggest Mohamed was treated unfairly because of bigotry toward Muslims. President Obama even reacted to the story on Twitter.

“Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It’s what makes America great,” tweeted Obama.

image: http://www.wnd.com/files/2015/09/Obama-tweet-clock.jpg
Obama-tweet-clock

Mohamed also received invitations to meet Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and go to NASA and MIT.

Twitter has offered him an internship. TV hosts Stephen Colbert and Ellen DenGeneres have called him.

But is the whole invention a sham?

In a YouTube video that received hundreds of thousands of views in just the first 24 hours, electrical expert Thomas Talbot dissects a photo of Mohamed’s clock.

"This child, nothing against him personally, never built a clock," said Talbot in the video that runs less than four minutes. "He did not invent a clock or build it, and I'm going to show you why."

Talbot says an expert view of Mohamed's clock makes it very clear what the Texas high-school student did.

"What this is is a commercial alarm clock, as you would purchase in any department store and use at your bedside," Talbot explained. "All he did was remove the plastic case from the alarm clock. This is not an invention. This is not something that someone built or even assembled."

He then lists several reasons for his conclusion.

"If someone had really made a clock, this circuitry would not look like this. First of all, this transformer is for a 120 volt line. People who do 'maker' things do not tend to use AC power because it's a bit more dangerous and there's no reason to do it. You can use batteries," Talbot said.

What do YOU think? Sound off on the saga of Ahmed the teenage Muslim clockmaker now in the WND poll!

Next, he spots something fishy with the circuit boards.

"These are manufactured, printed circuit boards, with printed circuit board circuits with a micro-controller in the middle," Talbot said. "Those manufactured boards are used in manufactured products or professional engineer sample runs."

Get the hottest, most important news stories on the Internet – delivered FREE to your inbox as soon as they break! Take just 30 seconds and sign up for WND's Email News Alerts!

He found even more alleged red flags.

"The ribbon cables in between these are also indicative of a manufactured product. As a matter of fact, commercial clocks tend to have 9-volt battery backup and this even has the 9-volt battery backup," he said, adding: "This was put in here to look like a device – with these cables and cords – this was put in here to look like a device that would be suspicious and, I think, intentionally so."

He continued, "I see no evidence that this is any creation whatsoever or that there was any modification or even assembly of anything, to have made things out of a kit for example. This is simply taking a clock out of its case."

Talbot then shows a picture of crude clock he created and later improved upon to show the difference between inventors' and commercial products.

"It's on a protoboard, where you can attach wires to a micro-controller," he said. "Something like this is much more likely to be something you would see if someone had actually made anything."

He is quick to point out young kids are capable of great inventions. But this just isn't one of them.

"I've worked with kids in contests who have actually built things. I've seen 12-year-olds and 14-year-olds make amazing things on their own," he said. "Unfortunately, whether it fits your narrative or whatever you want to believe or not, this particular child down in Texas did not make anything. He did not make a clock. He simply took something out of the casing."

"People should not recognize this as an invention and recognize this child as an inventor for this particular creation when plenty of other kids have invented things," added Talbot.

"So if you thought this kid made an invention, you've been fooled," he concluded.
Click here for reuse options!

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/09/muslim-boys-cool-clock-is-a-fraud-says-expert/#eBQOcw99M24KsXAk.99

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/21/nerds-rage-over-ahmed-s-clock.html?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

JUST STOP09.21.151:21 AM ET
Nerds Rage Over Ahmed Mohamed's Clock
Last week, Ahmed Mohamed’s homemade clock got him arrested and then invited to the White House. This week, the conspiracy theory backlash against his ‘invention’ begins.

The Muslim teen who became an overnight celebrity after Texas cops mistook his homemade clock for a bomb has received a White House invitation, shoutouts from Facebook, MIT, and NASA, and more than $15,000 for an academic scholarship.

But some engineers say something’s fishy about the high-schooler’s invention, and the Internet has been lit aflame by claims of conspiracy. The fact that a teenager was put in handcuffs over his clock appears to be less of a concern to some people than the apparently shoddy engineering of the "invention" in question.

Electronics experts who examined photos of 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed’s creation called it a fraud loudly enough to grab the attention of famed atheist and biologist Richard Dawkins, who on Sunday tweeted: “We were all fooled.”

Dawkins went as far as suggesting the ninth-grader had a “motive” for his arrest over the digital clock, which was inside a black pencil case and tied shut with a cable. “If this is true, what was his motive?” Dawkins wrote. “Whether or not he wanted the police to arrest him, they shouldn’t have done so.”

On Sept. 14, police in Irving, Texas, handcuffed Mohamed, took him to a juvenile detention center and charged him with having a hoax bomb. His family says cops denied the teen's repeated requests to speak to his parents. Two days later, amid a public furor, the charges were dropped.

Anthony DiPasquale, the webmaster for Artvoice.com, exposed the circuitry behind Mohamed’s clock. In an interview with The Daily Beast, he said, “My initial reaction was probably pretty similar to everyone else’s: ‘Wow, I feel really sorry for the kid’... The nerd in me wanted to know specifically what he did—what technology or methods he might’ve used.”

But the self-styled electronics geek says that Mohamed’s homemade gadget is actually a factory-produced clock. “Somewhere in all of this—there has indeed been a hoax,” he wrote in a controversial post on Artvoice. “Ahmed Mohamed didn’t invent his own alarm clock. He didn’t even build a clock.”

DiPasquale said all signs point to a mass-produced model. He traced the 1980s-era circuit board, which has a silk-screened “M” logo, to a vintage Micronta clock found on eBay. He noted other “dead giveaways” of a store-bought clock, including a switch to select 12- or 24-hour time and a battery backup.

“Anyone with even a basic hobby-level understanding could see it was a commercially available mass-produced product that was just taken out of its enclosure, and placed in a pencil box,” DiPasquale told The Daily Beast. “So I read some more about the story, and nowhere did I see anybody actually bring that point up.”

“Here we have a social media frenzy going on, with everybody to the president of the United States giving him a pat on the back, and I started thinking less about the clock, and more about us, as a society,” he added.

The public outcry over Mohamed’s arrest was also, presumably, less about the clock and more about what it says about us, as a society, that such a thing would happen.

DiPasquale questioned if other aspects of the teenager’s story about the clock aren’t being fully reported or fact-checked by reporters. In one interview, for example, Mohamed says he closed the pencil case with a cord so it wouldn’t look suspicious in school.

“I’m curious, why would ‘looking suspicious’ have even crossed his mind before this whole event unfolded, if he was truly showing off a hobby project, something so innocuous as an alarm clock. Why did he choose a pencil box, one that looks like a miniature briefcase no less, as an enclosure for a clock?” DiPasquale wrote.

continued..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
It's now been reported that Ahmed shopped teacher responses...it took until the 6th or 7th hour that a teacher was suspicious.....I think this was a set up concocted by him and especially his family...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGit-XltUB4

pay close attention to Mark Cuban's comments
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:00:36 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Relic

It's now been reported that Ahmed shopped teacher responses...it took until the 6th or 7th hour that a teacher was suspicious.....I think this was a set up concocted by him and especially his family...

Watched it. Even Chris Matthews sounded sane. Jorge Ramos proved that he is human garbage, a vile waste of a human form.

This country is absolutely insane, and there is no fighting it. The cure will come, and no one is going to like it.

Offline flowers

What did Cuban say? I don't have bandwidth to watch.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What did Cuban say? I don't have bandwidth to watch.

basically what I said in my post..
Support the USO

Offline flowers

Briefcase Clock Maker Ahmed Mohamed Is Son of Muslim Activist – UPDATE: Kid admits forethought – knew it was going to be “suspicious”….

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/09/18/briefcase-clock-maker-ahmed-mohamed-is-son-of-muslim-activist/