Author Topic: Elon Musk is planning To Launch 4,000 Satellites That Will Provide Internet From Space to all remote corners of the world  (Read 509 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.futurologyloaded.com/2015/09/elon-musk-is-planning-to-launch-4000.html

Elon Musk is currently seeking government approval to begin testing on a project to broadcast the Internet from 4,000 satellites orbiting the Earth. He claims he wants to beam high-speed Internet to all corners of the world. The plan would transform SpaceX from a company based solely on rockets and spaceflight into an Internet provider to rival the likes of Comcast, Verizon, and other telecom companies in a worldwide market thought to be worth over $ 2.1 trillion annually. Musk's plan is to send his Falcon 9 rocket up into space, and then deploy a fleet of satellites around the planet. He announced his plan earlier in the year, but it has just been released that SpaceX has made a formal request for permission from the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to begin testing next year.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Good idea, but if it goes ahead Facebook and Google are suddenly going to be bush league stuff.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
That's one launch per day for the next 11 years. Not to mention there are only a bit over 1000 working satellites in space now and it's already fairly crowded. Seems like a big-ego pipe dream.

The only other question is if he does pull it off, when does Skynet officially become self aware?
The Republic is lost.