Author Topic: Jeb Bush: Solid in Theory, Uninspiring in Practice... By Charles C. W. Cooke  (Read 241 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/424215/print

Jeb Bush: Solid in Theory, Uninspiring in Practice
By Charles C. W. Cooke — September 17, 2015

Since George W. Bush’s name ceased to be an electoral asset for the Right, conservatives have wondered aloud whether the Republican party would have been better off had Jeb been in a position to win the nomination in 2000. George W., this theory goes, was the inferior brother: less wonky, a worse speaker, a squish on some crucial matters, and possessed of a faux-cowboy mien that has tainted the Republican brand. Perhaps if Jeb had been president, things would have worked out differently? Perhaps, then, we would never have been saddled with Obama?

At times, I must confess, I have wondered this myself. But, watching last night’s debate, I couldn’t help but think that the idea is bunk. Although I have never been much impressed by the prospect of another Bush presidency, the theory behind Jeb as the nominee is a solid one. All told, he is a smart, knowledgeable, and calm man who ran a crucial state extremely well for eight long years. Moreover, he is well-connected and smartly advised, and his campaign structure comes pre-assembled. He is, the conventional wisdom goes, a serious man — the adult in a room that is often full of children. Standing next to a meandering buffoon such as Donald Trump, he should exude poise and self-control, and exhibit an understanding of how to fight smart — sometimes engaging, sometimes falling back, always keeping his hand on the tiller. In a field full of newbies and dilettantes, he should be uniquely familiar with the pitfalls and cognizant of the opportunities.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34