Author Topic: Maybe Americans just don't agree w Rep Establishment on Donald Trump  (Read 932 times)

Offline Politics4us

The Republican Establishment isn't against Donald Trump, because he's not a conservative. They're against him, because he's against open borders and amnesty. After all, these same pundits trashed Ted Cruz when he announced his candidacy, and have supported non-conservatives in the past. In 2008 and 2012, Americans agreed with the Republican Establishment that McCain and then Romney were our best bet at winning the two elections. Well, both of those candidates failed. Maybe they were swayed by the Establishment pundits on those two candidates, or perhaps they had the same feelings as the Establishment, but they were disappointed in both of the campaigns. They now see in Trump a candidate who they can believe in. The Establishment would never support someone with Trump's campaigning style nor his stance on immigration etc. On the other hand, the American people are not locked in with the Establishment and see a candidate who is finally voicing their opinions on the immigration issue along with a tough style that GWB, McCain, and Romney lacked. Fox New, the Wall St. Journal, Red State, and National Review can write all of the columns they want trashing Trump and his supporters, but it's not going to work like it did in 2008 and 2012. We know they're only interested in the Establishment holding onto power, and not electing conservatives.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Maybe Americans just don't agree w Rep Establishment on Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 02:08:28 am »
The "American people" are not supporting Trump. He would lose his ass in a general campaign.

You love Trump, but we would see a Goldwater-like massacre if he is the GOP nominee.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 02:25:56 am »
The Republican Establishment isn't against Donald Trump, because he's not a conservative. They're against him, because he's against open borders and amnesty. After all, these same pundits trashed Ted Cruz when he announced his candidacy, and have supported non-conservatives in the past. In 2008 and 2012, Americans agreed with the Republican Establishment that McCain and then Romney were our best bet at winning the two elections. Well, both of those candidates failed. Maybe they were swayed by the Establishment pundits on those two candidates, or perhaps they had the same feelings as the Establishment, but they were disappointed in both of the campaigns. They now see in Trump a candidate who they can believe in. The Establishment would never support someone with Trump's campaigning style nor his stance on immigration etc. On the other hand, the American people are not locked in with the Establishment and see a candidate who is finally voicing their opinions on the immigration issue along with a tough style that GWB, McCain, and Romney lacked. Fox New, the Wall St. Journal, Red State, and National Review can write all of the columns they want trashing Trump and his supporters, but it's not going to work like it did in 2008 and 2012. We know they're only interested in the Establishment holding onto power, and not electing conservatives.

You are EXACTLY right  as to the reasons the establishment is after Trump and you can bet your bottom dollar that once he is disposed of Ted Cruz will be next on their hit list!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 02:49:17 am »
Gawd.  Donald Trump is, at best, what is known in NY as a "Rockefeller Republican" which is, basically, a liberal who is too embarrassed to be seen out at protest marches with the great unwashed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:50:08 am by Oceander »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 02:54:27 am »
Gawd.  Donald Trump is, at best, what is known in NY as a "Rockefeller Republican" which is, basically, a liberal who is too embarrassed to be seen out at protest marches with the great unwashed.

I agree with that to but the truth is the truth as to WHY the establishment acts as they do!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:56:42 am »
I agree with that to but the truth is the truth as to WHY the establishment acts as they do!

So people don't like the moderate Republicans so they're going to go with a liberal who's just too embarrassed to be seen in the streets with the hippies and the pierced wierdos from Occupy?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 02:58:32 am »

So people don't like the moderate Republicans so they're going to go with a liberal who's just too embarrassed to be seen in the streets with the hippies and the pierced wierdos from Occupy?

I'm not and have said so repeatedly.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 03:00:21 am »

People have been trained to expect their politicians to act and talk a certain way. Trump doesn't. I haven't heard yet but I'm pretty sure they think he's white trash.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 03:00:58 am »
I'm not and have said so repeatedly.

For that I'm glad.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 03:07:42 am »
People have been trained to expect their politicians to act and talk a certain way. Trump doesn't. I haven't heard yet but I'm pretty sure they think he's white trash.

They don't think he's white trash at all IMHO! They admire him in many ways but he's NOT presidential material! I personally think he is every bit as big a narcissist as Barack Obama.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Godzilla

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 03:18:54 am »
Every poll has surveyed Republicans and Republican-leaners.

Not the general public at large.

And the best Trump gets of that subset of the US population is roughly 25-30%.  For easy math, I'm going to round that to 1/3rd.

Now, 1/3rd of the US voting population is registered as Republican.

So, 1/3rd of 1/3rd of the voting population... is about 11% of the general voting population.

---

"Maybe Americans just don't agree w Rep Establishment on Donald Trump"? 

Only if 11% is the majority.  Which can be true... in Bizarro World.

Offline evadR

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 03:25:09 am »
But once he's nominated, he'll get 3/3 of the pubbie voters, and probably 2/3 of the squishy middle and possibly 1/5 of the dems.
I think that adds up to a win.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Godzilla

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 04:10:16 pm »
But once he's nominated, he'll get 3/3 of the pubbie voters, and probably 2/3 of the squishy middle and possibly 1/5 of the dems.
I think that adds up to a win.

Or not.

Offline evadR

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 04:00:11 pm »
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.