Author Topic: Terror threat at its highest for 40 years, warns MI5 boss  (Read 248 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Terror threat at its highest for 40 years, warns MI5 boss
« on: September 17, 2015, 06:02:14 pm »

The level of terrorist plotting against Britain is at its highest for nearly four decades, the head of MI5 has warned.

Andrew Parker said police and security services had foiled six terrorist plots over the past 12 months and the threat was "growing".

He back new powers to monitor communications and said new technologies and the internet were posing new challenges to his agency and its ability to counter threats.

That is the highest number I can recall in my 32-year career, certainly the highest number since 9/11.

It represents a threat which is continuing to grow, largely because of the situation in Syria and how that affects our security.

– Mr Parker told Radio 4s Today programme

The MI5 chief - giving the first live broadcast interview by any head of the security services - said the agency was focused on monitoring "where terrorists may be and how they are moving".

Mr Parker also played down fears about extremists entering Europe among the stream of refugees from Syria, saying that was not a main focus efforts to protect the UK.

Mr Parker said the "shape" of the threat was changing dramatically.

They are using secure apps and internet communication to try to broadcast their message and incite and direct terrorism amongst people who live here who are prepared to listen to their message.

– Andrew Parker

He added MI5 was not interested in "browsing through the private lives" of the general public and it should work within a "transparent" legal framework.

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-09-17/threat-of-terror-at-its-highest-for-40-years-warns-mi5-boss/

Snoopers charter is due back up in Parliament, I guess.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink