Author Topic: How the Republican race has become a total circus, explained in 1 picture  (Read 695 times)

bkepley

Chris Cillizza
WP

After delivering a 13-minute "foreign policy" speech in which he touched only briefly on anything approaching foreign policy, Donald Trump began to throw his signature — and highly sought after — "Make America Great Again" hats into the California crowd.

"This is the hottest thing out there" Trump says, as he tosses "Make America Great Again" hats to the crowd

— Katie Zezima (@katiezez) September 16, 2015

Welcome to the 2016 Republican presidential primary race!

Trump has turned the whole process into a giant circus/game show/reality TV program. His speeches are heavy on bombast and lighter-than-air on policy specifics. He uses his Twitter feed and Instagram account to taunt his Republican rivals for being "low-energy" (Jeb Bush) or an "okay doctor" (Ben Carson). He says things — about John McCain, about Megyn Kelly, about menstruation, about Carly Fiorina's looks — that would doom other candidates but seem to have no negative effect on his candidacy.

In short, Trump does Trump. And, man, is it an entertaining show. Hell, he gives away free hats!

Meanwhile, the other 14 men and one woman running for the Republican presidential nomination function, effectively, as audience members at The Donald Trump Show. They can't (or won't) say or do the things Trump will and, therefore, always wind up on the short end of feuds with The Donald. Bush can spend all day attacking Trump's Republican bona fides, but it doesn't work nearly as effectively as when Trump calls the former Florida governor (essentially) boring.

That reality may change at some point — maybe soon. But, at the moment, every other candidate in this race is just a pawn in the Donald Trump game. Maybe they'll get lucky and get a hat!

More here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/09/16/the-state-of-the-republican-race-in-1-picture/

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: How the Republican race has become a total circus, explained in 1 picture
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:58:47 pm »
Meanwhile, the other 14 men and one woman running for the Republican presidential nomination function, effectively, as audience members at The Donald Trump Show. They can't (or won't) say or do the things Trump will and, therefore, always wind up on the short end of feuds with The Donald. Bush can spend all day attacking Trump's Republican bona fides, but it doesn't work nearly as effectively as when Trump calls the former Florida governor (essentially) boring.

That reality may change at some point — maybe soon. But, at the moment, every other candidate in this race is just a pawn in the Donald Trump game.

Pathetic.  Essentially complaining because Trump is willing to get down with the people and dirty his hands a little.  Sounds to me like Chris Cillizza and WaPo need to call a waaaaaaambulance.  This is politics, baby.  Put your big boy pants on or get the hell out.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:59:46 pm by massadvj »

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 06:04:45 pm »
Wonder if the photo was taken at one of the 20,000 attendance rallies of one of the other candidates. Oh, wait...
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 02:48:47 am »
mass wrote above:
[[ Put your big boy pants on or get the hell out. ]]

Just like little ¡Jeb Bush!, right?

I didn't bother watching the debate.
Hopefully it was good, for those of you who did.

I've become "the man without a candidate"...
(apologies to Edward Everett Hale)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 05:56:30 am »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 05:58:22 am »
Pathetic.  Essentially complaining because Trump is willing to get down with the people and dirty his hands a little.  Sounds to me like Chris Cillizza and WaPo need to call a waaaaaaambulance.  This is politics, baby.  Put your big boy pants on or get the hell out.
I hope the GOP candidates do not try to emulate Trump's dirty hands and mouth.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 10:56:35 am »
I hope the GOP candidates do not try to emulate Trump's dirty hands and mouth.

I like Trump's honesty up to a point. One can be straightforward, blunt even, without being deliberately cruel. Often Trump crosses that line. When he does I don't think it helps his cause.