Author Topic: Donald Trump’s Grand Inquisitor  (Read 319 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Donald Trump’s Grand Inquisitor
« on: September 16, 2015, 02:50:43 am »
Todd S. Purdum
Politico Magazine
September 15, 2015

Hugh Hewitt drew Trump’s ire with a smart question. On Wednesday night, the conservative talk radio host will be ready for round 2 ...

Hewitt declined for obvious reasons to detail potential debate questions. But he showed off a spreadsheet grid he’s made to keep track of each candidate’s “at-bats,” in an effort to assure that all are heard from. And his basic philosophy is simple.

“Trying to channel the Republican primary voter who is undecided—or, what’s the term, loosely attached—and what they would want to know,” he explains. “And one of those things is who’s the best positioned to win. The ‘Buckley Rule’: Who’s the most conservative up there that can win? And then, on areas where they disagree, what are those disagreements? I don’t really have an agenda, though I prefer national security and defense issues to domestic issues.”

Finally, he adds, “I’ve told them I’m utterly ego-less here. If they go off on a tangent, my assertion—and I think widely shared—is if the candidates are debating among themselves, we’re doing a good job. And the more we’re talking, the less we’re doing a good job. You gotta listen. I’ve been doing this for 25 years. If something comes up that’s emotionally riveting and satisfactory and revealing, don’t step on your story.”

What headline would he like to read on Thursday morning about his performance? “I don’t want to be in a headline,” he said. “You don’t want to remember a debate by the moderator. If you do, you’ve done something wrong.” ...
Full article

The title is a bit misleading. I've heard Hugh Hewitt interview people. He's tough but fair. More importantly, I found this article to be a good read.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Donald Trump’s Grand Inquisitor
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 03:31:29 am »

I've heard Hugh Hewitt interview people. He's tough but fair.
Agreed.