Author Topic: Trump and Sanders are Brothers From the Same Mother: America’s Discontent...Ron Fournier  (Read 190 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationaljournal.com/s/72346/trump-sanders-are-brothers-from-same-mother-americas-discontent?mref=home

Trump and Sanders are Brothers From the Same Mother: America’s Discontent

Populists on the people’s sides of the barricades, appealing to different kinds of people

September 15, 2015

Two rad­ic­ally dif­fer­ent politi­cians ap­peal­ing to rad­ic­ally dif­fer­ent seg­ments of the pop­u­la­tion, Don­ald Trump and Bernie Sanders non­ethe­less are tug­ging at a com­mon thread: a rest­less pop­u­lism born of the pub­lic’s be­lief that feck­less, in­com­pet­ent lead­er­ship has rigged polit­ics, gov­ern­ment, and oth­er so­cial in­sti­tu­tions against them.

Doug Sosnik, polit­ic­al dir­ect­or in the Clin­ton White House who co-au­thored a book about Amer­ic­an lead­er­ship with me and former Bush ad­viser Mat­thew Dowd in 2006, wrote a memo to his fel­low Demo­crat two years ago that warned of a pop­u­list move­ment. After a dec­ade of wars, eco­nom­ic tu­mult, and tech­no­lo­gic­al re­volu­tion, he wrote, “Amer­ic­ans’ long-brew­ing dis­con­tent shows clear signs of reach­ing a boil­ing point.”

“And when it hap­pens, the coun­try will judge its politi­cians through a new fil­ter—one that asks, ‘Which side of the bar­ri­cade are you on?’ Is it the side of the out-of-touch polit­ic­al class that clings to the status quo by pro­tect­ing those at the top and their own polit­ic­al agen­das, or is it the side that is fight­ing for the kind of change that will make the gov­ern­ment work for the people—all the people?”

Trump and Sanders have po­si­tioned them­selves on the people’s side of the bar­ri­cade—even as they mingle with dif­fer­ent kinds of people. Their kin­ship shined Monday, when Trump and Sanders ad­dressed massive ral­lies—the bil­lion­aire Re­pub­lic­an in Dal­las and the so­cial­ist Demo­crat in Vir­gin­ia.

Con­sider how each man ad­dressed the un­fair­ness, ar­rog­ance, and in­com­pet­ence of the Amer­ic­an polit­ic­al sys­tem.

UN­FAIR­NESS

Trump: Il­leg­al im­mig­rants don’t play by the rules you do. “It’s dis­gust­ing what’s hap­pen­ing to our coun­try,” he said, call­ing Amer­ica “a dump­ing ground” for il­leg­als. “You people are suf­fer­ing. I’m in New York, but they’re in New York, too. They’re all over the place.”

Sanders: Rich people don’t play by the rules you do. “Broth­ers and sis­ters, our job is to end that rigged eco­nomy and cre­ate an eco­nomy that works for work­ing people.”

Trump: You’re not only suf­fer­ing; you’re not heard. You’re what Richard Nix­on called the “Si­lent Ma­jor­ity.” “It’s back, and it’s not si­lent.”

Sanders: I won’t be si­lent about the plight of minor­it­ies. “I would hope and I be­lieve that every per­son in this room today un­der­stands that it is un­ac­cept­able to judge people, to dis­crim­in­ate against people based on the col­or of their skin.”

Trump: Politi­cians cater to their wealthy donors and don’t care about you. “I’m not tak­ing all this blood money,” he said, prom­ising to fin­ance his own cam­paign.

Sanders: Let me tell you about money in Amer­ica… “And while the very, very rich be­come much rich­er, mil­lions of fam­il­ies have no sav­ings at all. Noth­ing in the bank. And they worry every single day that if their car breaks down, they can­not get to work, and if they can­not get to work, they lose their jobs.”

Trump: The rich should pay their fair share of taxes. “By the time I fin­ish, he might not have much of a hedge fund left,” he said of a wealthy friend who bragged two years ago of pay­ing no taxes. “We’ve got to lower taxes for a lot of people. Cor­por­a­tions pay­ing far too much, far too much. Middle-in­come people are be­ing decim­ated. They’re be­ing decim­ated.”

AR­ROG­ANCE

Trump: Journ­al­ists, polit­ic­al pro­fes­sion­als, and oth­er pun­dits think they know bet­ter than us. “George Will is a dis­aster,” he said. “An­oth­er one, Karl Rove, he’s ter­rible. He’s still go­ing around think­ing Mitt Rom­ney won.”

Sanders: Gov­ern­ment doesn’t know bet­ter than wo­men what to do with their bod­ies. “I do un­der­stand and I do be­lieve that it is im­prop­er for the United States gov­ern­ment to tell every wo­man in this coun­try the very pain­ful and dif­fi­cult choice she has to make on that is­sue,” he said of abor­tion. “And I hon­estly, I don’t want to be too pro­voc­at­ive here, but very of­ten con­ser­vat­ives say: ‘Get the gov­ern­ment out of my life. I don’t want the gov­ern­ment telling me what to do.’”

Trump: They even lie about me. “They don’t want to say I’m sur­ging.”

Sanders. I’d be humbled by your sup­port. “I am not a theo­lo­gian, I am not an ex­pert on the bible, nor am I a Cath­ol­ic. I am just a United States sen­at­or from the small state of Ver­mont.”

Trump: The elite think they can tell you what to say and what not to say. “I have to be care­ful what I say about com­ing out of some­body’s—I have to be care­ful,” he said, re­fer­ring to his com­ments about FOX News’ Me­gyn Kelly in the first GOP de­bate. “Nose, ears, eyes—those are the only places I’m talk­ing about.”

Sanders: Every­body else in polit­ics thinks they know all the an­swers. I don’t. “I be­lieve from the bot­tom of my heart that it is vi­tally im­port­ant for those of us who hold dif­fer­ent views to be able to en­gage in a civil dis­course.”

IN­COM­PET­ENCE

Trump: I can fix what the elites won’t. “This is a move­ment that’s hap­pen­ing,” he said. “Now it’s time to really start, be­cause this is go­ing to hap­pen, I’m telling you, I’m not go­ing any­where.”

Sanders: Polit­ic­al and busi­ness elites can’t or won’t fix the biggest is­sue of our times: in­come in­equal­ity. “Mil­lions of people are work­ing long hours for abysmally low wages of $7.25 an hour, of $8 an hour, of $9 an hour, work­ing hard, but un­able to bring in enough money to ad­equately feed their kids. And yet, at that same time, 58 per­cent of all new in­come gen­er­ated is go­ing to the top 1 per­cent. You have got to think about the mor­al­ity of that, the justice of that, and wheth­er or not that is what we want to see in our coun­try.”

Trump: The es­tab­lish­ment is lazy. I’m not: “I have tre­mend­ous en­ergy. Tre­mend­ous. To a point where it’s al­most ri­dicu­lous if you think about it.”

Trump: The es­tab­lish­ment is stu­pid. I’m not.  “I think [Karl Rove] is a total in­com­pet­ent jerk.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34