Author Topic: Mr. Saccharin Sunshine Underwhelms  (Read 1417 times)

rangerrebew

Mr. Saccharin Sunshine Underwhelms
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:07:06 pm »
Mr. Saccharin Sunshine Underwhelms

Colbert debut marred by a weird display of Compassionate Conservatism 2.0.

By Larry Thornberry – 9.11.15

During the rare moments when Stephen Colbert wasn’t talking over him, Jeb! Bush said a couple of things the other night that go a long way to explaining why, with enough campaign cash to pay off the national debt and buy every adult in the lower-48 a Prius, Jeb!’s support as measured in the polls is stuck in the mid-single-digits.

Warning: You should be sitting down for this.

“I don’t think Barack Obama has bad motives,” Jeb! said. “I just think he’s wrong on a lot of issues.”

This is taking the concept of the loyal opposition a bit far.

Let’s see now Jeb!, no bad motivation on the part of the man who has lived his entire personal, religious, and academic life before taking the keys to 1600 marinated in Marxism and other left-wing phantasms, who saddled the country with government medicine, who has ramped up our national debt by more than all the presidents before him, who has consistently sucked up to our enemies and stiff-armed our friends in the world, who treats the Constitution as an irritation to be gotten around, who refuses to enforce federal laws that don’t comport with his leftist world-view, who is trying to hobble our economy in the name of a transparent fraud called climate change, who wants to extend government pre-school into the womb in order to help his education union buddies, who trades a clutch of Islamist warriors for one of the worst soldiers to ever wear olive drab, who does everything he can to advance Iran’s nuclear weapons program, who has miniaturized and feminized our military as the threats to our security that he has helped create grow, who has stoked the fires of racial division in the country, who has politicized the IRS and the Justice Department, and who is trying to impose a federal teeth-flossing schedule on the nation with a federal agency to enforce it. (OK, I made this last one up. But Obama hasn’t done this only because he hasn’t thought of it yet. Please don’t mention it to him.)

Geez, Jeb! No bad motivation in all of this? Perhaps you’ve spent the last six and a half years on Mars. (Does Mars need a president? You might break into double digits there.) The best that good sense, a charitable nature, and the benefit of the doubt could stretch on the question of Obama’s motivation would be agnosticism. And that would indeed be a stretch.

Jeb!, who early on said he wouldn’t run for president unless he could do so “joyfully” (leading one to believe that Oprah Winfrey and Dr. Phil would play major roles in his campaign), compounded the nonsense above with, “If you start with the premise that people have good motives. You can find common ground.”

This should have caused projectile groaning from coast to coast.

The popular but nonsensical notion that the irreconcilable differences of left and right, the contradictory and hard-held interests of various political factions, more pronounced now than ever in our history, can be papered over by a nice smile and a friendly handshake just won’t go away. Jeb!’s brother W, when he  ran, said he would “change the tone of Washington,” meaning he would make everyone all friendly and snuggly and cooperative. He didn’t, of course. Obama cooed along the same lines in 2008, and look how that worked out.

The political divisions are real and can’t be finessed with friendliness or charm. Not even by compassionate conservative 2.0, as Jeb! is attempting to be. There is very little common ground to be had in today’s Washington. This is not a Mr. Rogers moment. Solomon only got away with it because the baby didn’t have to be cut in half. This stunt wouldn’t work in today’s Washington. 

A better approach for contemporary candidates would be to concentrate efforts on winning for his/her side, not in charming the other side. This approach would be more honest, and probably more effective in this particularly prickly cycle. Look at the guy who holds a commanding lead on the Republican side. No hearts and flowers there. The only chance of overhauling the Donald would seem to call for realism without the rudeness. Saccharin sunshine won’t get it done this time. This is not a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

The American Spectator Foundation is the 501(c)(3) organization responsible for publishing The American Spectator magazine and training aspiring journalists who espouse traditional American values. Your contributions are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law. Each donor receives a year-end summary of their giving for tax purposes.

Copyright 2013, The American Spectator. All rights reserved.
Source URL: http://spectator.org/articles/64032/mr-saccharin-sunshine-underwhelms

Offline aligncare

Re: Mr. Saccharin Sunshine Underwhelms
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:33:25 pm »
Are there any Bush supporters left on this board? I've seen a lot of anti-Trumpers, some pro-Carson, a few pro-Walker, Kasich and Rubio. But almost no one defending Jeb here. Did Bush even make the cut for the big boys and girls debate this week?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:36:02 pm »
Un-freaking-believable.... 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 01:05:08 pm »
Are there any Bush supporters left on this board? I've seen a lot of anti-Trumpers, some pro-Carson, a few pro-Walker, Kasich and Rubio. But almost no one defending Jeb here. Did Bush even make the cut for the big boys and girls debate this week?
Where's Luis? He was a Jeb supporter but I haven't seen him around for a few weeks.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 01:17:55 pm »
Un-freaking-believable....

I believe that Jeb! is a large part of the reason for Donald Trump's political surge.

He is a smart, accomplished, well-spoken, and undeniably decent man... who has absolutely no clue what is happening to the lives and fortunes of ordinary Americans, because, as a charter member of America's political elite - he doesn't appear to be listening to them.

Mr. Trump, on the other hand has built his candidacy by openly appealing to the anxieties and fears of blue-collar Americans, and by pointing out how little the professional politicians in Washington seem to care. And he happens to be right about that, even if his manner is rudely bombastic and his analysis superficial.

Meanwhile, Jeb Bush persists verbalizing in his mild and thoughtful way about plans, propositions and proposals... while seeming to utterly miss the palpable sense of unease that grips the nation, while Donald Trump has chosen to embrace it with both arms and a full throat.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 01:53:09 pm »
I have yet to meet a person that supports Jeb! Bush.  I've met some Kasich supporters, but we live across the river from Ohio.  I put Kasich in the same book as Bush - white bread compassionate conservatives.  Exactly NOT what we need right now.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:09:58 pm »
I believe that Jeb! is a large part of the reason for Donald Trump's political surge.

He is a smart, accomplished, well-spoken, and undeniably decent man... who has absolutely no clue what is happening to the lives and fortunes of ordinary Americans, because, as a charter member of America's political elite - he doesn't appear to be listening to them.

Mr. Trump, on the other hand has built his candidacy by openly appealing to the anxieties and fears of blue-collar Americans, and by pointing out how little the professional politicians in Washington seem to care. And he happens to be right about that, even if his manner is rudely bombastic and his analysis superficial.

Meanwhile, Jeb Bush persists verbalizing in his mild and thoughtful way about plans, propositions and proposals... while seeming to utterly miss the palpable sense of unease that grips the nation, while Donald Trump has chosen to embrace it with both arms and a full throat.

...well said and couldn't agree more
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Longiron

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 04:15:59 pm »
I have yet to meet a person that supports Jeb! Bush.  I've met some Kasich supporters, but we live across the river from Ohio.  I put Kasich in the same book as Bush - white bread compassionate conservatives.  Exactly NOT what we need right now.

No one has BUT he is # 2 in the polls, if one belives them?  The pollsters are the only ones voting for him and that is the deal they cut with the RINOGOP to keep their boy alive in the race. They have new plan now and that is support Carson and Carly to try and split and take some voters from TRUMP to create a GAP so Bushie can come in and get the nomination. Cannot believe Ted Cruz is as low as he is in the RINOGOP polls but cannot have TRUMP and CRUZ on top. They hate CRUZ as much as TRUMP. Now they are saying the only supporters TRUMP has is the non college educated and only Blue Collar supports him ???? they are really struggling. Maybe working AMERICA want to see the jobs come back and new ones created for AMERICANS and realize the Union Obama fan clubs did not come through?  :patriot:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:17:00 pm by Longiron »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 01:39:14 am »
aligncare wrote above:
[[ Are there any Bush supporters left on this board? ]]

No names, but there was at least one.
He was so vociferous for ¡Jeb! he made me think he was "on the payroll"...

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 02:03:38 am »
aligncare wrote above:
[[ Are there any Bush supporters left on this board? ]]

No names, but there was at least one.
He was so vociferous for ¡Jeb! he made me think he was "on the payroll"...

Where the hell is Luis, anyway?   Who upset him THIS time?   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 02:17:18 am »
Just wasn't getting the love for Jeb! he was hoping for, I guess.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 02:20:57 am »
Just wasn't getting the love for Jeb! he was hoping for, I guess.

:laugh:

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 03:54:25 am »
Jeb is the one person running who never, ever had any chance whatsoever to win.  It's only going to get worse for him...and probably Hillary too.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:58:00 am by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 06:29:00 am »
I have no interest in defending Bush, but he has too much money to discount this early.  I still think he is going to be the nominee, although I personally like most of the other candidates better.

I miss you Luis.