Author Topic: Today in Politics: In New Poll, Ben Carson Pulls Up Alongside an Idling Donald Trump  (Read 735 times)

bkepley

Nick Corasaniti
NYT

Good Tuesday morning. The day before the second Republican debate, campaigns are honing their strategies, Twitter is looking at donations, and polls are rearranging the numbers and the leader board. As big names fall, and Donald J. Trump sees only a modest gain, Ben Carson no longer has to look ahead to see the front-runner: He can just look to his side.

Mr. Carson has amassed considerable new support from Republican primary and caucus voters and is now running nearly even with Mr. Trump as their pick for the party’s presidential nomination, according to a new New York Times/CBS News poll.
The proportion of Republican voters favoring Mr. Carson rose to 23 percent from 6 percent in the previous CBS News poll, which was taken just before the first televised Republican debate in early August. Over that same period, Mr. Trump made modest gains, to 27 percent from 24 percent.
The New York Times/CBS News poll was conducted from Sept. 9 to 13 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus six percentage points for Republican primary voters. Additional findings from the full poll will be released on Tuesday evening, a day before the next Republican presidential debate.

More here: http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/09/15/today-in-politics-in-new-poll-carson-pulls-up-alongside-an-idling-trump/?_r=0

Margin of error in this poll says they are now tied.

Offline libertybele

I am looking forward to the debate tomorrow night.  Trump, Carson and Bush will be the focus.  The moderators' questions of course will be skewed to try to make Bush shine. That is who the liberal media wants as nominee.  Given the chance and the appropriate questions, I think Trump and Carson will crush Bush.  I do feel that Trump has a more powerful and dynamic personality then Carson and Carson needs to be able to prove that he has some political knowledge and is ready to lead this country.

I hope that the underdogs like Cruz and Fiorina are given a chance to shine.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

bkepley

I am looking forward to the debate tomorrow night.  Trump, Carson and Bush will be the focus.  The moderators' questions of course will be skewed to try to make Bush shine.

I disagree.  Bush might go after Trump but the media want to see Fiorina vs. Trump.  You're a little too paranoid about Bush.

Offline aligncare

I disagree.  Bush might go after Trump but the media want to see Fiorina vs. Trump.  You're a little too paranoid about Bush.

Viewers created this media monster by feeding the beast (eyeballs on TV screens). And now it's completely out of control. It's a modern-day Roman Coliseum. Tigers and bears thrown into the arena for enjoyment of blood sport.

Offline libertybele

Paranoid about Bush?  I have every reason to be. I live in the state where he was governor.  I know first hand the negative impact of his stance on illegal immigration and "common core" have had on Floridians.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

bkepley

Paranoid about Bush?  I have every reason to be. I live in the state where he was governor.  I know first hand the negative impact of his stance on illegal immigration and "common core" have had on Floridians.

OK but I don't think the media is out to help him.  Just my opinion. 

Offline MBB1984

Margin of error in this poll says they are now tied.

Six point margin of error says it is just as likely Trump is leading by 8-10 percentage points.

bkepley

Six point margin of error says it is just as likely Trump is leading by 8-10 percentage points.

Or just as likely that Carson is leading hence they are tied.

Offline MBB1984

Or just as likely that Carson is leading hence they are tied.

No.  According to the poll and its margin of error, Trump could be ahead as much as 10 points or down as much as 2.   Much more likely Trump is leading by  a range of two to six points, which is close, but not a tie.