Author Topic: Trump says high pay for CEOs is a joke and 'disgraceful'  (Read 3508 times)

Offline MBB1984

Re: Trump says high pay for CEOs is a joke and 'disgraceful'
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 03:26:51 pm »
A conservative position would be that the Government should  butt out.

Some legislation is probably necessary, such as elimination of poison pills, etc.  Ideally, hostile takeovers should be much easier to achieve.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 03:34:14 pm »
Apparently the stockholders are not overly concerned.

Due to Rational ignorance.  I receive shareholder notices all the time concerning corporate matters, but due to my work schedule, I do not have the time to vote or voice my views.  It is not economically efficient to me to investigate and vote when I own a tiny percentage of ownership and I am losing the opportunity cost of more productive endeavors.  I am not alone, there are countless thousands like me, and therefore, a relatively small percentage of shareholders make the decisions often to their own benefit.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:39 pm »
How many of those company stocks are buried invisibly into mutual funds? It's no wonder the owners of the companies don't know what their CEO's are getting paid, since they may not even know they own stakes.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 04:31:08 pm »
Some legislation is probably necessary, such as elimination of poison pills, etc.  Ideally, hostile takeovers should be much easier to achieve.

Right more Government interference in business  will make things better. Right? 
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 05:24:23 pm »
What Trump is saying here is that so long as someone makes money for oneself, he ought to be rewarded handsomely, but if someone makes a lot of money for other people, he should not be rewarded commensurate to the increase in wealth generated for stockholders and bondholders.  This is ludicrous.

I wonder if Trump's many real estate investment trusts ever compensate Trump or his real estate management firms for  services such as collecting rents and finding tenants?  I doubt Trump performs these services at a price that is below market, in fact I have no doubt he charges a hefty premium for the Trump name.  Seems to me we have a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

To take Trump's argument the other way: if I am an owner of a firm, don't I have the right to pay my managers whatever amount I want?  Stockholders are the owners of corporations, and the board is there to represent their interests.  If a board is acting outside the interest of the stockholders (and I readily concede that many do) then I can easily divest myself of that stock.

I would much prefer to make these decisions myself than to have Donald Trump make them for me.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:29:57 pm by massadvj »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 05:33:19 pm »
How many of those company stocks are buried invisibly into mutual funds? It's no wonder the owners of the companies don't know what their CEO's are getting paid, since they may not even know they own stakes.

But you can bet the mutual fund managers are paying attention.  If a company is overweight in executive compensation it will find itself getting divested by mutual funds.