Author Topic: White Guilt Over Slavery Is Not Helping Black America  (Read 415 times)

rangerrebew

White Guilt Over Slavery Is Not Helping Black America
« on: September 13, 2015, 12:23:23 pm »
White Guilt Over Slavery Is Not Helping Black America

By Jack Kelly - September 13, 2015

I’m glad I live in a time of automobiles, air conditioning, indoor plumbing, the Internet and great medical advances.

But if I had to live in an earlier period, I’d want to be a soldier in the Union Army. I can think of no greater cause than to fight to eradicate America’s original sin.

Slavery isn’t America’s original sin because it was unique, or uniquely horrible here. If prostitution is “the world’s oldest profession,” slave trading is second. Since the dawn of recorded history, slavery has been practiced in nearly every society known to man.

The words “slavery” and “benign” ought never to appear in the same sentence, but slaves in the American South and the British Caribbean (usually) were treated less harshly than in most other places where slavery has been practiced — especially in ancient times.

Our word “slave” is derived from “Slav,” the peoples most frequently enslaved during Roman times. Throughout history, only a relatively few slaves have been black. And for every African brought to North America on (mostly British) slave ships, dozens and possibly hundreds more were taken east by Arab slave traders.

What made slavery America’s original sin was its violent conflict with our founding principles. If “all men are created equal, and are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights,” what gives some men the right to own others?

Racism is as ancient and ubiquitous as slavery. The word some Chinese use for “foreigner” can be translated as “foreign devil.” Russian slang for black Africans translates to “wood chips.” Chinese, Koreans and Filipinos can attest that until recently Japan was among the most racist nations on Earth.

But it wasn’t until after Britain’s “Glorious Revolution” of 1688 and the American Revolution (1775-1783) that slavery and racism became widely and inextricably linked. Before then, not many thought men were created equal or that God-given rights took precedence over the whims of kings and emperors.

And before publication of John Locke’s “Second Treatise on Civil Government” (1689) and the Declaration of Independence (1776), not many believed the people were sovereign and that government was supposed to serve them, not the other way around.

Slavery was considered mostly a matter of bad luck. It was common practice for survivors to be enslaved when a tribe lost a war. Wealthy Romans bragged about how learned and cultured their Greek slaves were. That’s why they bought them to tutor their children.

“If God wills that … until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword … the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether,” said Abraham Lincoln in his Second Inaugural Address.

Four hundred thousand Union soldiers died to free the slaves. That blood debt was paid long ago. Abraham Lincoln was white. So were those who voted for him. About 90 percent of Union soldiers were white.

It says something good about today’s white Americans that so many feel guilty for a sin neither they nor most of their ancestors ever committed. But white guilt has a pernicious effect on our politics.

The assertion that only people of certain ethnic groups can be racist is pure racism. Black racism is as vile and prevalent as any other kind.

Slavery was horrible, but no black American living today has suffered from it. Most are better off than if their ancestors had remained in Africa.

The black community is uniquely troubled, in large part because white racism is blamed for social dysfunction that has other causes. To address those causes, white Americans must abandon an undeserved guilt, and black racists who blame all their problems on white racism must stop preying upon it.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/09/13/white_guilt_over_slavery_is_not_helping_black_america_128065.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:24:26 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline aligncare

Re: White Guilt Over Slavery Is Not Helping Black America
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 12:35:17 pm »
Thoughtful, well developed piece. Really, really liked it.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 03:08:11 pm »
I don't feel any "white guilt over slavery". My  grandparents [both sides] didn't get here  until the beginning of the 20th century. We never owned a slave. We never killed an Indian. So, if the Black pathology [Oops, "community"] hasn't caught up, despite the taxes we've paid most of my life to carry an inordinate number of them, tough. Not my fault. not my problem.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 03:27:13 pm »
I don't feel any "white guilt over slavery". My  grandparents [both sides] didn't get here  until the beginning of the 20th century. We never owned a slave. We never killed an Indian. So, if the Black pathology [Oops, "community"] hasn't caught up, despite the taxes we've paid most of my life to carry an inordinate number of them, tough. Not my fault. not my problem.

I totally understand your point of view.

My Sicilian ancestors were slaves. There were 3 major slave revolts in Italy between 140 and 70 B.C. One was led by Sparticus in central Italy, the other two were in Sicily. These 3 uprisings are called the Servile Wars, since the Latin for 'slave' is servus.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 03:56:59 pm »
American blacks have an average IQ of 85, versus whites at just over 100, Asians at about 105, etc.

More than any other factor it explains the situation today. Blacks can't keep up in school, or college, even though they get in for reasons other than qualification.

At the bottom of the labor scale, illegal immigrants are the desired workers.

And for unexplained reasons, blacks are seven times more prone to commit violent crimes. 

This all leaves unskilled people, angry, with criminal records, etc. Who wants them for anything?

They are taking the first seats on the "Left Behind" buses. Business would rather have machines or illegals, than them. Society reluctantly feeds, houses and jails them. They reproduce without unions.

"Left Behind," angry about it.  Hence "Black Lives Matter." and "Hands Up Don't Shoot."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 02:22:56 am »
Truth_seeker, thanks for an honest post.

There are some problems that don't have solutions.
There are some questions to which there aren't any answers.

In any society in which they are interspersed among other races, blacks will always end up "at the bottom". Always. That must be a tough row for them to hoe, but it is what it is.

The Bell Curve rules, the Benjamin Carsons of their race notwithstanding.

The only solution for the rest of us, is to recognize this reality, and speak it outloud.

Could this be why -- until they were dismantled under the guise of egalitarianism and social correctness -- wherever high concentrations of blacks had to live in relative proximity to whites, social systems were created to generally keep the races separated except where absolutely necessary to interact?

If you look back in time to those days, you will discover that there was less black crime, significantly more traditional black families, and there were chances for blacks "at the top of the curve" to get educations and prosper. I daresay that even amongst the lower-status blacks in the Jim Crow era, that many if not most of them could read and write and comprehend better than their modern descendants. Perhaps they could even read cursive!

But such systems were deemed discriminatory, and had to be replaced with a welfare state in which 75-80% of blacks are illegitimate, where high schools (see recent article regarding California) hand out diplomas to dropouts who probably can't even read them. Where the number of blacks involved in criminal activity is so high that in some places 40% or more of the males are either in prison or have criminal records.

But hey -- it's all about "freedom" and how black lives matter, right?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:53:53 am »
Why should anyone feel guilty about anything their ancestors did? Theirs is not anyone's burden to bear.