Author Topic: California Bill Would Ban Confederate Names on Public Buildings  (Read 309 times)

Offline Paladin

California Bill Would Ban Confederate Names on Public Buildings
« on: September 11, 2015, 06:28:56 am »
Will this ridiculous posturing ever play itself out?

"Historical censorship continues in the wake of June’s mass shooting in a black church in South Carolina. Legislators in California have just voted overwhelmingly to ban the naming of public buildings after Confederate figures. The Los Angeles Times reports:

'[The] bill would affect two schools named after Gen. Robert E. Lee, one in Long Beach and the other in San Diego.

Senate passed the bill, SB 539, by a 31-2 vote, with two Republicans voting against the measure.

“If anything, this is revisionist history” said Republican Sen. Jim Nielsen of Gerber, one of the senators who      voted       against the legislation.

The Assembly approved the bill in late August. It now goes to Gov. Jerry Brown for consideration.'

The best way to avoid repeating history is to forget it. That’s the saying, right?"

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/09/09/california-bill-would-ban-confederate-names-on-public-buildings/

I have a personal connection with this story, minor though it may be. I attended kindergarten and 1st grade at one of the two schools, the Robert E. Lee in Long Beach, many, many years ago.

I can but wonder how far this will extend before sanity returns. There was a junior high school (believe they call them middle schools today) in Long Beach named after slave owner Thomas Jefferson. I did not attend it but my brother, sister, and any number of friends did.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.