Author Topic: How the GOP Pretends Not to Authorize Obama’s Agenda  (Read 406 times)

rangerrebew

How the GOP Pretends Not to Authorize Obama’s Agenda
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:05:24 pm »
How the GOP Pretends Not to Authorize Obama’s Agenda

Andrew C. McCarthy

September 8, 2015 11:00 AM

In my weekend column I offered a concrete plan to undermine President Obama’s atrocious Iran deal. It is an easy one, because all that the Republican-controlled Congress has to do, if it really wants to derail this thing, is follow the law that they wrote and Obama signed, the Corker law — the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act of 2015, sometimes also known as “Corker-Cardin,” after Senate sponsors Bob Corker (R., Tenn.) and Ben Cardin (D., Md.). Sadly, in another iteration of the anger that is the wind beneath Donald Trump’s wings, many readers insist that GOP leadership has no intention to block Obama on Iran. If that is so, it is passing strange.

The national-security threat here is grave. Plus, how much credibility can Republicans have (maybe I should just end the sentence there) in complaining about Obama’s disregard of federal law if they won’t even follow the law they themselves enacted just four months ago? In my column I demonstrate that Obama has failed to comply with the crystal-clear conditions spelled out in the Corker law. This is indisputable. “Side deals” that the statute explicitly requires to be disclosed to Congress — involving, for example, IAEA inspection terms and Iran’s prior nuclear work — have been withheld.

Moreover, not addressed in my column is yet another alarming side deal Obama has refused to disclose: one that shows the president is deceiving the public when he preposterously claims that sanctions will “snap back” if Iran is caught cheating. (I’ll have more to say about this in another post. For now, see this important Real Clear World report, particularly the subsection “Fallacious ‘Snapback’ Sanctions.”)

RELATED:

Obama’s Iran Deal Is Still Far From Settled Under the Corker statute, in order to get the benefit of the review process that enables him to “win” approval of his Iran deal with the support of only one-third (plus one) of one house of Congress, Obama had to provide the entirety of the Iran deal, including all relevant side deals between any parties, by July 19. He has failed to do this. Thus, Congress must not go forward with the review, because (a) that is what the law says, (b) forcing full disclosure is the solemn political commitment Republicans made to voters in justifying the wayward Corker review process, and (c) if they go through with the review process, they will be deemed to have forgiven Obama’s default. In this connection, it is necessary to address what has brought us to this perilous point: the GOP scheme I call “Surrender . . . Then Play-Fight.” It is a form of political gamesmanship that, as we are seeing, has dire legal and national-security consequences. 

Some ‘Victory’ — Two-Thirds of the Senate and the Public Oppose Obama’s Iran Deal “Surrender . . . Then Play-Fight ” is Republican leadership’s shameful approach to “governing.” The quotes around “governing” are intentional. After voters, having trusted the GOP’s 2014 campaign promises to block Obama’s agenda, gave Republicans control of both houses of Congress, Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) notoriously said that the party’s primary objective was to show the public that it could “govern.” As I countered at the time, this was gibberish. Governing is principally an executive exercise. Presidents govern, while legislators prescribe.

Prescribing law and monitoring the administration’s execution of it are crucial functions, but they are not governing, because lawmakers are powerless to carry out policy. Worse, the “show we can govern” tripe is just a rationalization for capitulating to Obama. GOP leaders said they must prove they can overcome legislative gridlock and (all together now) “get things done.” Perforce, the way a legislature “gets things done” is by helping the president do the things he wants to do. Since the president is currently Obama, the people who elected Republicans obviously wanted them to stop things from getting done. The resulting rage of its increasingly estranged base puts the GOP in a quandary: Republicans must avoid being seen as supporting the things they are getting done — i.e., the Obama agenda. So some sleight-of-hand is in order, some schemes to grease the wheels for Obama while posing as staunch Obama opponents. Among the most pernicious is “Surrender . . .
Then Play-Fight.”

It is a legislative template for obscuring the GOP’s enabling of Obama, a ruse designed to make it appear that the president is getting his way with only minority support (i.e., his hardcore Democratic supporters), while Republicans stridently condemn what they have actually voted to allow. Obama is delighted to play along, because he gets what he wants.

MORE

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/423679/corker-cardin-congress-obama-iran-nuclear-deal

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: How the GOP Pretends Not to Authorize Obama’s Agenda
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:22:22 pm »
I find it interesting that this Presidential cycle is witnessing so much of the baring of the endemic corruption of the American political and governmental system.  It is as if a critical mass has developed and the chain reaction has started...Trump and the money of lobbyists and special interests, Hillary's "privileged" email arrangement, Congressional venality and double-dealing, Huckabee's religious hucksterism and, above it all, Obama's quest to destroy and reconstruct an entire society in his own image.

This is not going to be politics as usual.  The rancid boil is getting lanced.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: How the GOP Pretends Not to Authorize Obama’s Agenda
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:08:24 am »
I find it interesting that this Presidential cycle is witnessing so much of the baring of the endemic corruption of the American political and governmental system.  It is as if a critical mass has developed and the chain reaction has started...Trump and the money of lobbyists and special interests, Hillary's "privileged" email arrangement, Congressional venality and double-dealing, Huckabee's religious hucksterism and, above it all, Obama's quest to destroy and reconstruct an entire society in his own image.

This is not going to be politics as usual.  The rancid boil is getting lanced.

From your lips to God's ear my friend!  The lancing is FAR overdue and I hope it leads to the curing of the disease!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien