Author Topic: The Wrong Fight for Christians to Wage / Kim Davis is no Rosa Parks / Be Careful What You Wish For In the “Kim Davis” Case  (Read 740 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
The judge was correct to release her, he either exercised good judgment, received sound advice...or both.

Now the issue can be dealt with and discussed - or argued - in a deliberate manner without the specter of martyrdom surrounding it.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

It is not wrong for them to fight. Yet the left has won. It will be law at some point. Christians must bend over for gays. No pun intended.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
During the Civil Rights cases of the 50s and 60s I do NOT recall Orville Faubus and George Wallace, arguing that they could maltreat and discriminate against blacks, because of the Bible or their religion (although that was indeed part of their great Suthron culture).

This episode and others, whereby SOME Christians invoke their religious beliefs, to justify maltreatment and discrimination against gays.

I HAVE heard moderate voices stating that the religious far right is way off base, claiming their religious liberty and freedom is at stake, as if their "liberty" is superior to the liberty of a same-sex couple that merely wants to get a civil license from a civil public servant, and has their liberty usurped by a religious busy-body.

The clerk in question sounds like she has been waiting for her 15 minutes, and now sees a book deal, but doesn't want to lose her $80,000 per year job.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Godzilla

During the Civil Rights cases of the 50s and 60s I do NOT recall Orville Faubus and George Wallace, arguing that they could maltreat and discriminate against blacks, because of the Bible or their religion (although that was indeed part of their great Suthron culture).

This episode and others, whereby SOME Christians invoke their religious beliefs, to justify maltreatment and discrimination against gays.

I HAVE heard moderate voices stating that the religious far right is way off base, claiming their religious liberty and freedom is at stake, as if their "liberty" is superior to the liberty of a same-sex couple that merely wants to get a civil license from a civil public servant, and has their liberty usurped by a religious busy-body.

The clerk in question sounds like she has been waiting for her 15 minutes, and now sees a book deal, but doesn't want to lose her $80,000 per year job.

My aunt, back in the mid '90s, wanted to put up a Hannukah menorah in the town square in December... alongside the yearly Christmas tree.  It was so she could show her daughter that Hannukah is celebrated here, and wasn't just a family event.

Well, the town council hemmed and hawed until the last minute, and when pushed... refused to allow any religious displays that year.  The took down the Christmas tree.

And all I heard was a mouthful about how Christians are 'persecuted', where they can't even celebrate Christmas without offending someone.

That taught me a valuable lesson.  There are many who seek to force all to follow the practices of their faith.  And are willing to punish everyone if their agenda is questioned.

The 'new' call for 'religious liberty' is a special status they seek as a shield when they force ithers to follow their religious precepts.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:54:54 pm by Godzilla »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My aunt, back in the mid '90s, wanted to put up a Hannukah menorah in the town square in December... alongside the yearly Christmas tree.  It was so she could show her daughter that Hannukah is celebrated here, and wasn't just a family event.

Well, the town council hemmed and hawed until the last minute, and when pushed... refused to allow any religious displays that year.  The took down the Christmas tree.

And all I heard was a mouthful about how Christians are 'persecuted', where they can't even celebrate Christmas without offending someone.

That taught me a valuable lesson.  There are many who seek to force all to follow the practices of their faith.  And are willing to punish everyone if their agenda is questioned.

The 'new' call for 'religious liberty' is a special status they seek as a shield when they force ithers to follow their religious precepts.
It took the Southern Baptist Convention 150 years, from 1845 until 1995 to officially apologize for supporting slavery.

These modern anti-gay movements are the successors to their previous anti-slavery, anti-Catholics, anti-Jew, anti-immigrant, etc. dating way back.

It is simply who they are, and what they do.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

bkepley

It took the Southern Baptist Convention 150 years, from 1845 until 1995 to officially apologize for supporting slavery.

These modern anti-gay movements are the successors to their previous anti-slavery, anti-Catholics, anti-Jew, anti-immigrant, etc. dating way back.

It is simply who they are, and what they do.

It's not an anti-gay movement.  The gays are on the move.

Godzilla

One Pope, in the Dark Ages, decreed that all Jews had to leave Rome. The Jews did not want to leave, and so the Pope challenged them to a disputation to prove that they could remain. No one, however, wanted the responsibility... until the synagogue sexton, Moishe, volunteered.

As there was nobody else who wanted to go, Moishe was given the task. But because he knew only Hebrew, a silent debate was agreed. The day of the debate came, and they went to St. Peter's Square to sort out the decision. First the Pope waved his hand around his head. Moishe pointed firmly at the ground.

The Pope, in some surprise, held up three fingers. In response, Moishe gave him the middle finger.

The crowd started to complain, but the Pope thoughtfully waved them to be quiet. He took out a bottle of wine and a wafer, holding them up. Moishe took out an apple, and held it up.

The Pope, to the people’s surprise, said, "I concede. This man is too good. The Jews can stay."

Later, the Pope was asked what the debate had meant. He explained, "First, I showed him the Heavens, to show that God is everywhere. He pointed at the ground to signify that God is right here with us. I showed him three fingers, for the Trinity. He reminded me that there is One God common to both our religions. I showed him wine and a wafer, for God's forgiveness. With an apple, he showed me original sin. The man was a master of silent debate."

In the Jewish corner, Moishe had the same question put to him, and answered, "It was all nonsense, really. First, he told me that this whole town would be free of Jews. I told him, Go to Hell! We’re staying right here! Then, he told me we had three days to get out. I told him just what I thought of that proposal." An older woman asked, "But what about the part at the end?" "That?" said Moishe with a shrug, "Well, I saw him take out his lunch, so I took out mine."

Oceander

One Pope, in the Dark Ages, decreed that all Jews had to leave Rome. The Jews did not want to leave, and so the Pope challenged them to a disputation to prove that they could remain. No one, however, wanted the responsibility... until the synagogue sexton, Moishe, volunteered.

As there was nobody else who wanted to go, Moishe was given the task. But because he knew only Hebrew, a silent debate was agreed. The day of the debate came, and they went to St. Peter's Square to sort out the decision. First the Pope waved his hand around his head. Moishe pointed firmly at the ground.

The Pope, in some surprise, held up three fingers. In response, Moishe gave him the middle finger.

The crowd started to complain, but the Pope thoughtfully waved them to be quiet. He took out a bottle of wine and a wafer, holding them up. Moishe took out an apple, and held it up.

The Pope, to the people’s surprise, said, "I concede. This man is too good. The Jews can stay."

Later, the Pope was asked what the debate had meant. He explained, "First, I showed him the Heavens, to show that God is everywhere. He pointed at the ground to signify that God is right here with us. I showed him three fingers, for the Trinity. He reminded me that there is One God common to both our religions. I showed him wine and a wafer, for God's forgiveness. With an apple, he showed me original sin. The man was a master of silent debate."

In the Jewish corner, Moishe had the same question put to him, and answered, "It was all nonsense, really. First, he told me that this whole town would be free of Jews. I told him, Go to Hell! We’re staying right here! Then, he told me we had three days to get out. I told him just what I thought of that proposal." An older woman asked, "But what about the part at the end?" "That?" said Moishe with a shrug, "Well, I saw him take out his lunch, so I took out mine."

:bigsilly: