Author Topic: Iran thanks Obama – builds new nuclear reactor  (Read 376 times)

rangerrebew

Iran thanks Obama – builds new nuclear reactor
« on: September 09, 2015, 11:23:15 am »
Iran thanks Obama – builds new nuclear reactor
'The contract for 2 power plants has been inked with Russia'
Published: 9 hours ago

author-image Douglas Ernst About | Email | Archive

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. (Image: CNN screenshot)

Iran’s mullahs are thanking the Obama administration for agreeing to a nuclear deal — and they’re showing their appreciation by building a new reactor.

Iran’s southern Bushehr province will be the location of a second nuclear reactor constructed this year. Russia has pledged to assist in the building process, the Washington Free Beacon reported Tuesday.

“The contract for building two [new] power plants has been inked with Russia and the preliminary steps and their designing have already started,” Ali Akbar Salhi, head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization, said Monday, the state-controlled Fars News Agency reported.

The State Department told the Free Beacon in January that the construction of light-water nuclear reactors is not prohibited “in general” by U.N. Security Council resolutions.

“Construction of the third power plant will also start two years after the second power plant will be launched,” Salhi added.

Get the hottest, most important news stories on the Internet – delivered FREE to your inbox as soon as they break! Take just 30 seconds and sign up for WND’s Email News Alerts!

Critics of the Obama administration’s nuclear deal with Iran say billions of dollars in sanctions relief will be used to foment terror across the Middle East and undercut U.S. foreign policy. In response to the July 14 deal, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei vowed to defy U.S. diplomacy in the region.

“I don’t know how to interpret it at this point in time, except to take it at face value, that that’s his policy,” Secretary of State John Kerry said in response, Reuters reported July 21. “But I do know that often comments are made publicly and things can evolve that are different. If it is the policy, it’s very disturbing, it’s very troubling.”

President Obama spent Tuesday securing the 41 votes in the U.S. Senate needed to prevent a Republican-backed resolution disapproving of the nuclear deal.

“This agreement with the duplicitous and untrustworthy Iranian regime falls short of what I had envisioned. However, I have decided the alternatives are even more dangerous,” said Democrat Ron Wyden of Oregon, Reuters reported. Wyden joined Democratic Senators Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut and Gary Peters of Michigan in support of the deal.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/09/iran-thanks-obama-builds-new-nuclear-reactor/#ETAz4AbL9RdE3cCY.99

Offline flowers

Re: Iran thanks Obama – builds new nuclear reactor
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:11:47 pm »
Doesn't Russia worry Iran will nuke one of their interests or country at some point?

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:31:18 pm »
Doesn't Russia worry Iran will nuke one of their interests or country at some point?

I suspect their calculation is that they are down Iran's list of enemies a fair bit - that there are plenty of attractive targets like the U.S., Israel, Europe,Riyadh or New Delhi well ahead of them.  They can play some politics here and feel secure.  Of course, Russia's been wrong about that kind of thing before.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 07:33:50 pm »
I suspect their calculation is that they are down Iran's list of enemies a fair bit - that there are plenty of attractive targets like the U.S., Israel, Europe,Riyadh or New Delhi well ahead of them.  They can play some politics here and feel secure.  Of course, Russia's been wrong about that kind of thing before.
Thanks for info.

Godzilla

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »
Light water reactors cannot produce weaponizable by-products.  That's why we offered them to North Korea back in the '90s.

What's the point of this article?  For it's just really stating that they started building a power plant.