Author Topic: Queen hailed as 'rock of stability' as she prepares to become longest-reigning monarch  (Read 673 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

The Queen has been hailed as a "beacon of womankind" and a "rock of stability" as tributes poured in on the day she is due to become Britain's longest-reigning monarch.

Although the exact time she will achieve the record is not known, but the Palace estimates that Her Majesty will surpass her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria by a few minutes at around 5.30pm, having reigned for approximately 23,226 days, 16 hours and 30 minutes.

To mark the occasion, a new picture taken by celebrity photographer Mary McCartney - the daughter of former Beatle Sir Paul - has been released.

It shows the head of state sitting at her desk in Buckingham Palace undertaking official business.

Speaking ahead of the "historic moment", David Cameron paid tribute to the monarch for her "extraordinary record" in addition to her "grace and dignity".

Over the last 63 years, Her Majesty has been a rock of stability in a world of constant change and her selfless sense of service and duty has earned admiration not only in Britain, but right across the globe. It is only right that today we should celebrate her extraordinary record, as well as the grace and dignity with which she serves our country.

– David Cameron

There had been speculation that a celebratory private event was planned for today.

However, in keeping with the Queen's business-as-usual approach, Wednesday will be a normal working day for the monarch with no special dinner party, despite the nationwide fanfare.

The Queen is usually taking her traditional summer break at her private Scottish home of Balmoral at this time of year, but will open the new Scottish Borders railway and take a stream train ride with First Minister Nicola Sturgeon to mark its opening.

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-09-09/queen-hailed-as-rock-of-stability-as-she-prepares-to-become-longest-reigning-monarch/

Well, she'll likely abdicate soon now. She wanted the record, and she got it.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
She's a class act, that's for sure.

Would Charles succeed her?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
He will. There'll be no messing with the succession rules again. One change a century is quite enough thanks!  :laugh:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
He will. There'll be no messing with the succession rules again. One change a century is quite enough thanks!  :laugh:
You don't think Parliament will cause a ruckus over Camilla like they did with Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson?

Anyway, I was always told as a kid to respect the Queen, even if we're not subject to her rule. Perhaps that's part of the reason I think I'm a sixtysomething Canadian in a twentysomething American's body. :/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Nah - the Camilla problem was sorted out before the marriage was permitted to take place.

It would have been a LOT different if she'd still been of childbearing age, but since she wasn't a lot of the objections became moot. Can't exactly object to the heir to the throne marrying a divorcee when the church he'll be head of accepts divorce (and was pretty much created for that purpose!)
Besides, it's not as if Camilla is Catholic.

Oceander

Charles could do some serious damage to the Crown.  Were I her, I'd have planned to "push" Charles into "retirement" by now in favor of William.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Monarchs come and go. The Crown is remarkably resistant to damage, because it isn't constrained by laws. Tradition is the thing that keeps it in check. When Charles is crowned, those traditions will act on him too.

Offline musiclady

I'll say it unashamedly.  I love Queen Elizabeth.  I respect her.  I admire her.  She's cool.

And I'm glad she beat great, great grandma Victoria's record.

Long live the Queen!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

One of my favorite photos....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Oceander

Monarchs come and go. The Crown is remarkably resistant to damage, because it isn't constrained by laws. Tradition is the thing that keeps it in check. When Charles is crowned, those traditions will act on him too.

I would have said that of the US Presidency as well, until now.

Offline musiclady

AbaraXas - I like your photos even better!   

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Well, as the longest-reigning monarch, her primary achievement seems to have been overseeing the near-total demise of Britain as a nation and as a culture.

God save the queen!

Oceander

Well, as the longest-reigning monarch, her primary achievement seems to have been overseeing the near-total demise of Britain as a nation and as a culture.

God save the queen!

That wouldn't be her achievement.  The Queen has a lot of behind-the-scenes persuasive power, but does not have a lot of actual power.  The move toward dismantling the British Empire was driven by a lot of things, including a savage labor party coming into power after WWII and the realization that the UK could no longer afford to hold onto its empire, particularly as various of the constituent countries were getting more and more restless.

Offline flowers

Charles will do some damage. He is a huge global warming guy.